Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Postby jesse6669 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:40 pm

You might want to check that Silver Conductive Paint that Uwe is using for locomotives and turnouts (points) on the frogs to improve conductivity on points. I just ordered some (what I could find here in the USA anyway) and will be experimenting with it for locomotive wiring, lighting, track, etc. I can see it being used on rail joints to ensure good continuity as well.
jesse6669

Postby dkightley » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:30 pm

I've got some of the silver paint somewhere in one of my boxes of bits.....and I have to admit I'm not that much of a fan of it. Well, not for original build, that is!

I may try it one day when I'm in a repair situation and there's no alternative way of doing a conductive repair, etc.

The points on Saltash don't have any non-conductive areas.....so there's nowhere to try the conductive paint. I think I'm "on the fence" on this one!!

In the meantime......I've been laying a couple more sections of track that have either a power feed, an optical sensor....or both! It looks as if all the preparations and plans I made last year are slowly coming together. But there a long way to go yet!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm

In my normal "jump around from one thing to another" way of working, I've been doing some CAD work on the Royal Albert Bridge. Here's the latest view of one of the spans:
RAB1.JPG
RAB1.JPG (65.61 KiB) Viewed 1869 times

I still have to add the internal crossmembers that span from one side of the bridge frame to the other.

I've already got the end and centre piers printed....and a first cut of one half of one side of the girderwork is currently growing on my printer. around four hours worth of printing....which will be followed by a long session carefully prising support material off!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 am

And now with the internal crossmembers:
RAB2.JPG
RAB2.JPG (78.52 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby barneyadi » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am

Looking great Doug.
barneyadi

Postby dkightley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm

What have I committed myself to do????

I've just finished printing what has been the most complex and fiddly pieces of 3D printing I've ever done. I thought some of the girders on the Forth Bridge were complex....but the side of the Royal Albert Bridge takes the biscuit!
IMG_3658_red.JPG
IMG_3658_red.JPG (98.65 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

This is one piece! And the picture doesn't clearly show the complexity of it! It took almost 4 hours to print...and around an hour so far prising it off the printer bed and removing the support material....which I had to tease off with a scalpel and set of micro-pliers!

And I have 7 more of these to go! And a set of 22 crossmembers pieces....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm

And then there were two:
IMG_3661_red.JPG
IMG_3661_red.JPG (64.41 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

These two don't actually fit together like this...they're left and right sides of the same quarter of the bridge. But separating the second part from its support material was a darn sight easier than doing the first....which gives me a bit of confidence of being able to do all eight sections!

The only snag is that I'm having to fit printing in between printing orders from the TTG shop at the moment...but I'm not going to complain! ;)
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby gbtrains » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Good work Doug

keep up good great work , it is looking brill. :D

Regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby dkightley » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:22 am

And finally there were eight!
IMG_3664_red.JPG
IMG_3664_red.JPG (115.36 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

I do, however, still have to prise two off their support structure. And you'll notice a couple of other prints....half a tube now printed in fine detail, and one of the road deck sections....well, two, superglued together!

And an extra shot.....here's a couple of the smallest size internal crossmembers. Hopefully, I won't lose them!!
IMG_3666_red.JPG
IMG_3666_red.JPG (51.13 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

PS That is an SD card they're sitting on. I could only fit one on a micro SD card!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Whilst printers print, I have to keep busy! Track laying....Portsmouth side benind the layout:
IMG_3669_red.JPG
IMG_3669_red.JPG (100.69 KiB) Viewed 1718 times

….and Saltash side behind the layout:
IMG_3670_red.JPG
IMG_3670_red.JPG (126.94 KiB) Viewed 1718 times

Sorry for all the junk laying around all over the layout. Its my filing system! And the hammer is there purely for its weight....I've not had to hit anything with it - yet!

Track laying now 80% complete....and I've found my track alignment pieces absolutely essential for getting twin track aligned and looking neat.
IMG_3668_red.JPG
IMG_3668_red.JPG (111.64 KiB) Viewed 1718 times

One of the best tools I ever designed for T....even lines up platform edges spot-on! Which will be just the job for when I get to Saltash station...its twin track on a curve, and will be a doddle to line up and glue down.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts