Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

T gauge viaduct

Postby clives » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:17 pm

T gauge Combe Haven Viaduct.jpg
(302.37 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Hello All

It's taken some time but I'm now getting on with my T gauge layout again...after one idea was started and aborted a few years back.
Attached ,hopefully, is my T gauge version of the Combe Haven viaduct that straddled the Combe Haven stream and valley on the old SECR Bexhill West branch in East Sussex ,UK...until it was blown up and demolished in 1969. I travelled over this viaduct several times as a kid in the early 60s...and one could still see it post closure from a Hastings line train nearing St Leonards ...until may 1969.
It was 417 yards long and working to 0.65mm=1 foot ( which is what I am working to with T gauge) it therefore measures 813mm long ( 2'6" in old money) and stands the scale 71.5 ft high. Notice UK 20p coin on the right hand side of the photo,
Just got to do some track laying /scenery...the blu-tacked back scene is just for experimentation purposes.

Cheers
Clive
clives

Re: T gauge viaduct

Postby clives » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Sorry about the photo quality but I had to reduce it from the 1.5 mb original...by the time it's reduced to below 350 kb it has lost a lot of detail...seems daft that only 350 kb can be uploaded.

[quote="clives"]
T gauge Combe Haven Viaduct.jpg

Hello All

It's taken some time but I'm now getting on with my T gauge layout again...after one idea was started and aborted a few years back.
clives

Postby dkightley » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 pm

...seems daft that only 350 kb can be uploaded.

Its not daft at all....for me!

The site is funded out of my own pocket and photos take up space...and space costs money. So if I allow lots of megga sized photos to be uploaded they soak up allocated space...and the day I have to start paying out more of my own money to get a larger allocation will come sooner rather than later.

Looking at the photo, it looks a very nice viaduct model....and I look forward to seeing more details as your build progresses.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby clives » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:09 am

dkightley wrote:
...seems daft that only 350 kb can be uploaded.

Its not daft at all....for me!

The site is funded out of my own pocket and photos take up space...and space costs money.

Hello Doug

I can see it from that point of view....just that I only use my phone camera and I don't think I can lower the resolution on it...so with reduction the photo has gone from HD format to 'blurry'..

Cheers
Clive
clives

Postby dkightley » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:27 am

I've never used any of them but searching via Google has located apps for both IPhone and Andriod called Image Resizer that may help.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby martink » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:26 pm

You can also resize and usually greatly reduce the size of image files using any common paint program - even good old Windows Paint.

Just load the file and then save it again as a .jpg (even if it is already a .jpg). It all depends on how much compression your camera does, but load/save is usually enough to reduce it to 25% of its original size (at least with my old clunky camera!). I usually Stretch/Skew by 50% and crop the edges a bit as well, reducing typical file sizes to 100kB while still retaining 2000 x 1500 or similar resolution.
martink

Postby clives » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:20 pm

martink wrote:You can also resize and usually greatly reduce the size of image files using any common paint program - even good old Windows Paint.

Just load the file and then save it again as a .jpg (even if it is already a .jpg). It all depends on how much compression your camera does, but load/save is usually enough to reduce it to 25% of its original size (at least with my old clunky camera!). I usually Stretch/Skew by 50% and crop the edges a bit as well, reducing typical file sizes to 100kB while still retaining 2000 x 1500 or similar resolution.

Hello

Yes..I have been resizing photos/slides for many years in paint and paint.net...but with downloaded smartphone photos the resizing is not as good , resolution wise, as it is for these......for some reason.

Cheers

Clive
clives

T gauge viaduct

Postby clives » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:14 am

Hello All

After a few months of frustrations and much changing of designs I have now come up with a working layout.......phew!
At first I decided to make some traversers.....I was not happy with ordinary point work it just wasn't good enough with the dead spots...especially the 'run through points. My idea was to reduce such things and get as much continuity as possible. The 4 track traversers worked to an extent but it still meant that there was 4 joints for a one way run from end to end or 8 for a complete circuit. In the end , 4th design, I came up with a slightly more simple design of just using the built in flexibility of flexible track and only needing two lines on the 'traverser' rather than the original four,to do the same thing. ..and only two joints each way. I did fix the double 'main line' track to a slider at each end so that it, the ends of the 'main line' goes across 7mm before the servo continues to wack the remaining 4mm across on the traverser....this will be hidden by scenery so is not too detrimental for an eye level layout. This has resulted in good running ...my mandate was that a single powered vehicle had to do it all ok.
Attached are photos of the original 4 traversers and the new two track ones.

Cheers
Clive S
Attachments
.jpg
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Left hand end.jpg
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
T Gauge traversers.jpg
(525.17 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
clives

Return to T Gauge Layouts