Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: My T gauge addiction

Postby JoeMalinchak » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:55 am

I like the idea of using magnetic couplers! I will have to try it. I also like your work on your barn! Great job.

Joe.
JoeMalinchak

Postby mattinair » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:11 am

Thanks Joe.....I've been following the work that you've been doing with your rolling stock with great interest >>>It's nothing short of spectacular!>>>and is so informative>>> a real inspiration....Thanks again....
RE: the magnetic couplers....I'll try to post some photos of my technique so far....under the ROLLING STOCK heading
mattinair

Postby JoeMalinchak » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:04 am

I have some interesting projects planned, and I will do my best to share my techniques will everyone.
I will be following your progress with the magnetic couplers!
JoeMalinchak

Postby mattinair » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:16 am

Sorry, I actually posted the magnetic coupler data & photos in the Tips & tricks section....
mattinair

Postby JoeMalinchak » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:26 am

I did see that no problem!
JoeMalinchak

Postby mattinair » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 am

Maybe I should call this post "Another thing wrong with the switches"
I've added 3 more power connections to the main line down stream so to speak from the switches....Originally the main line had just 1 power connection and the trains would run at one speed until they got to a switch; as soon as they passed the switch they would run at a slower speed>Approximately half the main line was getting power directly from the connection the other half was getting power through those little brass tab & spring things in the switches......
DSCN1403_01.JPG
DSCN1403_01.JPG (93.54 KiB) Viewed 8890 times

2 of the sections on the main line have on off switches giving me several more places to park trains....
Happy to report that I've been testing it and the trains are now running the same speed all the way round the track

NOTE: I wish people weren't so shy about posting stuff on this site....Although I must confess I'm a little shy myself because a lot of the people posting are on such a high level of modeling.....But still I have so much fun reading about what others are doing in T gauge I just can't wait to see more posts....
mattinair

Postby NeilM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:42 am

Yes, extra feeds are needed to ensure that there are not voltage drops and power losses around the track.

Even in larger scales, where there is more contact area in the points, many modeller still add extra switched wiring to feed through the points rather than rely on the point blades for electrical continuity.

Also, even the regular rail joiners can suffer a small voltage drop on each one, which can build up on a large circuit.

So, with the above, and although it complicates what initially looks like a simple wiring task, you can never have too many power feeds. It is not a fault with T, it happens in all scales. Glad you got it sorted in the end.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby mattinair » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:54 am

work'n on schemes for arranging uncouplers on my layout(RED "u"s).....the green "c"s are supposed to represent train cars.... :roll:
DSCN1403_01.JPG
DSCN1403_01.JPG (66.62 KiB) Viewed 8851 times
mattinair

Postby NeilM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:35 am

I am watching the work on couplings and uncouplers with interest. All the layouts I have recently built in other scales have been shunting layouts, and whilst I like the ability of T gauge to easily represent a long mainline run I would also like to be able to replicate some of the workings of my shunting layouts as well.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby mattinair » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:49 am

At this stage it's sort of impressionistic shunting.... ;)
But still really fun...
mattinair

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts