Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: Making a go of it

Postby Reith01 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Progressing but discovering how much time it takes to get everything done. Partly it's bad logistics...waiting for an online order. That's fine when you can plan and order well in advance but it's the item you suddenly realise you need now!

But there're always things to do. The other time-consumer is the model-making itself. In this tiny scale everything has to be as clean cut as possible. I spent this afternoon making just one wall of a model bank. There's also a long retaining wall that had to be equipped with buttresses and treated with a plaster wash. Next stage on that will be painting it then installing lighting on some of the buttresses.

Reminds me that I have to order more blades. One does get through rather a lot.
Reith01

Postby Reith01 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:19 pm

There were times one could pop down one's local model shop - almost an extinct species now.
Reith01

Postby Reith01 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:04 pm

It's become logistics. Some electricals need sorting out before more work on the scenery.

There's a retaining wall, beneath it a road separating it from the station (still under construction). I wanted street lighting on the buttresses and tried out some of those tiny LEDs. The veroboard circuits are glued to the back. Sorry about the photo quality, this was more a test for general effect. The lights look far less dazzly outside the camera but I may just tone them down. Next it'll be the station platforms and their lighting.

Reith01

Postby Reith01 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Making progress on the high street buildings.

I set up this pub/hotel to test the lighting. The building needs a bit more work but (needs a sign and panel in the space toward the right). I'm lighting only the front and ground floor (the bar is nicely dim - scale lumens!).
Here it's standing on its veroboard. There are 4 separate lamp circuits (maybe a 5th if I decide to light the top floor).

It seems a problem that has to be borne - some buildings will need electronics underneath. I got the best result for general light by setting it under the floor that has a tracing paper panel. That won't always be practical.

The scale can be compared - the wire looping out under the front is 0.25mm dia.

I've done a few more and will set up the beginnings of a high street next.

(I hate these modern cameras. My old film one had split image focusing. Alas I'm told it would be very expensive on a digital camera these days. How can I afford trains and cameras??)
Reith01

Postby NeilM » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:52 am

This is looking good. You already have me replanning my high street to include lighting....
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby Reith01 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:05 pm

NeilM wrote:This is looking good. You already have me replanning my high street to include lighting....

Thank you, Neil.

I won't be having everything lit up. Plans were for the station area and the main street facing the layout front (which will hold about 8 shops and commercial buildings - in spite of the scale there isn't so much space). Maybe a few others. Some of the houses I bought are solid and can't be lit so I may put up a few street lights.

I want to keep the built-up areas portable in case I have to scrap the original layout so the electrics will be integral to each sub-base.

That's the plan. But the best laid plans, etc!!
Reith01

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts