Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Newbie questions

Postby Worsel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Finally decided to get a T gauge system for X-mas.

While I am very experienced with (analog) Z scale I am absolutely new to T gauge and have a few (probably dumb) newbie questions:

In terms of electrical components almost anything is available for Z scale, but not so much for T gauge. What I have seen in T gauge, there are manual/electrical turnouts, isolating tracks and optical sensors.

I have seen the electrical turnouts, but no indication on how to connect and control them?

In general, what do people use for control boxes?

In order to run multiple trains in analog fashion would one isolate certain sections with isolating tracks and utilize multiple power boxes and multiple power tracks or is there a better way?

Could one connect one power box to multiple power tracks and put on/off switches in between?

Can the optical sensors be used for something else than reversing voltage?

Can I treat PW modulated voltage just like regular DC voltage?

So many questions, thanks in advance for your replies.
Worsel

Re: Newbie questions

Postby dkightley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi...and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find very much in the way of "off the shelf" in T gauge...probably similar to where Z was several years ago.

I've moved away from the standard PWM controllers....mainly because there's no way of getting anywhere near scale speed and smooth performance out of the low-voltage set up that the standard power method has. In fact, I've been running my exhibition layout (The Bridge) on DCC for almost a year now. Track voltage is well over 12v and I have the chips tuned to give a very smooth acceleration, deceleration and slow running performance. I've managed to tyre-lever DCC decoders into the longer power units....but have been having one or two issues getting a chip into the HST power car sixed unit. having said that....I've not had much time over the past five months to very much at all with my T layout. I have The Bridge...and a second exhibition layout part-built!!

To try and answer some of your questions....I did use isolated sections to run multiple trains round a single loop..and it worked quite well, but needed 100% concentration..something you never have at shows!

You can use the isolation track sections...but cutting a gap in one rail with a jewellers saw works very well as an alternative.

I've never used the optical sensors that come with the control boxes. They're not scale and are limited in use. I have custom under-track optical and electronic train-on-track sensors in my DCC setup.

Treat PWM as you would straight anologue. One rail +ve, one rail -ve.

Don't really know about the electric points. I think they work by connecting power one way round to run the point one way....and reverse polarity to run the other way!

Hope this helps.....and do post what you're up to on the forum...
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Worsel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:02 am

dkightley wrote:Hi...and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find very much in the way of "off the shelf" in T gauge...probably similar to where Z was several years ago.

I've moved away from the standard PWM controllers....mainly because there's no way of getting anywhere near scale speed and smooth performance out of the low-voltage set up that the standard power method has. In fact, I've been running my exhibition layout (The Bridge) on DCC for almost a year now. Track voltage is well over 12v and I have the chips tuned to give a very smooth acceleration, deceleration and slow running performance. I've managed to tyre-lever DCC decoders into the longer power units....but have been having one or two issues getting a chip into the HST power car sixed unit. having said that....I've not had much time over the past five months to very much at all with my T layout. I have The Bridge...and a second exhibition layout part-built!!

To try and answer some of your questions....I did use isolated sections to run multiple trains round a single loop..and it worked quite well, but needed 100% concentration..something you never have at shows!

You can use the isolation track sections...but cutting a gap in one rail with a jewellers saw works very well as an alternative.

I've never used the optical sensors that come with the control boxes. They're not scale and are limited in use. I have custom under-track optical and electronic train-on-track sensors in my DCC setup.

Treat PWM as you would straight anologue. One rail +ve, one rail -ve.

Don't really know about the electric points. I think they work by connecting power one way round to run the point one way....and reverse polarity to run the other way!

Hope this helps.....and do post what you're up to on the forum...

Hey Doug,

thank you for your reply. I will set up a small system during the holidays and take it from there.

Perhaps someone else on this forum has experience with electrical turnouts?

I will see, perhaps it would be a mistake to try and emulate everything with T gauge that I am doing with analog Z scale. I have absolutely no experience with DCC, starting with T gauge would be quiet a challenge for me. While I have a full understanding of the technology, my mechanical skills are fairly limited. Do people fit their T gauge locos with DCC encoders all by themself or are there skilled resources available to do the job?
Worsel

Return to T Gauge General Discussions