Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: My T gauge adventure

Postby NeilM » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:29 am

msimister wrote:Just backtracking a couple of days, are you making your narrow boat available Neil? Once you have the bow and stern done the bit in the middle is pretty much the same whatever the length.

Malcolm,

Yes, that is my intention. My plan was to get the 2 examples I have printed off painted first. Both off these are 'low detail' in that the are no representation of the windows in the model. Not sure yet whether this is the best way in such a small scale,or should I attempt a recessed window, which would need pushed back way more than scale to stand any chance of showing up and be able to be painted round.

I plan different length bows and sterns, as walking along my local canal these do vary on the boats I pass. The main centre sections do of course vary greatly in length, from boats that will be the full length of the lock down to short 'day boats', so can represent that as well. Once done I will create sets for sale to keep the cost down. Not sure as what the mix in the sets will be, or how many boats in each. If anyone has a suggestion what they way like to see then let me know, otherwise I may just create a few different collections and put them all up as that should not be too difficult once I have all the basic components ready to go.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby msimister » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi Neil,

Narrow boat windows are pretty much flush with the sides so I wouldn't bother recessing them. The bow in front of the superstructure on your model looks quite long to me. There are a few such boats - called 'tugs' - but most are shorter. Your model's stern most closely resembles a 'cruiser' stern; others are 'trads' where there is hardly anything rear of the superstructure and 'semi-trad' which from the side looks similar to a trad but which is really more like a cruiser! Lengths vary from a maximum 72' down to, well, as small as you like really. Looking forward to seeing what op come up with.

Cheers,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby NeilM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:45 pm

I have not got much done with my latest prints other than getting the first coat of paint applied. These are looking good so far, but not really worth photographing when partly done, so nothing to see at the moment.

I had been hoping to get at least one shipping container complete and photographed before putting them up for sale on my shop, but I will probably not get any free time at all over the next few days, and I have had somebody requesting these.

Therefore I have now added all the containers - 20ft, 30ft & 40ft - which are now available singly or as a set of six of the same length.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:49 pm

I am back on the case now. When I said I would be busy for a few days I actually meant that I was on holiday for two weeks - although I am sure nobody here would have tried to steal my T gauge items whilst I was away, just saying 'busy' seemed safer. No railway inspiration whilst away, I was in Austria staying right at the side of the Munich-Innsbruck line, but it turned out that the entire line was closed for all of August for maintenance!

Today I have been doing a bit more painting of the items I have had printed, including painting the yellow lines down the corners of my AA box. Just about managed this by eye, although I now have a weapon to use for anything harder to see - just before I went away I visited a local model railway exhibition (no T scale there, not even any N!) and bought an illuminated magnifier, so plan to be using that very soon. I have also finally finished painting one of the containers with full detail, so will get a photo of that up soon once I have sorted my holiday photos that are still on the camera.

Prior to today I had been on the computer and use the separate container parts to create a container wagon with 3 x 20ft containers. The containers are complete but I still need to finish the main body to be able to accept the T gauge chassis as for my boxcar model. Should have this finished very soon, but I will ensure that I get a successful test print before adding it to my shop.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 am

Some more photos of the printed items that I have been painting. For these I have been using the illuminated magnifier that I bought recently. This has been such a great help that I can not think why I did not get one before. If anyone reading this is painting T gauge models without one, then stop now and get one immediately! I thought my eyesight was OK, but after the help of one of these I can see (literally!) what I was missing.

As for my photos - these are just some of what I took. I still need to get the hang of photographing these tiny models as many of the ones I tried really did not come out well. Having said that, getting so close means that when it all works out I just end up with a very cruel enlargement which shows any printing or painting flaws that would not be seen with the naked eye.
I will try again with some of the other images and put them up in a later post.

First up is my container. This has been done for some time, but is the first photo showing the door end having been painted. I was not sure if I was adding too much detail here - fearing it would not print, or be lost under the first coat of paint - but it does seem to have survived.
For T gauge forum - Container 20ft.jpg
For T gauge forum - Container 20ft.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 9544 times

Next is my AA box, again the first after being fully painted. Quite a trick to add the yellow corners, but I am happy with the way it has come out.
For T gauge forum - AA Box.jpg
For T gauge forum - AA Box.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 9544 times

Finally for now is a road vehicle. Here is another example of the classic dilemma of trying to work out how much detail to add. The Austin Cambridge has round topped front wings and a sloping bonnet. If details like these are missed off the model, by just having a square cut bonnet, then the renderings for the model look terrible and crude. However if I got to the trouble of adding them, will they be seen? To test this I did try both, and in this case (excusing the poor quality photograph) the details do show, so in this case think it was worth it.
For T gauge forum - Austin Cambridge.jpg
For T gauge forum - Austin Cambridge.jpg (31.34 KiB) Viewed 9544 times

I will keep adding images as I get ones of good enough quality to see what I am photographing.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Another update on my progress, just a few odds and end plus a quiz.....with no prize, other than the glory of being correct!

First up, an image I did not add last time. This is my Dodge Charger with light detail that I have now painted. Detail on this is limited to recessing the back window and the front grill, with only the grill shown here. Having seen and painted the model I think I will also recess the wheels before I print it again, not sure how much this will show up, but I think that it will make it slightly easier to paint.
For T gauge forum - Dodge Charger.jpg
For T gauge forum - Dodge Charger.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 9520 times

Second up is the container wagon I am working on, shown here as a Shapeways rendering. This is nearly complete and I plan to add a test print or two to my next order, which will hopefully be very soon.
For T gauge forum - Container Wagon Shapeways.jpg
For T gauge forum - Container Wagon Shapeways.jpg (40.89 KiB) Viewed 9520 times

And for the quiz bit! At least this is what I called the image so that the name did not show up and give away what it actually is. Once you have created a model in sketchup or a similar package it can be quite easy to copy and alter it (depending on exactly how well you build it in the first place that is - sometimes it just falls apart!). Here is one such modification to an existing model that I felt I needed to try, to create a talking point when parked in my station car park or on the high street (when I get my layout build that is). Now that I have painted it, who will be the first to identify what inspired this model.
For T gauge forum - quiz.jpg
For T gauge forum - quiz.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 9520 times
Neil

NeilM

Postby mattd10 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Neil,

These all look great! The container wagons are very similar to what I designed. I found that the gap between the containers has to be pretty large to show up. Mine just looks like one massive container. I'll have a quick look at what my dimensions were for you and show you a picture to illustrate what I mean.

Matt
mattd10

Postby NeilM » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Matt,

Yes, would be interested to know what dimensions you settled on. I had wondered whether mine were big enough or not, but I was hoping to fill the gap with black paint first, which should hopefully make it stand out against lighter containers. Also painting the containers different colours, rather than trying for a train of matching containers, should also help.
Neil

NeilM

Postby mattd10 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:14 pm

So on second glances, I'm realising the error of my ways. In the rush to get it ready to get the free delivery promotion, I left the gap between the containers as 0.1mm :|

So understandably, there is no visible gap at all. In contrast each ridge on the container is 0.3mm wide and 0.1mm deep and you can pretty much make them all out. I. worried about paint clogging them up though.

Hope that helps!
mattd10

Postby NeilM » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:48 pm

I have just received an email from Shapeways saying that there is free postage on all orders this weekend.

If you are wanting any items from my shop, or from any of the other T gauge designers on Shapeways, then this could be the time to order as the postage can be a considerable percentage on a small order.

I am now hurrying to complete my own order. This will include test prints of my container wagon, a test chassis for the wheelsets from Alan, and if I have time to complete the models then an Austin 7 and a couple of buildings. Hopefully I will get them all completed in time.
Neil

NeilM

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts