Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Dauntsey

Postby martink » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:07 pm

Well, I have finally settled on the subject of my third linear motor T gauge layout - Dauntsey, a minor junction station on the GWR main line to Bristol. The layout will be 6' x 2' or thereabouts, the equivalent of 38' x 13' in OO, and about the largest size I can manage as a single-board portable layout. Even with all that to play with, some compression and rearrangement will still be necessary! I was looking for a site on a GWR main line, preferably ex-broad gauge for the wider track spacing, with a small goods yard off one line and a refuge siding off the other, plus a road overbridge and a nearby canal with a single lock. Having a junction for the branch to Malmesbury is a nice bonus.

The scale will be 1:480, about 6% smaller than normal T, since recent experience shows that the linear motor drive system works best with carriages exactly 24, 36 or 48mm long. Choosing 1:480 means that standard 57' coaches work out to be 36mm across the buffers, and 9' wheelbase goods wagons 12mm (so two wagon bodies on a combined chassis add up to 24mm). 25 wagons per foot!

Objectives for this layout:
- double track main line and simple auto-shuttle for the branch
- the track plan will include two points on the visible half, with simple automatic shunting into one siding in the goods yard and the refuge siding off the other line
- the outer oval will have a loop behind the backscene (two more points), giving a total storage capacity of about 15' worth of trains
- a basic road loop, just a single direction narrow country road, nothing too ambitious here
- working canal scene, including the lock (certainly the gates, lifting if possible, or dummied with a slope if not - TBD).
martink

Re: Dauntsey

Postby martink » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 am

Here is video of a small test track proving out the operation of the Up side of Dauntsey station. This oval of track will be about 6 feet long rather than 2, with a sequence of 4 or 5 trains, one of which will be a local pick-up goods. The Down line will be similar, but with a refuge siding instead of a goods yard, as well as a storage loop round the back to allow more trains.

So, for some points and automatic shunting in 1:480 scale...

https://youtu.be/NcJ0XdGN1IQ
martink

Postby NeilM » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:02 am

Wow! Almost speechless to see what you have achieved here.

Can not wait to see it as a completed layout.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby martink » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:39 am

The track and control boards for the new layout arrived this afternoon. Just over 24m of track (it needs about 19-20m), and enough daisy-chained modular section/switching boards for the next 2-3 layouts.

From top left: point control, storage road control, 3 x stop section control, a mix of straights and curves, a different mix with more straights and joiners for the 6' long layout. And of course, my standard photo size yardstick.

Now I have to test them all. Sigh.

DSCI0043a.JPG
DSCI0043a.JPG (275.66 KiB) Viewed 299 times
martink

Postby tjprescott » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:47 am

Very Impressive! What is the minimum parallel track spacing you are planning to use? And will trains be able to pass each other without magnetic incident?
tjprescott

Postby martink » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:06 am

tjprescott wrote:Very Impressive! What is the minimum parallel track spacing you are planning to use? And will trains be able to pass each other without magnetic incident?

That is the one main area where I really do have to compromise. The minimum workable spacing given the magnets I use is 17mm centre-to-centre, which is about right for triple track or with an intervening platform. One reason I picked this location is that it was originally broad gauge, so that gives everything a bit more room, but I will still need to widen the spacing. I did consider limiting the running so that only one train was on the main line at a time, but felt that that option was even less satisfactory.
martink

Postby davidmatthewson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 pm

Seriously impressive. I guess you have a patent agreement with IDL then? I've bought stuff off them in the past and found it very interesting. Currently have a n/g round & round element on my T layout but not as neat as yours in any way! Awesome!
davidmatthewson

Return to T Gauge Layouts