Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Severn Valley Railway - Ironbridge Station

Postby Nutter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 pm

The plan is to model the station with the Ironbridge and gorge at the front of the layout. 200 foot contours each side of the gorge would make it a lot of slopes that mean a decent view would not work out. Can cope with one slope.
Trackwork could prove interesting as there are 8 points within the station and goods yard.
1997-7219_RJS_SV_51.jpg
1997-7219_RJS_SV_51.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 438 times

The footbridge will also be an interesting model to attempt.
Looking at currently available buildings some artistic licence may have to be used.
Research is ongoing and final sizes etc. not yet known.
The bridge is build, signal box sourced and a couple of buildings found in other scales to build in card.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

All spray painting done outside, cleaning in ultrasonic done on dry days when i can have a window open.
Nutter

Re: Severn Valley Railway - Ironbridge Station

Postby Nutter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 pm

First task is to sort out the remainder of the bridge (land based bits) and have started cutting up my offcuts of plasticard to do a mock up.

All spray painting done outside, cleaning in ultrasonic done on dry days when i can have a window open.
Nutter

Postby Nutter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Finally found a picture from the gorge side of the station :D
34826139004_05265a45ea_b.jpg
34826139004_05265a45ea_b.jpg (169.07 KiB) Viewed 422 times

Each reference picture I have seems to have some bits removed or added so need to work out what is what - the platform appears to be approx 3 coaches long.

Nutter

Postby msimister » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Looks interesting Mike. How big are you planning the layout to be? End-to-end or circular?
Cheers,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby Nutter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 pm

msimister wrote:Looks interesting Mike. How big are you planning the layout to be? End-to-end or circular?
Cheers,
Malcolm

Undecided as yet, probably end to end. will need to be about 15 inches deep minimum to include the Iron Bridge landside components to scale.

Nutter

Postby Nutter » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Things are progressing a snail pace, need to try some foamboard landscaping to get the section from gorge to the station retaining wall looking right.
Scenic measurements will probably be 1/500 scale as I have found my old scale rule from my drawing office days (pre Auto Cad) to make things easier.
Buildings will be to 1/450 and I think there may be a Dr Who timewarp for vehicles etc. :roll:

Nutter

Postby msimister » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 pm

While everyone quotes T gauge as being 1/450th scale for standard gauge modelling, by my calcs its actually 1/478 (4' 8.5" = 1435mm/3 = 478) so your 500th scale rule is marginally closer than the 450th scale buildings. Not that I imagine anyone will notice the difference.
Cheers,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby Nutter » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm

msinicalechmister wrote:While everyone quotes T gauge as being 1/450th scale for standard gauge modelling, by my calcs its actually 1/478 (4' 8.5" = 1435mm/3 = 478) so your 500th scale rule is marginally closer than the 450th scale buildings. Not that I imagine anyone will notice the difference.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Thanks for the technical detail, :ugeek: I shall have to find a laser measure to keep it right for you :lol:

Nutter

Postby Nutter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Depending on how long it takes me to shift the severe chest infection (those who recognise "Prednisolone"," Ammoxicylin 500", will know what I mean)the next stage which involved glue, paint etc means I have been temporarily banned from modelling. :cry: :(

Really annoying because i need to finish cutting out and gluing bits to the 15m retaining wall for the station area.

Nutter

Postby Nutter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Work will be resuming in the next couple of days.
First job will be cleaning up all my 3d bits that have come from Doug and also Shapeways.
To do the full trackplan as per circa 1950 still involves points but I don't want to use sectional track and I don't know how long we will have to wait for flexi track ones.
Could try making some from std nickel silver code 40 rail but don't know how successful that would be.

Nutter

Next

Return to T Gauge Layouts