Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Postby dkightley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:11 pm

I've been pressing on with things since the last update....in between taking The Bridge to Stevenage and other things.

The most progress has been on designing and printing a range of quick-release posts for supporting the track behind the scenes. As I'm wanting to pack the layout for transport in as small a volume as possible, I was not wanting the track supports to stick out underneath the track bed sections, or on the base board, so my removable quick release posts were born. Here's a photo of a selection:
IMG_3353_red.JPG
IMG_3353_red.JPG (112.67 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Front row, left to right, the bottom latch section, the post, and the top latch section. The top and bottom sections will be fixed to the base board and track bed respectively. The post section is dropped into the bottom latch and the track bed positioned and the top latch dropped onto the post. A 45 degree twist of the post, aided by the small tab, will lock things tight!

And here's a wider shot showing a few in approx. position...along with some of the fixed supports that will get incorporated into the scenery groundwork:
IMG_3357_red.JPG
IMG_3357_red.JPG (109.06 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

I'm also progressing well with the design of parts for the Royal Albert Bridge. I've completed CAD work on the viaduct supports and have started on the main towers. Once I get these done and draft parts printed, I will then be able to print a draft of the rail deck, so I'll then be able to mark out and create the track bed sections and start fitting them to the base board. Here's a photo of a few of the viaduct support parts:
IMG_3356_red.JPG
IMG_3356_red.JPG (74.81 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
The bottom parts of the support will be submerged in the scenery, with the top sections plugging when the viaduct is assembled .

I've moved on slightly with the development of the wye point for Saltash station. I'm ready to start cutting and shaping the moveable track sections. I've worked out the arrangements to get the right power to the right bits of track for the two point positions. I'll be using either an microswitch to switch power around on the frog & moving rails...although I'm looking at an electronic switching option as an alternative!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Nutter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 pm

good to see the progress Doug.
Waiting on the updates on the Point :D :roll:
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Postby dkightley » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Here's a screengrab of the current state of the CAD for the Royal Albert Bridge, showing for the first time the iconic shape of this bridge:
RAB_Span_CAD_240118.JPG
RAB_Span_CAD_240118.JPG (76.62 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

So that I can start setting out the track layout, I'll probably print unfinished versions of the bridge track bed and towers so I can do a dry assembly to get positioning right.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:00 am

I had to post this photo of a dry assembly.....
IMG_3362_red.JPG
IMG_3362_red.JPG (86.71 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

And midst all the excitement about points, here's the current state of my custom point at Saltash:
IMG_3363_red.JPG
IMG_3363_red.JPG (59.76 KiB) Viewed 1627 times

The plate in front sits a bit too tightly under the rails at present.....but will be operated by a lever running to underneath where the two brown track joiners are...and will be operated by a servo.

The thin and long profile of the girderwork has somewhat defined how the point will work. Not bad considering there'll be fresh air underneath all the way along this section!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 pm

After having attended a regional meeting of MERG over the weekend, I've now made some progress on the control panel design for the DCC automation software....which is called JMRI.

Here's the track layout panel:
JMRIPanel.JPG
JMRIPanel.JPG (53.7 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

The track path is shown in red where sections are occupied, and the simulated LEDs are train detectors for pinpointing the exact location of trains. The above schematic has been rigged to indicate three trains on the layout; one on the bridge travelling away from Saltash (note the point setting gives a hint of direction), one on the branch line (direction not indicated....so what!), and a third sitting on the flexi-traverser ready to head over the bridge after the train already on the bridge has cleared the single line section.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Some visible progress at last......

For the first time, I've been able to dry assemble the whole bridge....so I can see if it will all fit together, and make sure I'm happy with the way it fits together and comes to bits, particularly as the layout is designed as an exhibition layout!!

Here's an overall shot:
IMG_3395_red.JPG
IMG_3395_red.JPG (81.91 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Cornwall to the left, and Portsmouth [EDIT]..whoops, Plymouth[/EDIT] the other side of the wardrobe doors! The two main spans you see in this shot are not the final parts....they're just temporary deck sections I printed purely for sorting out placement.

A closer view of the Portsmouth [EDIT]..whoops again, Plymouth[/EDIT] side:
IMG_3399_red.JPG
IMG_3399_red.JPG (67.65 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Only seven sections of viaduct this side. The last support also holds the 5mm ply track bed.

And a closer view of the Cornwall (or Saltash) side:
IMG_3397_red.JPG
IMG_3397_red.JPG (82.11 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
A few more sections this side....including the left-most two sections that hold the custom point where the single line track splits to go into Saltash station.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby msimister » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Looking good Doug. Er, well yes, Portsmouth but Plymouth is closer...
msimister

Postby dkightley » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 am

With the DCC side of things now back on track....( I'll have to stop using that pun! ;) Its not funny any more.... :lol: ), I'm pushing on with starting to fix down the piers for the Royal Albert Bridge. I've just finished printing a set of pins that will push through the top of the layout board sections from below and locate into mating holes in the bottom halves of the viaduct supports.

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow (Friday) I'll have got to the point where I can start marking out the ply for the track bed.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby gbtrains » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi Doug

That looks great .

Keep up the good work.

Reagrds
Graham :D
gbtrains

Postby dkightley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 am

After a decision I've recently made, progress on the build will probably slow down for a month or two as I turn my attention to a DCC upgrade on The Bridge, which I have decised to carry out to speed the process of getting an exhibition layout that utilises DCC.

Despite the above, I've today cut out the first of the ply track bed sections that will go "behind the scenes". A twin track section that makes up almost 75% of a complete loop!!!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts