Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Buildings for Blea Moor

Postby martink » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 pm

An initial experiment - a first attempt at the main Ribblehead station building. A 3d printed shell with roof detail and indentations for the doors and windows, painted, then with door and window detail printed on paper and glued in.

The usual cruel, cruel closeups, but the technique seems to work well enough that I expect to do all the buildings this way.

rh-stcad1.jpg
rh-stcad1.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 134 times

DSCI0052.JPG
DSCI0052.JPG (131.27 KiB) Viewed 134 times

DSCI0051.JPG
DSCI0051.JPG (177.14 KiB) Viewed 134 times
martink

Re: Buildings for Blea Moor

Postby msimister » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Looks pretty good Martin and looking forward to seeing the whole layout.

One question, not just for you: I appreciate the things that can be done with 3D printing (all my rolling stock is 3D printed and the large number of buildings on Doug's Bridge layout make it the only really practical way in a relatively short space of time) but do you get the satisfaction from it that comes with handcrafting a model? I've only made two buildings for T gauge so far, both made in more traditional modelling ways adapted for the even smaller scale, and both have given me a lot of satisfaction, at least partly because of the challenge of making them in T scale. So, my question really comes down to, is the satisfaction in having the model or in building it? What think you and others?

Cheers,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby martink » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 am

msimister wrote:... is the satisfaction in having the model or in building it? What think you and others?

Hmm, that isn't really an either/or question. Both reasons (and more!) apply:
- the satisfaction of taking an idea and turning it into a tangible, physical, working object (the main one, it applies at all stages, from the component level to and whole layout)
- watching others seeing the layout the first time (expressions of surprise on peoples' faces seeing T for the first time)
- 3d permits us to build things that would not be practicable using conventional techniques (some models would have been, but not with the same quantity, detail, and/or complexity)
- the very limited range of RTR in T (it would not be a viable modelling scale without 3d)
- etc.
martink

Postby dkightley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:17 am

Sorry we've highjacked the subject of the thread.....

... is the satisfaction in having the model or in building it? What think you and others?

For me, the satisfaction is on several levels...

Firstly, the achievement of finishing something you set out to achieve.

Then there's the satisfaction of producing each individual part...the CAD work, the printing, the painting...and then the setting into place on the layout. 3D printing is not a "shortcut" to get a finished component in the shortest possible time....it has its challenges. And its not only 3D printing....I'm referring to traditional crafts as well.

And for me, the greatest satisfaction is seeing the pleasure all my hard work brings to others. I've stood behind The Bridge for more than twenty five exhibition days....and I've seen the hundreds of looks of amazement, awe, and pleasure that the layout has created. That's satisfaction that words can't describe!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge