Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

A new toy!!!

Postby dkightley » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 pm

I've splashed the cash on a new 3D printer...and my first print is:
IMG_3575_red.gif
IMG_3575_red.gif (173.32 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

Half a dozen jelly babies....no, jelly buses, err....buses!

I've bought an Anycubic Photon printer, which is a LCD uv curing resin printer. A bit messy and not that suited to the design, test print, twiddle design, test print, etc way of working that I'm used to.....but I suppose I'll adapt!

I still need to sort out a permanent place for the printer and all the post-printing clean-up...and need to get a uv curing lamp to finish off the hardening process...as the UK doesn't have the right amount of uv light in Winter for finishing off curing!!

Not bad for a first print...….
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: A new toy!!!

Postby dkightley » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:57 am

Frustratingly......I've not really had much time to do any development of parts that would take advantage of this printer. I'm too preoccupied with my new responsibilities for the Tramway Museum at the moment.

I have, however, obtained all of the post-processing tools and materials I need to clean up after printing...….rubber gloves, plenty of disposable towel, IPA, etc. The resin is actually horrible stuff....toxic, very sticky, and smells awful.

Lets hope I can produce some good stuff before I kill myself! ;) ;) !
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby ivanf » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi 'Doug,

long time and all that... :)

Have you had a chance to play with this any more yet?

Was thinking of getting one so wondered if you had any more thoughts on it.

Ta,

Ivan.
ivanf

Postby dkightley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi Ivan

I've not yet really had chance to get serious with this printer yet. I'm up to my neck in things to do with my new role of Membership Secretary for the TMS, which I sort of stumbled into without volunteering...if you get my drift!

I'm likely to get some time later in the month or during February when things calm down a bit. TMS membership renewals are ALL due on 1st Jan, so I'm inundated with renewal forms!!!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby ivanf » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks Doug.

Hope the TMS stuff calms down soon.

Might have to stop prevaricating and order one...
ivanf

Postby dkightley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 pm

If you do order one, you'll need to get plenty of IPA and paper towels....and some form of uv curing lamp.

You get a small supply of latex gloves with the printer, but I'm not sure how long they'll last.

Bottom line is that you'll need somewhere to store and use the printer that's not within your living space. The resin is somewhat toxic and smells awful....and I mean AWFUL! Once you start splashing IPA about, everywhere will stink of that....so a workshop environment that has some ventilation is needed.

I'm struggling with sorting out somewhere to base this my printer. My fff printers are in my lounge-cum-office and their only pollution is noise...which is acceptable. My only other work area I have is a second bedroom, which means if I have the new printer in there, it will make upstairs smelly! Unless I work out some form of extraction system to run whilst its running...and also when I'm post-processing parts.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge