•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

New here, teething problems in early stages of layout.

Postby synojack » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi all, Just registered here and am new to T gauge, haven't had a layout for 5 or so years. I Was only made aware of T gauge a few weeks ago and was instantly drawn in with ideas of the huge areas you could fit in a tiny space. I recieved my order of a few meters of track, KIHA 48 and hand held PWM on friday and have begun work on my layout over the weekend, having layed down my first bit of track I ran a test run and found the loco was very stuttery but continues when nudged or when a small amount of pressure is applied to the top, is this peraps due to uneven track or dodgy soldering of power cables to the track? A link to the video is below, thanks in advance for any help, Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6xRU-D ... e=youtu.be
synojack

Re: New here, teething problems in early stages of layout.

Postby mattinair » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 am

I left a comment on your UTube channel.......I'm too lazy to type twice...clean, clean, clean, lubricate then clean some more.....maybe just me but it seems like the more I actually play with my train set the better it runs :roll: :P
mattinair

Postby mattd10 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 am

Cleanliness is the key! Get the track nice and clean and run the kiha in. I find regular printer paper folded over several times does a great job at track cleaning. You may need several laps at high speed so it doesn't stall, but the more it runs the better it will do long term. I'm not sure you'll have one since you ordered everything separately, but a wheel cleaner used before and each running session can help.
Good luck with it and do keep us posted!
mattd10

Postby synojack » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 am

Thanks all, will give it a clean tomorrow. Seems better after running for a bit but theres still one small section of track it stalls on. I'm assuming there must just be a bit of dust or something on it as the section is flat and a very gentle bend. Need to pick up a finer soldering iron head as well as I completely wrecked a bit of track earlier trying to join the gaps between the rail joiners.
synojack

Postby mattinair » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:21 am

The track connectors can be very fussy.....sometimes they look fine but if you run your finger over the joint you'll feel a tiny misalignment....reconnecting them while applying a slight twist sometimes helps.... ;)
mattinair

Postby Reith01 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:32 pm

I've had a few problems. On a clean new piece of track they seem to work well even at creep speeds but on a layout I put together things changed.

These are just my experiences:
- the rail joiners seem a bit dodgy. They do work but not well probably because of hamfisted treatment when laying sections of track.
I think I'll use half-metre pieces on a new layout, the metre lengths for long straights only. I decided to sacrifice a couple of sleepers per length to
solder wire connections to each piece. It's possible to disguise the result.

- You may have to think about temperature variation where you'll keep and run the layout.
With a temperature variation of around 20ºC where I was working on mine, expansion turned out to be a disaster.
I glued the tracks down which means expansion pushes them out of gauge, not to mention twisting them.
Next time they'll be pinned and with small gaps at the joints. No amount of cleaning or rail magic has sorted it out.
I worry about emery-ing the track in case it leaves residues that get into the mechanism with magnetic wheels.
Be sure to clean up thoroughly afterwards!

- points are a problem for several reasons. They're ok running a double header but the 16m chassis with which I try things out
won't clear the points without stalling. The 19m isn't much better. I've taken current measurements and there simply is no conductivity to the train.
But this has been discussed here. There are ways around these things, some I'm not prepared to take!

Good luck!
Reith01

Postby Reith01 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:02 pm

In fact, I've just noticed that Tgauge.com is offering rail joiners as separate pieces, not joined to the plastic base - great. They can
be soldered to. This'll save a few problems trying to solder wire to the track or cutting into the plastic ones.

cheers,
Reith01

Postby synojack » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info, running is fine even at low speeds now, I think it just needed to be run for a bit. I've been using the small peco N gauge joiners which seem to be perfect thus far.
synojack

Return to T Gauge Layouts