•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

My T gauge addiction

Postby mattinair » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:33 am

Thanks to T gauge I'm able to play with toy trains for the first time in my life.
I got this layout running about 3 weeks ago... What incredibly addictive fun.
[img]c:\train1[/img]
I' m totally naive about this internet thing and haven't a clue what a "URL" is. I've put photos in my emails but not clear what to do here....bummer
Can anyone help ?
mattinair

Re: My T gauge addiction

Postby mattinair » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:23 am

first layout attempt
train1.jpg
(188.14 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

The trains seem to work well with 1 or 2 extra motors hidden in line
train2.jpg
(170.5 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Keeping it simple with 4 blocks & 4 switches
train3.jpg
(152.8 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Figured the cheap servos should be easy to replace
train5.jpg
(200.18 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Starting on the fun part (for a watercolor artist)...the scenery
train4.jpg
(279.72 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
mattinair

Postby mattinair » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:36 am

I've been able to "shunt" the little freight cars around coupling & uncoupling manually using N type couplers...anyone thinking about automating the couplers....I think it could be done (not in a scale manner...but still it looks possible)....
mattinair

Postby martink » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:13 pm

It is good to see another layout concept, and between RTR and 3D there now seems to be enough US and general bogie freight stock available for a decent variety of trains. That HST really gets around, but always looks good!

How well are the servo-driven points/switches behaving? You seem to have a reversing loop between the two lobes of your dogbone - how are you handling that? One of the red toggles on your panel?

As for uncoupling, you might be able to do something by removing the spring from one of the couplers and attaching a very small magnet to it - an electromagnet beneath the track could then force it to lift. A lot of trial and error experiments needed for that one, I think. The coupler would also have to be a loose fit - all of mine are tight enough that I use tweezers to squeeze them together when coupling up.
martink

Postby mattinair » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:18 pm

The switch servos are a bit noisy but other than that they work great. Albeit I had to massage the blades on one of the switches with a wooden toothpick before I could back unattached cars through consistently. The little box pwm controller with the extra slow motion is a godsend. (bit dramatic...but still).
On the decoupler thing.... I'm thinking of something(?) coming up between the rails and actually lifting the end of the car so the hoop (N type) on one car clears the peg on the other car. I found the springs have to be on to push the uncoupled cars around. Oh well I'm having so much fun obsessing on the scenery & structures right now I'll have to get back to my theories on decoupling & coupling later.
I have to say what a joy it is seeing all the neat stuff everybody is doing...
Thanks for turning me on to teenytinytrains.. I found that I could move a single magnet on the driver strip. Instead of cars & trucks I want to try moving people & animals ....(Ed & Dan will be getting back to me in march)
mattinair

Postby mattinair » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Oh yeah, the reverse line is controlled by one of the "red" toggle switches (guess I should put a different colored sleeve on it)
Here's a photo of a single magnet going around a teenytinny track
ed1.jpg
(129.15 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Sorry about my functional illiteracy.....And my oversize photos (got to figure that out)
mattinair

Postby martink » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 am

Single magnets do work fine with the linear motor track, but lack any directional control - whatever you have stuck on top will point in unpredictable directions. Two magnets (one flipped so that you have a north and a south pair) will track correctly. I use 3mm diameter x 2mm thick discs, but the 1mm thick discs might be more suitable for tiny objects. The diameter of 3mm makes it very easy to get the required 3mm spacing - you can use smaller magnets, but then have to get that bit right yourself. Possible future applications I have in mind are adding a pair of jousting knights to a medieval fair scene in front of New Sarum castle, and a small working canal boat layout. With imagination, there's lots and lots of potential.

For a quick way of shrinking photos, since you seen to be using Windows, you could just try good old MS Paint. Edit a picture file, select Image/Stretch-Skew and set both horizontal and vertical to 50% (or whatever), then save the file.
martink

Postby mattinair » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks for the great tips....
Jousting Knights....mind boggling !!!
mattinair

Postby ConnorL » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:50 pm

That is really cool! I can see the layout coming together nicely.

Impressive use of servo switches, also what are those blue boxcars?
ConnorL

Postby mattinair » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:09 am

Thanks.....
The blue boxcars are pieces of photo glued together to form the box (at this scale the heavy paper makes a quite sturdy structure)
mattinair

Next

Return to T Gauge Layouts