Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Re: Smoking QTT/T Gauge steam locomotive

Postby MIHS85 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Interesting discussion and hats off to all of those here working on coming up with a working T-Gauge steam loco.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Uwe is probably right in saying that a fully detailed, reliable and commercially viable T gauge steam loco might be very expensive. Most special Z-scale loco models from European small-volume manufacturers go for somewhere in between $450-650, some for up to $1000. And whilst quite small compared to H0 an N, I would assume that the Z-scale market still is substantially larger than the one for T-gauge. If someone asked me how much I’d be willing spend on a T-gauge steam loco, I’d say that $200 would be my limit. My reasons for that, apart from a finite budget, are twofold: all the other current limitations of T-gauge (points etc.) and some lingering personal doubts about the long term viability and availability of T-gauge which presently keep me from investing too heavily into this scale.

2) The experts here will correct me if wrong, but I would imagine that fitting a fully functional valve gear onto a T-gauge loco might be one of the biggest complications and potential source of both cost and trouble. If so, I’d be perfectly happy with a compromise of getting a steam loco chassis with functioning big wheels, a 3D printed body shell and etched static gear valve imitations for in front of the wheels. Fully working gear valves could then be left as an option for the more advanced tinkerer. A bit like the kit solution mentioned by Jesse.

Just my five cents,

Chris
MIHS85

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 pm

I also think that it makes sense first to offer a steam locomotive as a series locomotive like Joe's steam locomotive. So kept simple, also regarding the valve gear. A complete valve gear, as I build it on my locomotives, is a lot of work, I'm experiencing that again while building the Flying Scotsman! MÄRKLIN has also produced many, many years steam locomotives in Z with this simple valve gear like Joe's locomotive. With such a locomotive a price around the 300 euro is at most feasible. That could fed the market. Above all, it would be important that such a steam locomotive drives well, so has a much better transmission reduction than the trains offered by KK Eishindo today. My locomotives have 24: 1, this is a reduction that is more than three times higher than the ultra-high-speed-trains of KK Eishindo.
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:23 pm

I do not want to do that every day! (-:

A3_ValveGear_Montage.jpg
A3 valve gear mounting
A3_ValveGear_Montage.jpg (153.18 KiB) Viewed 557 times
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm

A watch is huge against!

A3vsArmbanduhr.jpg
A3 vs watch
A3vsArmbanduhr.jpg (145.92 KiB) Viewed 543 times
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:10 pm

The Valve Gear is mounted!
Time for the wedding of the locomotive with the tender.

A3_HochzeitMitTender.jpg
A3 wedding with the tender
A3_HochzeitMitTender.jpg (755.45 KiB) Viewed 526 times
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:25 pm

Test Run:

Not good! The tender is driving too slowly.
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks for the positive voting, Matthew!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:16 pm

An improved wire lets hope that in fact there will soon be the first smoking steam locomotive in T Gauge!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm

The project smoking QTT steam
locomotive has failed!
If I take a wire with little resistor (5 Ohm), the generator smokes, but the locomotive does not drive, because the motors get hardly any power. If I take a wire with greater resistor (15 Ohm), the locomotive drives, but the generator smokes only slightly. And the little smoke does not penetrate through the very small holes in the chimney.

A3_Rauchgenerator_gescheitert.jpg
A3 Smoke Generator has failed
A3_Rauchgenerator_gescheitert.jpg (369.51 KiB) Viewed 443 times
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:24 pm

The Flying Scotsman is now finished!
Overall, the locomotive consists of 232 single parts, of which 182 made by myself (210 hours of work).
Steam Wheels, Magnet Rings, Spokes Slices and Rivets by TGauge.com (24 single parts)
Back Run Wheels & Axes and Tender Wheels & Axes by KK Eishindo (14 single parts)
Gears by Mikroantriebe.de (2 worms and 8 gears)
Motors Made in China (2 motors)
All other parts (also the Valve Gear, 42 single parts hand made!) made by myself (182 single parts)

The locomotive is NOT for sale!
I will donate this locomotive together with the MALLARD one day to the National Railway Museum in York.

Video Trailer:

https://youtu.be/v4Xne1OtPog
MMBUFBerlin

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock