•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridge

Postby dkightley » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Dates listed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=397
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Since my last progress post, I've made good progress.....

I got the board and panel fitted by the end of Wednesday with very few problems. I then spent the best part of Thursday setting up a shortened layout...in my lounge!!, cos its the only room long enough....and cleaning track, etc, essentially setting up for testing, which I started Friday morning.

The system didn't complain when powered up...and initial tests showed up a few funnies. Firstly, with power connected to just section one, a train ran round the complete loop!! Connect power to section 2 & three, and the train runs on all sections except section 4, and with power on section 4, just that section! I checked all the power wiring & the only thing I found was I had forgotten to connect one power connection...which made no difference when correctly plugged in!! I eventually traced the issue to products of track cleaning shorting all three of the cuts I had made to create the sections. I removed the crap with a piece of paper & things worked a bit better. I need to permanently resolve this one.

The second issue was that some of the sensors were not always being triggered by all of the trains I had running. I also found and cured a wiring issue with the signals on one of the board sections.

The final issue I found was that I'd placed three of the four stop sensors too close to the ends of the rail sections...a boo boo on my part, I'd cut the rails at the wrong marks in error and didn't notice until I'd located the sensors. Trains were over-running the end of the section....and powering on ahead of where they should be. This resulted in all three trains either ending up stopped at stations permanently, or one train catching up with the train in front!!

I had a day off on Saturday, but today I corrected the sensor positioning errors.....and ta-dah! I had three trains running round the layout, pausing and/or stopping at stations to wait for the train ahead to clear the next track section. Brilliant!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I sat watching poetry in motion for the best part of an hour to prove things worked okay.

The next step is to tidy up the installation....I have wires underneath the layout sections to fix into their final position and protect from damage. I also need to insulate the sawn gaps in the track to prevent any possibility of shorts developing when I clean the track. And I can then carry on with getting the layout sorted for its first show...which is just under three weeks away!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:53 pm

With just a week to go before the first show of the season, I'm getting very close to the end of the list of jobs I'm wanting to get done.

I've now completely finished the installation of the T-Control system designed by Martin. I did the last job this morning....filling the rail gaps! :) :) :)

I have five mark 2E coaches in ScotRail livery....and I'm working on the livery for the class 68 loco shell I finished a day or so ago.

Once I get the class 68 finished and the couple of final jobs sorted, I can start looking at getting things ready for the 11th......probably start prepping after the weekend.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby martink » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 am

I am eagerly awaiting the show report for this one - and of course a new video! Needless to say, I hope it all goes well.
martink

Postby dkightley » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 am

Don't worry, Martin. There will be a video.....but it may not be from Newbury. It'll probably be Glasgow....with it being a three day show, I'll have more time.

And as I woke up far too early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, I got up and made some progress on the paper mock-up of the decal for the class 68.

Its coming along nicely:
P1010836_red.JPG
P1010836_red.JPG (39.2 KiB) Viewed 610 times

This is the most complex one so far.....there's four separate pieces! And I'll need to paint the central roof section black before applying them!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby mattd10 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Doug, I'm loving all of the rolling stock you're churning out for the bridge! Some seriously inspirational stuff! Can't wait to see them in the T gauge shop!
mattd10

Postby NeilM » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:40 am

Congratulations Doug, you have made in into the pages of Railway Modeller.... The current issue (hits the shelves on Thursday this week) has a full page advert for the Nottingham exhibition, and the photo on that page is one of the bridge.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby dkightley » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 am

Yay!

Thanks for the info, Neil. I'll have to get a copy.....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 pm

I've finally got the three trains finished read for the auto-running of the layout.

A three-car class 170 DMU:
P1010837_red.JPG
P1010837_red.JPG (68.85 KiB) Viewed 536 times

A two-car class 158 DMU:
P1010839_red.JPG
P1010839_red.JPG (70.65 KiB) Viewed 536 times

a class 68 loco with Mark 2E carriages:
P1010842_red.JPG
P1010842_red.JPG (74.85 KiB) Viewed 536 times

All three are in current service over the bridge.....they should look good! :D

The shells are 3D printed and are finished off in a combination of inkjet decals of my own design and enamel paint. The shells will probably appear in the Talking T Gauge shop over the next few weeks....and will include downloadable generic livery files for modding into real liveries for printing, etc.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:43 pm

The layout survived its outing to Newbury.....but did suffer a few mendable bits of damage.

Its possible that struggling with getting the track sections aligned with the sensor LDRs, I accidentally knocked a head off one of the signals....they're very delicate things. The other possibility is that I thought that this was the one signal that didn't need a travel protector making and screwing onto the board for transit!! Either way, one signal was "headless". :( I need to make a new signal now!

There was also some section edge damage to scenery...a severed tree, a couple of buildings dislodged, etc. This was possibly due either to the carrying distance between van and stand location or simply accidental knocks or poking fingers. Either way, such damage is inevitable...and can be remedied quite easily. You have to be immune to finding damage to your precious layout. ;)

The most serious issue I have to resolve is why one of my DMUs suddenly decided to stop running correctly. Its probably caused by dirt....but I need to resolve in the next week!

Some of the flexitrack has also suffered some more sleeper loss during the insertion process down the 17ft long slot in the bridge sections. This is something the track is not designed for...and is something I need to try and reduce for the next show. The job should really be a two-man job; one pushing and one coaxing the leading edge through misaligned joins in the bridge structure. So far I've had to do it on my own, and I can't see what the leading edge is doing...and if it snags, I don't know if its just binding....or the leading edge has hit an obstacle!!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts