•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridge

Postby dkightley » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:03 pm

So I can easily find it, I'm posting my list of things to do on the layout for the 2017 season. I'll update the list as I find new things and when I complete them:

Repairs:
1) Replace catches holding layout sections together & secure location dowels
2) Replace cantilever location bosses that have come loose
3) Resolve cantilever alignment issue
4) Resolve issues with damage to ends of track on lift-out sections
5) Resolve issues with backdrop transfer adhesion
6) Check & replace any distorted or damaged flexitrack
7) Check scenery components & re-glue loose items, etc.

Enhancements & Improvements:
1) Install automation, including micro controller & all additional wiring,etc
.1a) Plan location of sections, track breaks, sensors & future locations of lights
.1b) Plan wiring scheme for power circuit
.1c) Plan wiring scheme for sensors & signalling
.1c) Cut track on lift out track sections
.1d) Add power feeds to lift out track sections for central track area
.1e) Modify power wiring on run around sections (excluding connectors to cpu)
.1f) Build signal/sensor wiring looms & install sockets
.1g) Install sensors
.1h) install power supply connector & cable
.1i) Build signals
.1j) Install signals
.1k) Install controller unit & panel
.1l) Commission & test
.1m) Protect signal wiring underneath boards.
.1n) Fill air gaps where track cuts have been made to prevent shorts
.1o) Make transport protection pieces for venerable signals
2) Identify viaduct supports for easier assembly
3) Improve lighting cable fixing to stand frame - deferred to post- Newbury
4) Modify transport frame to make fitting layout sections easier
5) Create addn trains in appropriate livery (current day) (Class 68 loco & Mk2 coaches)

Item 1 in the enhancements list is the big one. I'll document it separately in case others will benefit from the information.....

As I complete items, I'll' mark them by changing the text colour to orange

Last update of list on 07/02/2017
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Today I found out one of the reasons I've been having issues with joining the layout boards together and getting the bridge sections to align correctly.

The latches joining some of the sections had become bent due to them being tighter than usual and giving way under the extra tension being placed on them by something rather unusual......the foam sheeting I used for the ground surface has expanded by a few percentage over time!!

This caused the joint between the end sections and the second section in from either end to bow, lifting the joint upwards, out of alignment. This then moved the ends of the viaducts out of position.....causing the whole bridge to slightly concertina, moving all of the joints out of position! This all now seems to explain why I had great problems getting the flexi-track to slide through the slots in the bridge deck when assembling the layout at Warley.

I've skimmed some of the foam off each side of the two affected joints and fitted the new latches....and all I need to do now is check the bridge and viaducts are now correctly aligned.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm making good progress on the installation preparations for the automation module......which is currently being built in Australia!

I've started creating shells for a class 158 two-car DMU set that will be in Scotrail's saltire livery. This will give me two of the current sets that regularly cross the Forth. I'm still thinking about what to have for the third train.

I've also purchased a stock of SMT LEDs in red, amber and green ready for building the signals I'll need.

So....things are progressing well. The next tricky job is running power in a groove on the underside of the drop-in track sections.......
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Thought I'd show some photos of some of the changes I'm making for the automation.....

Firstly I needed to get separate power connections to one rail of each track at each end of the bridge....in fact to this point...and the same at the other end:
Img_2836A_red.jpg
Img_2836A_red.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 730 times

The double track from this point to where it disappears off the layout is in fact on a lift out strip of plywood, so I cut a groove out of the underside of the strip and laid cables in the groove:
IMG_3027_red.JPG
IMG_3027_red.JPG (70.53 KiB) Viewed 730 times

...and then ran the wires round the end to brass track connector pieces from track connectors. Here's the top view:
IMG_3026_red.JPG
IMG_3026_red.JPG (62.57 KiB) Viewed 730 times

The sensors for detecting train movements are located underneath the track. Here's a shot of where a sensor will fit...from below:
IMG_3028_red.JPG
IMG_3028_red.JPG (51.58 KiB) Viewed 730 times

...and above. Note they'll be almost impossible to see!:
IMG_3029_red.JPG
IMG_3029_red.JPG (60.44 KiB) Viewed 730 times

And finally for this post, I've made a start on creating the signals. Here's the first signal...one of the two wrong line working signals that will be constant red that are at the platform ends. It has no base yet, but will be planted trackside at the end of the platform. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy:
IMG_3031_red.JPG
IMG_3031_red.JPG (51.89 KiB) Viewed 730 times

And here it is lit:
IMG_3043_red.JPG
IMG_3043_red.JPG (62.46 KiB) Viewed 730 times

The signal post is brass microbore tubing which can take three wires down the bore! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm still pushing on with tasks I can do while I patiently wait for a delivery from Australia....which is not due for a week or so!

I've finished designing the wiring schemes for connecting the control system sensors and signals. I will have two eight core data cables connecting (via 8 pin DIN sockets) the two layout sections at each end of the line of sections...that's two at each end! I've made up the cables that daisy chain the sensor and signal bus's separately across the back of the board.

I've drilled holes for four of the eight DIN sockets for the above cables. I've also finished the rewiring of the power distribution circuit. There are now four separately powered track sections. I just need to fit the wires to the control board.

I've finished (to a point ready to install) the eight signals; three red/green for the platform ends (NB the fourth, if made & fitted wouldn't be seen as its behind the scenes), three amber/green for platform approaches (fourth off-layout as above) and two wrong line operation junction signals that will show permanently red. I still have to finalise how they will be mounted, though.

On the subject of mounting....I've had to order an extra long 5mm dia drill bit so I can drill down from the rail bed height down to the underside of the layout to facilitate the connecting wires for the sensor and signals. Unfortunately, I don't have the same technology that Eurotunnel had....and daren't drill from both ends with a normal length bit and hope the holes meet half way! :shock: :? :shock: And, as there will be voids, I need to line the bored holes....so I have some 5mm plastic drinking straws also on order to act as liners!

Finally....having to have three running trains, I'm part way through producing a two-car class 158....which will also be in Scotrail's saltire livery to go with the class 170 I have already. If I get chance, I'll also knock up a class 68 loco and six Mk 2 coaches to complement the DMUs.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 am

I've moved on a little with the signals...

The long 5mm drill arrived okay, but the straws I ordered turned out to be useless. They were sold as 5mm diam......but were 6.5mm OD and 4.5mm bore!!...and useless!

So, in desperation, I tried 3D printing a tube 5mm diam x 100mm long using a mode in the slicer software called "vase mode", which essentially extrudes a single filament thickness around the perimeter in a continuous spiral. And it worked! I also designed and printed some small half adaptors to fit inside the end of the tube that hold the smaller diameter assembled signal. Here's a couple of shots to illustrate this:
IMG_3058_red.JPG
Signal with heat shrink tube to support the brass tube, a set of inserts and a small piece of veroboard to which the fine wires are soldered
IMG_3058_red.JPG (99.14 KiB) Viewed 662 times
IMG_3049_red.JPG
Signal assembled in the printed tube. This is a two aspect red & green..see the colour-coding on the veroboard!
IMG_3049_red.JPG (56.66 KiB) Viewed 662 times

I drilled holes down through the layout and pressed in the tubes:
IMG_3053_red.JPG
IMG_3053_red.JPG (122.21 KiB) Viewed 662 times

The signal is pushed up from the bottom....and the two-part insert superglued into the tube...and the heat shrink superglued in so it is flush:
IMG_3065_red.JPG
IMG_3065_red.JPG (111.54 KiB) Viewed 662 times

The brass tube is a tight fit inside the heat shrink tube, so I was able to adjust the height of the signal...and ensure it pointed the right way. Some grey paint on the signal post and ground colour....and the signal is ready to be wired up:
P1010812_red.JPG
P1010812_red.JPG (123.56 KiB) Viewed 662 times

The one on the left is a wrong line running signal....which will be permanently red, and the signal on the right is a two aspect red/green to control traffic leaving the station.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm

More installation progress....

Wiring (fairly) neatly installed underneath layout board one, the one that hosts the controller board:
IMG_3069_red.JPG
IMG_3069_red.JPG (81.53 KiB) Viewed 650 times

Detail of the connections to the signals. Note how fine the wires to the signal are when compared to the connecting cables:
IMG_3070_red.JPG
IMG_3070_red.JPG (127.68 KiB) Viewed 650 times
I'll be protecting them with silicone rubber once I have everything working....

Here's the 9 pin DIN sockets for connecting the three other boards to. The hardest thing on assembly will be to ensure I plug all the red marked plugs into the red marked sockets!:
IMG_3072_red.JPG
IMG_3072_red.JPG (92.25 KiB) Viewed 650 times

And I now have layout board one ready for the control board, panel and sensors.....which are in transit from Australia as I type :) :
IMG_3067_red.JPG
IMG_3067_red.JPG (136.96 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:57 pm

As far as the installation of the automation is concerned.....I've now done as much as can do without having the controller board!! 8-) 8-)

All eight of the signals have now been installed; all the wiring looms...for power, sensors and signals......have been assembled, and the connecting leads made up. I've tested the operation of all of the signal aspects..and they all light up when they should when power is applied to the wires that will clip into the connecting blocks on the controller board!

I can now relax a little.....and wait for the Australian and British postal services (and whoever they subcontract to for the bit in between Australia and Britain) to do their job.

I can now start taking a more leisurely look at whatever remains to be done in preparation for the layout's first outing of the season.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm

It's like Christmas day here!!! :D :D Discarded boxes and wrapping paper all over the floor. The automation control board and panel have safely arrived.

Down to work installing it all.......
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby commerlad » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Do you have a list of this years events yet, I still want to see this in the plastic so to speak.
commerlad

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts