Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Postby dkightley » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 am

With the Starlight event and the season at Crich at an end, I've been able to finally get back into work on Saltash.....

I've now almost finished assembling & fitting the Royal Albert Bridge onto the layout....just need to tweak one end to make it fit perfectly up to the lead-in viaducts and finish its paint job - naval grey ( of all colours!!).
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby jesse6669 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Looks great! I have not been checking here often but as always very impressive modeling Doug!
jesse6669

Postby dkightley » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Doing my usual jumping around from one thing to another....I'm having a look back at the automation using JMRI.

I'd previously created a layout panel and a script to initialise all the sensors, etc....but on loading on my recently rebuilt PC, everything failed to work!! A reinstall of both JRMI and the correct version of Java later, I was able to get things nearer....but had to convert the JMRI file location setting from one drive to another.

Once running again, I reduced the size of the layout panel:
SaltashPanel1.JPG
SaltashPanel1.JPG (55.62 KiB) Viewed 305 times

I've also updated the sensor setting script so it works...and displays correctly;
SaltashPanell2.JPG
SaltashPanell2.JPG (89.02 KiB) Viewed 305 times

I'm now starting to look at the scripting. After issues on the Forth Bridge, I'm concentrating on getting multiple throttles up and running first...using memory variable within JMRI....

Should be fun......
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:41 am

Its been a long five or six days since my last progress report...for a variety of reasons, both good and bad! But lets not go there.....

I've finally got a throttle control script up and running that takes its cues from a set of Memory Variables that I've set up within the JRMI running environment for the route.....and manages up to four throttles at the same time. So.….start this script and let it do its thing...and other scripts simply latch onto one of the sets of memory Variables and change the values, and the throttle control script does the rest!

Having got that hurdle over with, the next phase was to define a set of points round the layout from which a number of paths can be defined. I worked out 17 points on the layout....and around 38 different paths that go from one point to another. This will then allow a scenario to be set up to run, for example, starting at point 3, run path 6 to point 8, path 23 to point 15, and then path 30 to point 3....one loop round the layout in one direction. The scenario can the start, and run through the sequence of paths as many or few times as I want it...and the park the train at another point!

Many of the paths simply run from one point down a single track to the next point...only starting if the destination point is vacant. The rest of the paths negotiate the point at Saltash or one end or the other of the Traverser....and need to take control of the point and change it as required...and keep it reserved until the train has past it. This has created some interesting sets of start condition, stop conditions, starting actions, stopping actions...and even some inflight actions - things to check/change as intermediate points are reached or passed.

All this gobbly-gook means that I will be easily be able to create a script to run a train along a pre-defined path...and when it runs, it interleaves with all or any other scripts controlling other trains. I hope to be able to have four running at once...running in different directions, changing direction.....but all working around each other. If it all works, I'll need to watch out for deadly embraces...….where train A cannot run because of train B.....train B cannot run because of train C....and train C can't move because train A is in the way!!!

Lots of paper....lots of scribbling.....and there's going to be lots of script writing. That's my type of fun!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:32 am

Progress is good.....and hopefully I can now explain things a little better.....

First a screenshot:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (110.08 KiB) Viewed 201 times

There are three windows...

1) Track layout....with block occupancy shown by both the lines being red (as opposed to blue) and the big oval buttons in red. The yellow lights will show as either grey or red....these are sensors - red if triggered, grey if not. The layout also shows four "Throttles"...throttle one is running and shows the direction & speed.
2) Throttle Manager..(bottom left) this window is generated by a script that polls through four sets of memory variables that can be written to by this and any other scripts that are running. When a change in one of the variables is detected, the appropriate action is taken. The text box shows a log of what has recently happened....only three actions in this case.
3) Script to run a scenario..(top left)..this script simply shuffles a train on Road 1 of the traversor back and forth between the sensors at each end. The text box shows information for the user. In this case, instructions on starting and the first step in running from the left side to the right side.

For every scenario I want to put together, I now need to create a new script based on item 3) and within the script, define the sequence of macro moves...a to B, B to C, etc. There are also the other 36 of the 38 point to point sections to write, but these follow a pre-written format, so should not be difficult to put together.

What I've shown above is working in "simulation mode"...ie with my test track...a simple small loop...connected to the controller, and with me manually changing the items on the track layout using a mouse by clicking the sensors & buttons. I need to get the track finished on the layout...and get the box to box wiring loom finished...before I can test anything in anger. But...and its an important but.....this appears to be more stable than what I created for The Bridge!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Got a bit bored working through scripts....so I thought I'd do a photoshoot!

Here's a reskinned HST running through the Royal Albert bridge:
IMG_4029_red.JPG
IMG_4029_red.JPG (128.86 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Note that the painters have not yet managed to get the topcoat on all the girderwork….
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts