•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Scottish West Coast on 28 x 30 cm

Postby Kupzinger » Sun May 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Dear Colleagues,

this is my first post in this forum. Therefore, I would like to introduce myself briefly. Also, in a few images, I would like to show what has happened so far.
I am living in Vienna, Austria, and have been active in 1:160 scale for more than a decade. My small German/Austrian cross-border modular N layout “Pyrkerfeld” can be seen here.
http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=123583
Well, it’s all German, but the images should give an impression.

Now, since a year or so, I was thinking about doing something in T, and finally I started. The first idea was actually a 1:333 narrow gage layout (http://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130496), but then I wanted to have something really “small-scale”.

I did some exercises to scratch-build a British Railways Mark I coach with Ink Jet and paper, which seemed to me quite promising.

Having this done, the way was clear to the first layout idea: something around the Scottish West Highland line!

The mist famous feature on this line is of course the Glenfinnan Viaduct. I crossed it with my wife in 2011 with one of the regular steam specials that operate on the West Highland Extension from Fort William to Mallaig.

I made a lot of planning exercised (which I like), and this was the final idea about Glenfinnan that would actually fit in our guest room. The marked segment has a size of 80 x 54 cm. The radius of the viaduct track is 50 cm.

I am hopelessly fascinated by the possibility to build original scenes in exact scale. This has not been done too many times in T yet, for whatever reasons. I know only these two examples:
Orbost (Australia) http://victorian-tgauge.blogspot.co.at/ ... rbost.html
And “The Bridge” in this Forum, another Scottish theme: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=123

Currently, the plan is to build a scale model of the Station of Mallaig, the end point of the West Highland Extension, on something like 90 x 40 cm.

But, and this but is the last twist in this short introduction story, in order to do this, I found it necessary to make a small exercise first. And this is why I would like to report about my small Scottish West Coast Diorama here.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Re: Scottish West Coast on 28 x 30 cm

Postby Kupzinger » Sun May 01, 2016 3:17 pm

“Think small for a beginning” has been a successful motto for me in the last two years of railway modelling, since I have a little daughter and a job, and besides that, there is not much time left. So, tiny projects have the chance to be finished some days.

This diorama uses a mixture of foam material (Styrodur in German) and plaster for rock modelling. The base situation can be seen in the image. The setting is similar to the West Highland Extension very close to Mallaig, where the track is close to the sea for a mile or so and then turns into the countryside.

The rock is modelled out of the soft plaster material before it got hard. At a later stage, I used a knife to add the characteristic scratches. The whole scene got a gray-brown base color (mixed acrylic colors). Then I used back and brown glaze which I removed quickly after I had applied it by a piece of cloth. Finally, I used a very dry brush with white color to add some lights. Also a few yellow dots were applied. In the original, they stem from sea weed, and are much smaller, though.

I used a very fine sand to cover the rest of the surface. Also a piece of road was added and sanded. In the next step, some green material will be added.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby Reith01 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Very nice indeed.

I now wish I'd started with something smaller, intending to scrap my first shot on a board 1.8m x 0.5m (probably to go for an end-to-end 2m x 300mm). Your rocky coast line is brilliant. Very nice photography too. I look forward to more!

All the best,
Ivor (Reith 01)
Reith01

Postby Nutter » Sun May 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Very nice you have certainly got the wild look and I am impressed with your coach stock. Looks fine in the small scale
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

Postby SmallCentral » Sun May 01, 2016 5:40 pm

It is just awesome 8-)
SmallCentral

Postby dkightley » Sun May 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi.

Brilliant work!!!

Seeing that viaduct, I had to post this link: http://www.talkingtgauge.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=243 PM me if you're interested in me producing one for you...
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Kupzinger » Mon May 02, 2016 9:21 am

Hi all,

thanks for your numerous feedbacks and warm welcome. Feels great :)

Doug, thanks for the offer for 3D Printing help for the viaduct! I will come back to that if I really make it so far and start with Glenfinnan. I just fear my Mallaig project will take me ages :=) Let's see.

More images of the Diorama to come soon.

Cheers
Friederich
Kupzinger

Postby Kupzinger » Tue May 03, 2016 12:02 pm

So, let’s come to the green stuff. One of the advantages of a Scottish Highland theme is that there are not too many trees to build. Vast areas are virtually without any tree, and the surface is really close to what can be modelled using turf in T. The art however is to get the colors right, and I do not want to day that I am particularly good in this. I used a mixture of different greens and some yellow. Maybe, the overal green is to homogeneous and I should have mixed it only on the final surface. I will try that option next time.

With all this green, the landscape looks much friendlier now. I had to get used to this at first, but now I am fine with the result.

The final picture is a little preview on the kind of building I am planning to place in one corner of the Diorama. Can you see the sea weed on the rocks? :)

I currently try to improve the paper building with a multiple-layer-approach, more images to follow once this has worked out.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby martink » Tue May 03, 2016 3:55 pm

You have done some really nice work there. Another layout I will be watching closely!
martink

Postby Kupzinger » Wed May 04, 2016 7:37 pm

The Building

Here we are. My small contribution to the art of paper buildings in T.

On the area I am planning to model in my next project, the Mallaig terminus, one specific type of building is represented four times – a good candidate for a test. I draw the building in InkScape, a freeware drawing program, and made a few test assemblies. Well, it looked good, but a bit too flat.

In order to get around this flatness, I tried to use a two-layer approach, which I would like to propose here because it gives a very convincing look. Essentially, I print the building twice. One on glossy photo paper, and one on self-adhesive white stickers. The photo paper version goes inside and has therefore slightly shorter walls.

The photo paper building is glued around a baseplate. Now comes the trick.

With a sharp cutter knife I cut out the windows from the sticker-printed walls. This takes some exercise and a lot of patience in the beginning.

The two layers fitted together result in a nice shiny window glass effect. I got addicted to this and it made me go on with window cutting once I saw it the first time.

The rest is quite straight forward. Some details are added, roofs are glued on.

I printed more stickers than I needed and used the remaining ones as a source for very small stripes, which are mounted below the windows. This is much easier than doing this with extra glue. Plus, the color matches perfectly.

Finally, I placed the building on the diorama. Since I did not prepare the fundament before, it required some integration work into the surrounding grass area. I used very fine grey sand (for walkways in Z) and worked it into the corners with a brush full of a glue/water/cleaning liquid mixture that quickly mixed up with the sand and made it a kind of cement.

So, in summary, this is my two-layer paper approach for T houses. 3D-printed buildings have more structural details, but I guess (without having tried it yet) that painting them is quite a challenge. This is why I like the printing approach more.

Next time I will make the roof again from black-printed 80g/m2 paper and not from thicker material, the bends are not as sharp as I would like them to be. Also, I wonder if my building is not a bit too big, I will post more images soon, maybe you can help my judging this.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Next

Return to T Gauge Layouts