•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum Exhibitions and Shows for T Gauge

Post details and reports from exhibitions and shows where T gauge layout will or have appeared.

Model Rail Scotland 2017

Postby dkightley » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:50 pm

News hot off the press...i.e. about 15 minutes ago......The Bridge has just been invited to the Model Rail Scotland show at the SECC in Glasgow. 24th, 25th & 26th February 2017.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Model Rail Scotland 2017

Postby dkightley » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Here's a reminder about Scotland's biggest show....Model Rail Scotland....at the SEC in Glasgow Friday 24th to Sunday 26th February. And The Bridge will be making its first appearance north of the border.

I know of a couple of forum members who are planning to be there.....anyone else thinking of going????
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Its been a busy time over the past week or so with so much happening.....and I am now able to provide some very good news about this show......

Scottish Television (aka STV) have been contacted by the Publicity Manager for Model Rail Scotland to feature a layout in a piece on their local news programme...and the layout will be The Bridge.

I've no details of when the report will be, or how long it will be.....but I'm being lined up for filming of the layout on the Thursday afternoon before the show!! :D :D
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:59 am

Well. Things are on track here in Glasgow this evening. Pun definitely intended!!!

I've arrived safely and have introduced myself to the main members of the show organising team.....nice bunch, particularly after they've had a few in the hotel bar! :D

Due into the hall in the morning to set the layout up ready for filming. Hopefully I'll be able to get a link so all can see the finished piece!

I'm really looking forward to this show....as I'll have some help running the layout. It'll give me time to try and drum up some decent media coverage....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby JoeMalinchak » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:38 am

Doug,

Hope you have a great weekend at the event. Love to see the finished film of your layout!
JoeMalinchak

Postby dkightley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:37 am

Set-up day was ....well, lets just say "interesting".....

We were let in early for set-up...just before 10:00am ( instead of post 2:00pm). The layout was up and running just in time for the TV filming...Jim has really earned his stripes!! It transpired there were two STV crews...one for national news, and one for Local (Glasgow) news. They both filmed..and I was told I was needed for an interview with one of the crews, and then was wanted to go to the STV studios for an in-studio interview! :shock:

Well..what an experience the studio visit was. Proper set and newsdesk...and the segment for the last half of the news report for the evening was recorded...firstly a couple of minutes of film recorded at the show, then a few question about the show and my layout...asked to myself an the show's publicity manager.

I missed the 5:00pm broadcast...so had no idea what actuall was broadcast, but back at the hotel, we set the tv in the bar to watch......and the segment recorded had been bumped out by extra reports on the temporary bad weather.....I nearly cried!!

Never mind....the day has been a nice experience, and the layout is ready to roll tomorrow....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Day one completed..and lots of congratulations, etc from the visitors, who ended up three deep for some parts of the day. The stock behaved quite well today with only occasional bouts of dodgy running.

I found out that one of the interviews I had yesterday went out on STV local news in Edinburgh...which seemed more appropriate than Glasgow. And I had a third TV interview with STV this morning...this time with the STV news team. And I did a recorded interview with BBC Radio Scotland. Gosh..I'm finding this celebrity status somewhat wearing!! ;)

I finally had one result I was looking for at this show....someone came up and pointed to a House, saying "I live there!" And two or three friends or relations of residents also pointed to various houses. All comments were very favourable!!

Looking forward to day two tomorrow.....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:46 pm

Yay!!

Just watched me being interviewed on STV's local Glasgow news. A superb sequence of video showing a DMU passing a pond coin, followed by a couple of views of the bridge itself. The item started with mentioning the work involved in building the New Queensferry crossing (the new Forth Road bridge) and the suggests the listener spares a thought for someone building a true scale replica of the Forth Rail bridge...and then into the interview.

With a bit of luck, I may be able to get hold of either a link to these reports, or a copy of the video....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:17 pm

Day two of the show over.......and the accolades continue! Lots and lots of visitors to the layout...sometime three or four deep for half an hour or so at a stretch. All amazed at the size of T....and impressed with the layout.

And the just before 5:00pm I received an absolute shock!!! I was called over to the exhibition information stand to find out that The Bridge had won the "Best Non-association Layout" award...awarded to the best layout on display from outside the Association of Scottish Model railway Societies. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

But this was not the shock!!!! ;) ;)

The Bridge was also awarded with the "Best in Show" award. :D :D :D :D :D The best layout at the biggest model railway show in Scotland!! :shock: :shock:

T Gauge has arrived!!!!!! ;) ;)

After receiving the award, I was able to take a little look round at other layouts. One which stood out head and shoulders was Liverpool Lime St Station. I'll try to find out a link so others can see it!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby davidmatthewson » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Well deserved Doug..
davidmatthewson

Next

Return to Exhibitions and Shows for T Gauge