Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Blea Moor

Postby martink » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:21 pm

And so it begins...

I have spent the last 3 months considering and evaluating many different concepts for my next layout, in both T and N, and have finally settled on the highly original idea of Ribblehead (in T). To try and preemptively reduce the confusion with the two other Ribblehead threads, for the purposes of this forum I am calling mine Blea Moor. Although it will probably end up being called Ribblehead elsewhere. :-)

The detailed design is still in flux, but the overall concept has settled down nicely.

Serious construction is scheduled to start in December.

The top level requirements are:
- a new exhibition layout, aiming for a first public showing in August 2018
- single-handed setup and fully automatic operation
- at least 2 trains in motion in the visible area most of the time
- as large as practicable, given transport and running-at-home constraints
- a narrow thread of railway lost in a large landscape
- no points
- few trees and buildings.

The main design features include:
- the visible area extends from the overbridge just beyond the Blea Moor loops through to the overbridge at the far end of Ribblehead station (2500m straight line or 2800m along the track in real life).
- two block posts (Blea Moor and Ribblehead) for train control, so 2 trains will be moving and up to 4 will be visible most of the time
- the layout will be a double track oval with no points, with half the track behind the backscene. Sidings and loops will be dummies. The Blea Moor loops will be designed for upgrading with working points if a decent product ever eventuates.
- the time period (for track plans, etc.) is not fully defined, but set prior to the line closure attempts, with loops at Blea Moor, double track over the viaduct, and either one single or two staggered platforms at Ribblehead
- built on either 3 or 4 baseboards, 5'-6'6"" x 2', with a total frontage of 16'-18' (final configuration still TBD)
- overall size and configuration as close to the prototype as possible, though probably requiring 10-20% length compression of the non-viaduct sections and curve straightening of the non-viaduct sections
- a curved baseboard design to support the 80 degrees of curvature over this stretch of track (although reduced to around 60 degrees by the compression), with viewing from the inside (east). This maximises the radius of the 180-degree curves at the ends, and allows me to set the layout up in the corner of a room at home for testing.
- minimum curve radius of at least 10" for the 180-degree curves, with negative super-elevation to try and keep long(ish) rakes of 4-wheel wagons on the track
- no gradients. The prototype gradient varies between 1 in 100 on the viaduct to 1 in 300 in the stations, but this will be ignored for simplicity and maximum train lengths.
- the control system will be a further upgrade of Sarum Bridge's, with independent control of each track, more than 3 trains per track, back-EMF feedback and anything else I can think of.
- all (or most) structures 3d printed by me.

A rough preliminary sketch of the design (Google Earth, slightly compressed in GIMP):

map2.jpg
Preliminary Board Design for Blea Moor
(112.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Nearly-final CAD shots of arches for the viaduct:

via1.jpg
Preliminary Arch Design
via1.jpg (99.18 KiB) Viewed 218 times

An early work-in-progress CAD shot of a king pier:

via2.jpg
Preliminary King Pier Design
via2.jpg (119.08 KiB) Viewed 218 times

More to follow as events progress!
martink

Re: Blea Moor

Postby Nutter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Looks like Bridges are the in thing at the moment. :D
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos. Happy to spot potential problems that other people may have overlooked.
Nutter

Postby msimister » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm

So you're aiming for Melbourne's big exhibition at Caulfield next year? (For others, Warley it ain't). Look forward to seeing it.
msimister

Postby dkightley » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 am

This will be the second 3D printed model of Ribblehead that's been made for T Gauge. The previous one, which is featured on one of the Ribblehead threads, I supplied in good faith...and they went incommunicado and haven't paid me for it! No idea what happened.......just had to put it down to experience! :(

Despite doing what I did...which I regretted....ie promised it would be ready for a show.....I hope you fair better and get it completed in plenty of time...and not like me, during the set-up for the show! :oops:
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby martink » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:14 am

A bit more progress - now ready to start on the timberwork.

The size has settled down to 4 identical wedge-shaped (trapezoid) boards, 4'9" along the front (viewing) edge, 5'6" along the rear edge, and 24" deep. They are effectively arranged on the outside of a 12' radius circle. Each is just a bit bigger than all of Sarum Bridge. The four boards together form a 90 degree curve with a viewing frontage of 19' (6m). This is basically the maximum size that I can squeeze into the car in a specially-designed transport frame, manhandle by myself, and fully assemble and test at home. It works out to about 85-90% of the prototype size, or close enough for government work.

A 3D printed model of the model, at 1:25 scale (1mm=1inch), or 1:11250 of the real thing...

DSCI0037.JPG
(254.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The model of the model packed into its model travelling frame for the back of the station wagon (not modelled)...

DSCI0041.JPG
DSCI0041.JPG (164.79 KiB) Viewed 116 times
martink

Return to T Gauge Layouts