•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridge

Postby dkightley » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Very enjoyable show.

Various cantilever sections re-glued during assembly and also a number of track joints replaced as they had become loose, etc. Joints at north end of bridge both needed replacing after all track assembled....took time to replace as no slack. Also, south drop-in track ply section did not seat correctly. Had to superglue in two spots to force placement.

Classes 158 & 170 DMUs & Class 68 with two Mk2s ran mostly flawlessly over two days. Class 68 developed growl on first day....traced to gearbox top cover being loose, allowing gears to bounce around. Rear bogie on trailing car on Class 170 kept derailing in south run-around loop during second day's running.....cause not discovered. Class 158 ran flawlessly throughout both days.....but one wheelset replaced with spare as precaution due to magnetic tyre on one wheel starting to break up at edge.

Only damage noted on breakdown is glued joint on north viaduct partial ungluing....need to re-glue before Bristol.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby vinceherman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Thank you for the debriefing after the shows.
You experience the maintenance needs at a much higher rate. Knowing what to expect gives us a better change to be prepared.
Vince Herman
Strongsville Ohio USA
Mostly Z but starting TGauge
vinceherman

Postby dkightley » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Thank you for the debriefing after the shows.

I'm doing so for two purposes....to remind myself and for what you say...passing on my experience to others.

In prep for Bristol, on cleaning power unit wheels, I found one of the wheel tyres on the power bogie of the Class 159 was loose. This may explain the occasional micro-stuttering of the DMU I noticed on a particular spot near the end of the second day where other units were okay!. Wheel changed with spare.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon May 01, 2017 12:22 pm

In the midst of clearing up after returning from the Bristol show.....a very good weekend at a good show.

The layout (as far as I have seen so far) has suffered no damage apart from a couple of caisson feet coming unglued...which is easy to resolve! As with all shows, the reaction from the public and traders/exhibitors was of amazement having seen T for the first time.....however I'm getting more and more who have seen the gauge and/or layout before.

And I've added to the collection of silverware....The layout was awarded the trophy for "Best scenery on a layout". This brings the award tally to five!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts