Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: Outer Melbourne

Postby Nutter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:34 am

looking good
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Postby martink » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:10 pm

A basic set of three trains for this layout is now complete. They cover two of the main types of suburban stock in service in Melbourne around 1980. If there is time before its first exhibition in late August, I may see about building an example of the third type as well, the one that was starting to replace them. As usual, the models are 3D printed and hand painted, with decals for the gold lining and Eishindo pantographs. The video shows them running on Monbulk Creek for a bush setting, as there are still spots on the network that look much like that.

https://youtu.be/gzXDuVlWTtA
martink

Postby msimister » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 am

They look convincing Martin. Great stuff
msimister

Postby martink » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:20 pm

One major problem that had to be solved for this type of layout was how to make the artwork for the rail and road track surfaces. The linear motor track needs to have a paper surface in order to make it look like a railway or roadway, as well as to give a smooth running surface. Matching dummy tracks and roads also need to be made, purely for scenic purposes, all with a fair amount of detail. Making realistic roads is also an issue for conventional T layouts.

The rail surface for Monbulk Creek was generated using Anyrail's 3D mode, and while this worked OK it took a fair amount of fiddly hand editing and doesn't easily scale to more complex layouts. Similarly, the short stretch of main road under the bridge was drawn up using GIMP. Again, while this did work, it was a painful process.

So, for the new layout, I adopted my traditional solution to this sort of problem: design a simple computer language to define the road network, then write a program to implement it, then write the control scripts to generate the graphics.

After a long days' work, here are some of the key road pieces and some sample rail pieces. When printed on A4 paper, all are correctly scaled for T. The rail side is 5'3" broad gauge with correct sleeper sizing and spacing, but no frogs as yet. So, not quite finished, but close!

mel-road1.jpg
(101.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet

test.jpg
test.jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 415 times
martink

Postby martink » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:23 pm

That nerve-racking step when the layout gets turned over and shaken to get rid of the excess scatter has now been performed, and things are looking pretty as hoped for. And it still runs. Now to start filling in the details...

DSCI0006.JPG
(541.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSCI0005.JPG
(649.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
martink

Postby Nutter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:15 pm

Martin can you show how you sorted the magnets to drive the road vehicles.
Mike
Nutter

Postby martink » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:59 am

Nutter wrote:Martin can you show how you sorted the magnets to drive the road vehicles.

Not quite sure what you mean by that question. A literal answer would be a pic or video of me moving a stick of 3 Ø x 2 mm magnets to one side of the table for use in most models, and the thinner 3 Ø x 1 mm ones to the other side. I am pretty confident that isn't what you are asking for. :)

I have one old thread that went into a bit of detail that might be more to the point:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130&start=10
martink

Postby Nutter » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:23 am

martink wrote:I have one old thread that went into a bit of detail that might be more to the point:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130&start=10

Thanks for the link, That covered exactly what I wanted to know :roll: even more embarassing it was me discussing it with you back then.
Mike
Nutter

Postby martink » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:35 am

It is finished at last! Well, almost - there are still a few rough edges and some chickens that have come home to roost. It is, however, ready for its first exhibition (Caulfield, Melbourne, Australia) this weekend. I'll deal with what shortcomings I can after the show, then freeze its state so that I can get started on #3.

martink

Postby dkightley » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am

Brilliant, Martin....

And good luck for the weekend.

PS I've embedded the video using the YouTube tag. It looks better that way!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts