Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Re: Smoking QTT/T Gauge steam locomotive

Postby kajovog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 am

..... Not really sure what to say more than its very very impressive. You are for sure pushing the limit. Great craftsmanship.

Do you mind if one of use posts a link on the Facebook Forum to the YouTube video?

/KG
kajovog

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks for the compliments!
What I upload to the internet I generally release for general use. You can do anything you want with it. But wait, the right video will follow!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Hello Alan, I know you are reading this forum, this is the steam locomotive that most people want:

A3_Flying_Scotsman_v.jpg
A3 Flying Scotsman
A3_Flying_Scotsman_v.jpg (330.69 KiB) Viewed 521 times

A3_Flying_Scotsman_h.jpg
A3 Flying Scotsman
A3_Flying_Scotsman_h.jpg (277.9 KiB) Viewed 521 times
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 pm

The Flying Scotsman comes home to Doncaster!

Video:

https://youtu.be/w9kW3e6oI6I
MMBUFBerlin

Postby JoeMalinchak » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:16 am

Great work on your Flying Scotsman!

Please tell us more about your smoke system. Is it your design? I am sure the problems with it can be worked out, or you could make a new design for it.

Joe.
JoeMalinchak

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 pm

A3_RauchgeneratorMit02Draht5Ohm.jpg
Smoke Generator with 0,2mm wire, 5 Ohms
A3_RauchgeneratorMit02Draht5Ohm.jpg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 496 times

The photo shows the first smoke generator with 0.2mm wire, 5
Ohms. This smoked very strong, but the locomotive did not drive.

https://youtu.be/7wKmhO6dFqc

The video shows the second generator with 0.1 mm wire, 15 Ohms. As you can see, he smokes very weakly, but the locomotive drives.
In T Gauge a smoke generator will work only digitally, if you have a decoder that is small enough and delivers 0.5A for the smoke generator.
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Here is the smoke generator with 0.2mm wire and 5 ohms:

https://youtu.be/jC6CWj4KTCc

As smoke substance, I use the viscous UHU Superglue SUPER.
It burns to white powder, which can be easily removed with a brush.

Rauchmittel.jpg
Smoke Substance
Rauchmittel.jpg (104.68 KiB) Viewed 486 times
MMBUFBerlin

Postby JoeMalinchak » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:03 am

Thanks for posting pictures, and the video of your smoke generator. I agree that a decoder should work to power the smoke unit.

Joe.
JoeMalinchak

Postby JoeMalinchak » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 am

Hi Uwe,

Can you share some of your techniques on how you are building your beautiful locomotive bodies.
What type, and thickness of material are you using?
I know you mentioned that you are using a small scissors to cut out parts. How are you getting smooth edges on the body parts?
How are you assembling the parts, glue or solder?
Are you hand painting them?

Thanks, Joe.
JoeMalinchak

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:40 am

Hello Joe,

sorry that I'm answering so late, I have not get any info mail about your post.
The bodies of the 18 201, the S1 and the Flying Scotsman are made with 0.1mm copper sheet metal. The body of the Mallard I milled complete from a piece of ebony wood free hand with a PROXXON. The 18 201 is partially hand painted, partly covered with decals, the MALLARD and the S1 are completely hand painted with a brush (I take Email Color from HUMBROL, made in Great Britain, this is the very best color, more better than the colors from REVELL!! They are thin liquid and so they are going very well, so that it becomes with a brush nearly like air brush!), the FlyingScotsman, however, is completely covered with decals.
I solder as the first choice. I glue only if it can not be soldered, which is usually the case with the small locomotives. I often make electrical connections with liquid silver, for example, the lamps are so contacted, but also the motors.
I use a vernier caliper to mark the metal sheets and then cut them out with the small scissor. So I get exact parts that I do not have to rework. To bend the boiler plates, I take a tube with 4mm diameter to help. The cabs of the Flying Scotsman and of the S1 are made with many small single parts, so that the windows are broken. WARNING, it was a terrible fumble to glue the parts together! (-: But I also have already cut windows with a scalpel, such as my last locomotive the Köf.
Otherwise I do a lot with acrylic glass. For example, the connectors of the frame parts from the chassis or the cylinders. The buffers I make out of pins. I put this in the PROXXON and turn it freehand off with a diamond grinder. The valve gear I make with 0,1 steel plate from old mobil phones. I first drill the holes and then cut the rods freehand with the PROXXON. But I think, nobody does that like me! That's because no pliers help because it does not hold the parts tight enough. I hold the tiny parts in my fingers (I have hands that are smaller than most women! (-: ).
I hope I have expressed that in English reasonably understandable, it is not easy in a foreign language to describe exactly what and how to do something. Otherwise, ask if you want to know exactly.
In my videos on YouTube is always the building of the locomotives in some photos to see. At the Flying Scotsman also here in the forum. There is also a photo of the tools I use.

Kind regards
Uwe
MMBUFBerlin

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock