Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Postby dkightley » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:57 pm

Whilst I've been concentrating on trackwork, my colleagues at Wimpeewey have been busy adding to the number of completed buildings in Saltash:
IMG_3699_red.JPG
IMG_3699_red.JPG (125.91 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 pm

With the pressures of building a new exhibition layout...AND supporting an existing exhibition layout....as well as my volunteering responsibilities at Crich…..I'm having to start to tidy up my work area and pack Saltash away for a few weeks so I can unpack The Bridge to get a few unresolved running issues addressed in time for a double-weekend of shows at the end of May/ beginning of June.

Hopefully I'll still be able to get on with a few bits of building design and printing....but no layout building jobs will be possible. :cry:
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm finally back working on the layout...…. Having re-assembled the layout boards and pulled everything out of storage, I've been able to work out where I got to with things before having to pack away to get The Bridge out.

And I've made some progress:

Trackwork at the Plymouth side now all complete apart from a final cut of a piece of track. This phots shows two single track train sensors...the white gantries ...and there are four track power supplies to sections of the track. One of the DCC system boxes will sit inside the left curve.
IMG_3872_red.JPG
IMG_3872_red.JPG (111 KiB) Viewed 249 times

Behind the scenes trackwork showing the three-track flexi-traverser complete with all its track sensors..two triple-track, one double-track, and two single-track in place. There's also five track power connections in this shot...and leads for the two servos driving the flexi-traverser. Three DCC system boxes sit in a line here:
IMG_3873_red.JPG
IMG_3873_red.JPG (88.76 KiB) Viewed 249 times

All the trackwork for the Saltash station side of the bridge is also complete...including the custom point that sits in the end of the bridge viaduct. This photo shows a single train sensor on the approach to Saltash and four trach power connections. Not surprisingly, there's a DCC system box here as well. This area still needs a couple of sensors for the stopping points in the station....these will utilise low power laser beams and IR sensors. I still need to work out the placement of them! :
IMG_3875_red.JPG
IMG_3875_red.JPG (84.96 KiB) Viewed 249 times

This next photo shows a little more detail of the track sensors, and one end of the flexi-traverser.:
IMG_3876_red.JPG
IMG_3876_red.JPG (80.48 KiB) Viewed 249 times

I've also been working on the CAD designs for a few more buildings. This one is the very first building I've done for the Plymouth side of the bridge:
CAD1.JPG
CAD1.JPG (67.89 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:43 pm

This is why I love Google Earth......
SaltashStation.JPG
SaltashStation.JPG (89.74 KiB) Viewed 228 times

With resources like this resolving detail to this sort of realism, who needs to make site visits!!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:10 pm

I've made quite a bit of progress over the past few days.....but only one photo to show for it!...

I've modelled and printed a few more buildings and a long section of water's edge scenery (incorporating a boat yard area) for the Plymouth side. And, moving back to the Saltash side, I've done some major assembly work on Saltash station. I've extended and reprinted the platforms so to incorporate a couple of laser sensors within the platform area:
IMG_3885_red.JPG
IMG_3885_red.JPG (168.33 KiB) Viewed 197 times

The photo shows a view from the oppositer direction to the Google Earth screenshot in the previous post. The station building is in two parts...the body of the building and the roof section. This is to accommodate one of the laser transmitters and a small mirror to bounce the laser beam across the tracks. On the opposite side of the tracks will be a vertically mounted laser sensor with a small mirror above it to reflect the laser beam down to the sensor. The white box on the left of the platform holds the other laser transmitter...and there will be a similar arrangement for the sensor.

I've built all the electronics to power and drive the sensor circuits....which leaves me with just the track power switching for the point to finish, which will complete all the electrical wiring so I can do some commissioning of the power and sensing systems.

A couple of the tasks I need to get sorted sooner rather than later are assembling the main spans of the Royal Albert bridge, and initial painting of the stone piers. The former job will allow me to complete the trackwork....and the latter will let me fix down parts of the bridge to the base boards.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:52 pm

A few shots showing the details of the laser detectors I'm using....

Firstly the sensor at the west end of Saltash station. There's room for the transmitter just off the layout....but the sensor has to be disguised as shrubbery, so I've mounted the diode vertically and put a small mirror above it ….just like the top half of a periscope:
IMG_3892_red.JPG
IMG_3892_red.JPG (103.73 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Now the sensor at the other end of the platform. Here there is nowhere ideal to locate the transmitter pointing directly across the platforms, so I've had to hide it in the station building and use a mirror to turn the laser through 90 degrees to go across. As with the other sensor, it's in a "periscope" and will be hidden in a tall and broad hedge that runs along the edge of the platform:
IMG_3893_red.JPG
IMG_3893_red.JPG (102.07 KiB) Viewed 158 times
PS The crap finish on the roof is deliberate!!

Here's a shot with the station building roof removed:
IMG_3894_red.JPG
IMG_3894_red.JPG (120.9 KiB) Viewed 158 times

And finally, here's a shot showing examples of all the electrical/electronic additions to the track:
IMG_3891_red.JPG
IMG_3891_red.JPG (196.98 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Front to back..
….a gantry holding a track sensor. A LED shining down and a LDR underneath a hole in the track bed
...breaks in both rails of the tracks...between the marked arror heads
...track power feeds. Two sets here, one in front of the track breaks, and one set after. Wires are soldered directly onto the base of the rails.
...at the junction of the unpainted and painted ply, Breakable joints in the track to allow assembly/disassembly of the layout. Several sleepers have been removed from one track end to allow the joiner to be slid back for storage (rather than taking off and having to keep in a tin or box!)
….and the laser train detectors as described above. One issue you may have spotted is that the laser detector cannot distinguish which track the train is on, or detect a second train. This is something I will live with....and partially get round using combinations of other sensors, or work around to avoid!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:50 am

No photos to show this time.....but progress made in a few areas.

I've moved on further with the wiring for the electronics, but can't complete the runs until I know exactly where the Tamar bridge components will finally sit. I've gathered the parts for the Tamar bridge and have started printing the remaining components so I can get the main assembly put together...which will then allow the wiring to be completed.

I've also started looking at the construction of the backdrop. I've sorted out how I'm going to make the backdrop so it will come to pieces for transport...and how I can hang lighting on top of it. Having purchased the necessary wood, the next step here is to get pieces cut to size and get the quick release joints sorted (made from hinges with the hinge pin removed & replaced with a pin with a handle on.....like theatre scenery hinges!...but smaller).

Progress over the next week or two will slow a little as I have other commitments. I suppose I ought to retire so I can take advantage of all the extra spare time it will give me.

Hang on!! I did that five years ago. Where has all my spare time gone???!!???!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts