•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Saltash Bridges

Postby dkightley » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:36 pm

I've been contemplating where I go to follow up The Bridge......a bit of a problem, really! And I've come up with a concept of a design for a layout that includes the three identifiable bridges that surround the landscape at Saltash, just outside Plymouth.

Here's a 3D concept view of what I'm currently thinking of:
Saltash_Concept1.PNG
Saltash_Concept1.PNG (111.02 KiB) Viewed 818 times

Left to right.....the Coombe viaduct, the Royal Albert bridge (both built by IKB), and the Tamar bridge. Initial idea is to have some form of return loop behind/under the layout surface, and for the road bridge to have moving traffic!

I'd welcome thoughts, etc.......
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Postby Ruskyviewer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:41 am

Interesting location there Doug. Quite a busy city landscape with lots of buildings. Looks amazing on Google Street view!
I've had some thoughts about the possibility of looping the track (yellow) out to the edges like "The Bridge" and taking it underneath the inner edge of a curved "C" shaped layout. I've roughly sketched out my idea. This would save work on modelling lots of buildings and roads and help focus the eye on the visible track path over the Saltash bridges. It may also work with an "L" shaped layout.

J.

Saltash bridges layout suggestion 1 track loop.tiff
Saltash bridges layout suggestion - track loop
Saltash bridges layout suggestion 1 track loop.tiff (1.92 MiB) Viewed 813 times

Saltash bridges layout suggestion 2 C shape.jpg
Saltash bridges layout suggestion - C shape
Saltash bridges layout suggestion 2 C shape.jpg (141.12 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Ruskyviewer

Postby dkightley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:50 am

One thing I didn't mention in my first post was the size of the layout....which is marked by the rectangular box that sticks up out of the base scenery. This rectangle is 2.6m x 1.6m....which is the same size as six of the aluminium tables I have for The Bridge put together to form a rectangle with a long thin hole in the middle. This would allow me to use a similar construction technique...and re-use the tables!!

After my first post, I worked out I could rotate the rectangular tube round so that the track disappeared off the edge of the layout in a similar way to Jim's idea of a "C" shaped layout. Spin the whole layout round so the taymar bridge is in front of the rail bridge....and it looks a lot simpler to run the rail round into a fiddle yard across the back of the layout:
Saltash_Concept2.PNG
Saltash_Concept2.PNG (116.77 KiB) Viewed 809 times

The only issue I now have is that the roads running off each end of the road bridge are now at the front of the layout....and will need to disappear under an overhang...or something like that.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby msimister » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:26 pm

And there's also the Southern line that goes under the main bridges and alongside the river that would add further interest - and complication. Doug?
msimister

Postby dkightley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:06 pm

I'd forgotten that line..... :oops: I need to add it to the "plan".

It's a single track.....so that'll be easy to set up an occasional shuttle back and forth. Just need enough space to allow a reversing point out of sight at each end!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:04 am

And here's a revised view:
Saltash_Concept2a.PNG
Saltash_Concept2a.PNG (113.04 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Re: Saltash Bridges

Postby dkightley » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:42 pm

With the benefit of six months of taking The Bridge out to shows, I've revised my thoughts to reduce the layout down to a travel volume that will fit in the back of a hatchback.....reducing setup times and exhibitor costs. Here's the current layout plan shown in yet another 3D view.....
3DView_Poss_Final.JPG
3DView_Poss_Final.JPG (43.5 KiB) Viewed 32 times

This makes the "viewable " area six feet wide and just over three feet deep with the rear corners angled off to form a roughly half-ellipse shape. There's also a one foot wide enclosure at each end hiding the run-arounds, etc.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Return to T Gauge Layouts