•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Ribblehead T gauge layout

Postby barneyadi » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Thought i would start a layout topic although progress will be relatively slow at first. The first problem was choosing where to model. Browsing thru some track plan books and magazines I came across the Ribblehead viaduct on the Settle and Carlisle line would I think would make a great area to model.

The layout will be up to 9ft by 3ft in size, which should comfortably fit the Ribblehead viaduct. My first thought is how to construct the baseboards, do I start with a flat board and start from there or drop part of the baseboard to incorporate the viaduct. My carpentry skills are lacking but sure I can sort it out.

Have a book on order which should help with scenery and buildings so some 3d printing will be on the cards. Fortunately my computer skills are better than my carpentry skills.

Dave
barneyadi

Re: Ribblehead T gauge layout

Postby martink » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:11 am

In a larger scale you would almost certainly have to use an open plan or dropped baseboard, but it is simpler in T. The Ribblehead viaduct is about 32m high and 400m long, or just 2.5" by 31" in T Gauge, so you have lots of options.
martink

Postby mattinair » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:13 am

I thought I had posted this stuff to "where is T at?" in the general discussion section but maybe it didn't get through (?) I tried posting a reply to your private message but I was unable to include the photos of the stuff I got from tamvalleydepot.com>>>>I'm using cheap servos mounted so they can be removed without disturbing the switches
DSCN0781_01.JPG
DSCN0781_01.JPG (266.61 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
>>>controllers
DSCN0782_01.JPG
DSCN0782_01.JPG (329.56 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
>>>and push buttons with colored LED lights
DSCN0780_01.JPG
DSCN0780_01.JPG (269.79 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
>>>backside of push buttons
DSCN0787_01.JPG
DSCN0787_01.JPG (345.85 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
mattinair

Postby barneyadi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:21 pm

martink wrote:In a larger scale you would almost certainly have to use an open plan or dropped baseboard, but it is simpler in T. The Ribblehead viaduct is about 32m high and 400m long, or just 2.5" by 31" in T Gauge, so you have lots of options.

I think a flat baseboard and working from there will be the way I go, as seems most straightforward. Could always purchase a baseboard if really struggling.

mattinair wrote:I thought I had posted this stuff to "where is T at?" in the general discussion section but maybe it didn't get through (?) I tried posting a reply to your private message but I was unable to include the photos of the stuff I got from tamvalleydepot.com>>>>I'm using cheap servos mounted so they can be removed without disturbing the switches
DSCN0781_01.JPG
>>>controllers
DSCN0782_01.JPG
>>>and push buttons with colored LED lights
DSCN0780_01.JPG
>>>backside of push buttons
DSCN0787_01.JPG

Electrics scare the hell out of me. Got 2 PWM controllers, not sure how easy a different controller might be, see others have created their own. If anyone has simple points control instead of hand of god, please let me know.
barneyadi

Postby Nutter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Can't post full details as using my phone but the old method of wire in tube is another option. You would still have to modify the points at Matt has .
Flat baseboard is the way to go and then make the scenery out of foam/papier mache/what ever else takes your fancy.
It also means that the viaduct can be built level and you only have to blend the ends into the landscape.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

Postby martink » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:13 pm

barneyadi wrote:I think a flat baseboard and working from there will be the way I go, as seems most straightforward. Could always purchase a baseboard if really struggling.

That is how I did it with Sarum Bridge. That viaduct is the same height and about 80% of the length of Ribblehead, so here's a very early constructional pic of the fit-check phase with the ply trackbed pieces loosely sitting on props on top of a traditional flat baseboard.

martink

Postby mattd10 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Another option for a baseboard is expanded foam from the likes of B+Q (or similar) with wooden surrounds and supports for rigidity.

This is where I got the idea from (ignore the fact it's N gauge :lol: ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suFF8wRdriE

This way you can have 2 layers for "ground level" and then carve away at what you don't need to create embankments and the higher level for the viaduct.

The original Tgauge.com layout had a viaduct based on glenfiddich and this video shows how the entire thing was created so may be of some use! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jIdBa1qLeY

Best of luck with it all, will be following intently!
mattd10

Postby dkightley » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:32 pm

There's also the way I did Robins Run, which is documented here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24

The bottom line is that there's lots of different ways to achieve the same results. The trick is to find the method you think you'll feel the most comfortable in using......and that's a decision only you can make!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby NeilM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:10 pm

It was only just over a week ago that I was driving past the Ribblehead viaduct, and predictably thinking what a good T scale model it would make.

The are several way you could construct the board, as per all the above replies. However, depending on how much scenery you are surrounding it with, the land around does rise away from the viaduct. If you are modelling this, and due to the limited actual height in T, a flat board with the surrounding scenery raised would seem like the easiest. This raised scenery could be easily made from expanded or extruded polystyrene (expanded being cheaper, but very messy whilst shaping!)
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby barneyadi » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Well received a book I was waiting on about the Settle and Carlisle line which is very interesting. Didn't realise how many parts of it could be modelled so considering making a few changes but the viaduct is still in my plans.
barneyadi

Next

Return to T Gauge Layouts