•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum Exhibitions and Shows for T Gauge

Post details and reports from exhibitions and shows where T gauge layout will or have appeared.

Re: The GCR Model Event 2015

Postby NoelDollimore » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi Doug.
Well done, flying the flag for the 'big T', glad it all went well with not too many headaches, track gets terribly muddy during exhibition running in any scale but it's so critical with 'T'.
If I may highlight one area that usually gets overlooked, having worked for ten years in a model railway shop as service engineer, 90% of our customers who complained of bad layout performance 'even after having cleaned track and loco wheels' hadn't thought to clean their rolling stock wheels, after prompting on this they were surprised to find performance improved no end (as they weren't laying down fresh mud for the loco wheels to pick up again).
If asked, I always recommend, 1) Clean ALL rolling stock wheels, 2) Clean All loco wheels, 3) Finally clean track, that way you end up with a more reliable running session.
I normally use a glass fibre brush to do all the cleaning as it polishes the track and wheel surfaces and doesn't allow the dirt to key into any abrasions made by even the finest of grit papers.
I hope I'm not 'teaching granny to suck eggs' but over the years I've met many modellers, some highly experienced, some novice, and quite a few admitted they'd not thought about cleaning non pickup wheels.
As an aside, I don't know how long you've been at Critch, but your name sounds somewhat familiar.
I don't know if you were involved at the time or if you would remember, but a number of years years ago I brought my 00 scale working bus layout 'On the buses' up to one of your festival weekends and we were situated in the hall at the head of an LT tram, the memory jogger may be that the buses all had working brake lights when they stopped.
Best regards, Noel (Dollimore).
Knowledge is of no value unless it is shared, if you can remember it !!
NoelDollimore

Postby dkightley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi Noel

Once seen....never forgotten!! :? Yes, It's probably me you remember seeing at Crich. I've been helping there for ten years this year...and I would have been a helper at the event you were at.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby ivanf » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:08 pm

well done Doug and thanks for the update.

good luck with the wheel cleaning. :)
ivanf

Postby GibbModels » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am

I'm The kid who you gave the forum card! I've ordered my class 66 body now! thank you. :D :D
I run TStandsForTrains over on YouTube @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2SiEh ... A/featured
GibbModels

Previous

Return to Exhibitions and Shows for T Gauge