Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: New T Gauge Layout No Name Yet

Postby NeilM » Thu May 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Nutter wrote:Nearest supplier of the humbrol railmatch colours is not local and don't want a 50 mile round trip just for a pot of paint

Do you have Boyes stores in your neck of the woods? If they are just a northern thing then you may wonder what on earth I am talking about - if so then please ignore as it would be a 400 miles round trip!

However if you do, the sell Vallejo acrylics which come in a huge range of colours. These work very well on Shapeways FUD. Have not tried them on other materials, so can not say if they would do equally as well or not on those.

They are not labelled by railway friendly terms, but with so many colours you should be able to find something close. I can see that you already have this covered, but for info I use 099 GER. DARK GREEN for BR green diesel main body colour.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby Nutter » Thu May 12, 2016 3:07 pm

On the off chance I phoned my local model shop and they had what I wanted in stock so now got the Crimson Lake I wanted and also a bag of fine green scatter
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos. Happy to spot potential problems that other people may have overlooked.
Nutter

Postby Nutter » Thu May 12, 2016 7:21 pm

Am I being unrealistic, have just measured the boot of my little hatchback and can fit a 34" x 15" baseboard between the wheel arches and without folding the rear seats down

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos. Happy to spot potential problems that other people may have overlooked.
Nutter

Postby dkightley » Thu May 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Did you guesstimate a decent thickness for the layout when you did your measuring???

When I did the same exercise to determine what size I could get away with for Robins Run, I forgot to take into account the extra depth of the layout caused by the fixed "backdrop" that stick upward all the way round, and consequently its a bit of a wiggle getting the layout in width ways between the rubber seals round the tailgate opening and the narrowing caused by the hinged section in the rear parcel shelf. Its like posting a 4ft by 3ft letter into a giant postbox!! :shock: :shock:

As you're planning on not folding the seats down, did you allow for the seat backs sloping backwards?? Again, the height of the layout matters!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Nutter » Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Wheel arches come in slightly compared to actual hatch opening.
No Parcel shelf fitted and I can adjust the seat backs so they are vertical - dam clever these Japanese designers.
Japanese Kei car to transport a Japanese origin scale - Little cars and Little Trains :)

Nutter

Postby mattd10 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:27 pm

So I need to think in metric to get an idea for the space (38x86cm if anyone else is the same). I'd say that's plenty of space depending on what you want! If (for example) you wanted a 4 track station for full lenth HST's I'd say you need a bit more, but for trains in scenery or a town station I think it's plenty!

Let us know when you have any kind of plan sorted!
mattd10

Postby Nutter » Fri May 13, 2016 8:24 am

Matt your metric calculation is correct.
4 coach EMU and the baby deltic with a 4 coach train will probably be my limit.
Have a few ideas but need to get more research done on the original location to see how it could work with T Gauge points.

Nutter

Postby Nutter » Sun May 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Finished version of one of Doug's Mk1 coaches - I say finished but temp sitting on a modified set of 103 bogies borrowed from one of my Z narrow gauge wagons until I get the correct sets,
The camera shows that I could have done better on the roof although every thing looks ok from 12" not 3" using 8 meg macro setting on the camera

Nutter

Postby Nutter » Mon May 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Currently at a major stumbling block, all fingers and thumbs, even though I have done them before just not successful yet replacing the springs on my 16m chassis. Bad day maybe just can't stop one hand shaking so back to the back burner for that job.

Nutter

Postby Kupzinger » Mon May 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Oh dear. Had the job recently and lost the spring... Good luck!
Kupzinger

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts