Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Removing Couplers

Postby kajovog » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:26 am

I got my first 35.5 mm (16M) Chassis. I am planning to make the chassis into kind of Trolley so I want to remove the couplers. When I look at pictures it seems like you "hook" them on to the truck, I guess from the top. I took a quick look at the chassis and It seems like I need to disconnect the trucks (removing the Tensions springs) and then I can "lift off" the couplers from the truck. Is that the right approach?

BR, KG
kajovog

Re: Removing Couplers

Postby dkightley » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:27 am

Its simpler than that!!

To remove a coupler, all you need to do is simply gently push and twist it 90 degrees in either direction...and it will fall out!

You'll then notice that the coupler shaft has a small pin that sticks out facing down. When replacing the coupler, face the pin to either side, push in and twist the coupler so the pin faces downwards. I tend to remove the spring from the couplers and run without them....its helps keep trains on the track on tight & windy curves. The only downside is that it makes coupling on-track a bit more fiddly, as the couplings tend to end up pointing in any direction!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Return to T Gauge General Discussions