Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Postby kennyh » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:09 pm

Looks brilliant Doug, is that the wall foam you mentioned to me by the way? 2"? If so it really does do the job. Great work!
kennyh

Postby dkightley » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 pm

That's the stuff! Dead easy to work with...it cuts with anything from a scalpel to a hand-held hacksaw blade, sands using anything that's rough!...and glues together with evo-stick.

The only down side is the mess you get when sanding, etc! But a vacuum cleaner works quickly to clear up.

Here's what I use: https://www.diy.com/departments/rectice ... 296_BQ.prd

Don't forget to let the board sit for a couple of weeks once you peel the aluminium film off each side. Try peeling off one side and look at it half an hour later...it'll be bent like a banana. Peel the second side off....and it'll flatten out....just like magic!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby kennyh » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 am

Many thanks Doug, and also for the link. Although it is not happening in the next few weeks I will be attempting the first try at landscaping and have been looking at the options on youtube.

I'd seen the spray foam method which I'd already thought of to be honest but with the scale of T I think it's overkill.

I then saw a bloke using scrunched up paper and covering with Modroc, now that looked effective and mess free.

However this 2" foam board looks to be a winner, and at 2 inches in this scale it produces all the height you'll need unless the diorama is set in the Alps. I'm asuming the "craggy" look will just come with trial and error? Many thanks again and I look forward to seeing your layout progress.

As an aside, I am now set up with my 4 x 2 board, in a snug back room I've had permission to take over :mrgreen: Just filling in all the countersinks where I screwed it together and waiting to sand it down for action.

A bit of a hitch with my order though, the rolling stock I ordered was not in stock but should be here Monday, then the whole order will be sent out.......I'll have a 3 month play with it then whilst the dark nights are with us then continue next winter.

Just need to get my hands on it now and see how it all works. Again Doug thanks and excellent work!!
kennyh

Postby dkightley » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Its 1st February.....and I think its time for a recap of where I am with things. I thought I'd done this before....but can't find a post. For reference over the next few months, I'm documenting progress on the layout in a little more detail so I can see how things are progressing......

Layout boards:
All boards made and jointing methods finished.
Backdrop boards (5 off) made and most theatre hinges fitted. Boards yet to have cut-outs done for track & Tamar Bridge; boards to be surfaced with cotton sheet and image applied using tee-shirt iron-on transfers ( already bought).
Some lights already obtained. More needed & quick-release fittings needed. Lights to be powered from as few power supplies as possible.
Both left & right front covers made & painted.
Shelf for PC yet to be made (posts already printed).

Trackwork:
All track laid and joints made. Power connections all made & wires to power boxes done.
Saltash point installed and initial set-up done. Power switching board for pointwork built and tested.
Flexi-traverser built and initial set-up complete. Some more work on ensuring free-running needed.
Track not yet tested.....to progress at an appropriate time. Clean track, check points, etc, & test run train.

Electrics & Automation:
All system boxes commissioned, & wiring loom made up.
All sensors commissioned & tested okay. All trigger correct LMRI sensors
All TOTIs (train on track indicators) function tested & trigger correct JMRI sensors.
JMRI throttle control script created & simulation tested.
Train blocks identified & reference info documented for scripts. One script (shuffle up/down Tamar branch from Trav1) written and tested under simulation.

Scenery:
Foam scenery shaped to rough shape and glued down.
Road sections defined and detail on a couple almost completed. Next step is to start fitting road sections to foam.
All identified buildings have been designed and printed. Two require splitting over layout joint and reprinting.
Start made on painting buildings, etc. Appx six completed to date, plus Saltash side boatyard.

Royal Albert Bridge:
All viaducts completed and painted.
Saltash side lower piers fitted to board and upper viaduct (removable section) assembled.
Plymouth side assembled & fixed to board.
Bridge arches assembled and 90% painted. Both end piers are still to be final fitted.

Tamar Bridge:
All main bridge components printed. Sections require checking & holes drilling for fittings, etc.
Under-deck girderwork sections printed. All require cleaning & checking for fit, etc.
Both drive sections have most parts printed. Parts need support removed, checking & cleaning up.
Main frame sections and roadways needed reprinting; need to establish which have been done & what printing is left to do.
157 vehicle drive chain sections printed...another 600 needed.
Suspension cable need building. Need to identify what cable/wire to use.
Transport board to be established....probably using back section of layout board with lightweight cover.

Rolling stock:
Class 800/3 shells printed & decals designed. Power units purchased. DCC chips to fit.
Class 150 DMU shells printed & decals designed & applied. Power units purchased. DCC chip fitted to one unit.
Class 170....two shells require printing & decals to design. To use existing 170 power units.
To decide on freight loco & wagons at a later stage. Aim is to have a minimum of four trains set up and running under automation control.....

Mics items, set:
Appx 140 cars & vans printed. More cars, vans & lorries/buses needed.
Already have a number of people...to identify more as required.
Transport rig for layout and track sections, etc to be determined.
Trailer to be serviced/refurbished by JB. Cover needed.

I think the next update will be in the form of a to-do list, as opposed to a mix of what's done and what's left to do.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:57 pm

I've started "fitting" the building into the scenery. As most of the buildings are on a slope, I've made them with flat undersides..and then sculpturing out foam so the sit level.

Here's a few (slightly hazy...didn't realize I had dust on the camera lens!!) shots:
IMG_4072_red.JPG
IMG_4072_red.JPG (62.63 KiB) Viewed 129 times
IMG_4074_red.JPG
IMG_4074_red.JPG (72.62 KiB) Viewed 129 times
IMG_4086_red.JPG
IMG_4086_red.JPG (77.12 KiB) Viewed 129 times

btw Its not an early Easter chick in the background of the top shot. Its just a curly bit of paper!!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:51 am

The bulk of my progress since the last post has been on Tamar Bridge.

I've designed and printed a drilling jig so that holes for the suspension cables can be drilled in the deck sections I've also cleaned the under-deck girderwork sections of all the remnants of support and printing "hair" so they all fit together nicely!

I decided to re-create the drive mechanism chassis at both ends. I've printed most of the chassis for one end...a couple of parts left to print, then I need to flip the designs to print the same for the other end.

I have around 350 chain links printed now....I keep setting one printer off whenever I can to print a batch of 25. And I think I've sorted out the suspension cables...16 swg piano wire with 20 swg hangers fixing to the main cable by either soldering or glueing. Not sure which at the moment. And I've confirmed the way of transporting the bridge....the rear section of layout board turned over forms a shallow tray that almost fits the whole bridge/drive mechanisms.....the outermost legs of the chassis will fit just outside the tray, leaving the rest sitting nicely on the underside of the board top! And with it already being a "tray", there's a level of protection there.

Finally, here's a photo of a spread of parts that form the bridge:
IMG_4091_red.JPG
IMG_4091_red.JPG (115.66 KiB) Viewed 85 times

At the front is the newly printed chassis with the yet to be reprinted chain distributer, then the ten deck sections and eleven under-deck girder sections; they fit together staggered for rigidity. At the far end is a complete old-design drive chassis. Most of it needs reprinting since I changed the design of the basic chassis! And alongside is the upturned rear layout board which will form the transport frame.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts