I'm still pushing on with tasks I can do while I patiently wait for a delivery from Australia....which is not due for a week or so!
I've finished designing the wiring schemes for connecting the control system sensors and signals. I will have two eight core data cables connecting (via 8 pin DIN sockets) the two layout sections at each end of the line of sections...that's two at each end! I've made up the cables that daisy chain the sensor and signal bus's separately across the back of the board.
I've drilled holes for four of the eight DIN sockets for the above cables. I've also finished the rewiring of the power distribution circuit. There are now four separately powered track sections. I just need to fit the wires to the control board.
I've finished (to a point ready to install) the eight signals; three red/green for the platform ends (NB the fourth, if made & fitted wouldn't be seen as its behind the scenes), three amber/green for platform approaches (fourth off-layout as above) and two wrong line operation junction signals that will show permanently red. I still have to finalise how they will be mounted, though.
On the subject of mounting....I've had to order an extra long 5mm dia drill bit so I can drill down from the rail bed height down to the underside of the layout to facilitate the connecting wires for the sensor and signals. Unfortunately, I don't have the same technology that Eurotunnel had....and daren't drill from both ends with a normal length bit and hope the holes meet half way!
And, as there will be voids, I need to line the bored holes....so I have some 5mm plastic drinking straws also on order to act as liners!
Finally....having to have three running trains, I'm part way through producing a two-car class 158....which will also be in Scotrail's saltire livery to go with the class 170 I have already. If I get chance, I'll also knock up a class 68 loco and six Mk 2 coaches to complement the DMUs.