Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

The three Ts. Lift the lid on the secrets of how you do things so others can have a go.....

Drilling holes

Postby Faroeislands » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:54 am

I want to add some fibre optic lighting to a display. The base board is around 1cm thick and I need to drill holes that are 1mm wide. Whats the best thing to use? Some people recommend a dremel.
Faroeislands

Re: Drilling holes

Postby dkightley » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:48 am

Drilling small holes needs to be done carefully....particularly if you're drilling into thick material.

If I were wanting to drill 1mm holes into wood, I would use a battery handheld drill that has a speed control on the trigger. "Full size" power tools have a very comfortable grip...and a battery version with a speed control will allow you to drill the small holes nice and slowly, and under full control. A 12v Dremel style drill can be a little unwieldy to hold absolutely steady...which is what is needed to stop a small drill bit from binding and spanning!

Having said that....its really down to what you're used to. I'm used to using a normal battery drill....and I find one easier to control that a small 12v drill...which usually run at high speed with a low power input, where if there's the sniff of an out-of-alignment movement, the drill will slow or even stall, leading to a surprise reaction...and an increased danger of snapping the drill of in the wood!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Drilling holes

Postby jesse6669 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Unless there are many holes...I would recommend a hand-held "pin vice". With a hole that small (1mm) the amount of force needed isn't very much. The battery operated slow speed drill (variable speed) would be another option. Get yourself 2 or more bits, good chance of breakage!
jesse6669

Return to T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials