Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridge

Postby peterg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Doug

Just a thought to the future when you need to be thinking about how you transport, join adjacent sections for display etc.

I came across these people and they look to have a damned good selection of all those nifty little fittings that i think you might need....especially the board joining /dowelling systems;

Peter Reid at,

Station Rd Baseboards
Station Rd
North Elmham
Dereham
Norfolk
NR20 5HH

Tel: 01362 - 668457

Pete
peterg

Postby dkightley » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Superb heads up on Station Road Baseboards. I've added a link to their website on the suppliers page.

And I've started thinking ahead about the issues of transporting the layout. I'm getting a towbar fitted on my car....and will start keeping an eye out for a decent second hand trailer in a few weeks time.

I think I've settled on the layout board being in 1 metre x 0.6 metre sections with the bridge sections being lift-off for transport. This should allow me to build a frame to support the sections...and to fit a canvas cover onto for the trailer!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Not a great deal to report re progress. Feels like I'm going one step forward and two steps back......or is it two steps forward and one step back??

I had printed viaduct support number five and was removing it from the build plate, when.....
IMG_0998_red.JPG
IMG_0998_red.JPG (44.53 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

I had discovered a deficiency in the slicing utility where intersecting shapes can result in an inadvertent void in the resultant model. In my case leaving one single strand of plastic all the way round one layer..the support easily broke!! :x :x :x I was not a happy bunny!

It took a whole evening to resolve the issue. Now I have to reprint the faulty components.

The tower is also proving a challenge to get the design completed. I fear I'm getting to the extent of 3DC's capability with the complexity of this item....as the program is slowing down rapidly when doing anything. And this is running on a Windows7 powered I5 processor!! Never mind....I'll plough on and be patient in the knowledge the final result will look stunning!!

Ending this post on a bright note. I have a towbar fitted to my car and will be picking up a second hand 3ft x 5ft trailer tomorrow evening.....so I can now start detailing the module sizes for the layout. 100cm x 60cm sections made of 4mm ply topped boards supported on 50mm x 25mm frames and similar sized backing boards I think.....
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby tjejojyj » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:38 am

This might be a dumb question but does that mean the viaduct pylons are solid all the way up, or down? I have read that it is better with 3D printing to take advantage of hidden voids to minimise the amount of material required.
Couldn't you just "break" the other ones at the same point then a glue them back with some araldite (etc.)? I'm guessing this should be as strong as a reprinted item.
tjejojyj

Postby martink » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:25 am

Another set of possibly dumb questions, but have you considered deliberately making the pillar hollow and inserting something to reinforce it - a length of timber or metal bar perhaps? One a similar note, have you tested one of your bridge girders to destruction, and is it worth thinking about allowing for reinforcement here? What is the total estimated weight of each section of the bridge, and have you made sure that the pillars (and girders) will support both that and any forces that are likely to be applied during construction, transport, track cleaning, etc.? How much stress gets applied to both pillar and girder at the point where they touch, and can they handle the load? Better to figure all that out now than later...
martink

Postby dkightley » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm

I have read that it is better with 3D printing to take advantage of hidden voids to minimise the amount of material required.

One of the features of printing with the extrusion method is the ability to reduce the use of material by automatically creating voids inside a solid object. The slicer code creates a spiders web support inside the object. You specify the number of layers required around the "shell" and the percentage fill required...and the code does the rest. If I'd used clear PLA, then you'd be able to see the internal webbing.

...have you considered deliberately making the pillar hollow and inserting something to reinforce it.

That would make the shape more complicated and increase the risk of a print error or failure. Apart from that, PLA is a rigid and strong material. My issue has been with what the slicer program....the code that converts the 3D shape into slices...and how it deals with overlapping shapes. I've cured the problem with the support by simply merging the two parts of the support together before exporting to print. What took time was finding the simple solution!!

One a similar note, have you tested one of your bridge girders to destruction?

PLA is a strong material when printed at a temperature that ensure adhesion between layers. Its a world away from the sintered types of printed components. One of the hollow girders I've already printed has got to be as strong as a pencil! So I have good confidence in the bridge holding together.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 pm

I know its a common thing to pose anything T gauge with a coin to give an indication of the scale.

Well over the past months, I've been keeping my eye out for one particular coin.........and I've managed to get one! :D :D
Img_1003_red.jpg
Img_1003_red.jpg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 3308 times

I think it might make a few appearances over the following months. ;)
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby martink » Tue May 13, 2014 8:00 am

You might be interested in some of the pics on this N gauge thread from a recent model railway exhibition in Scotland...

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=21437
martink

Postby dkightley » Fri May 23, 2014 9:22 pm

I've been quiet for a couple of weeks....but not idle!!

The number of printed components is rising. Here's the collection of items so far for the lead-in viaducts alone:
Img_1022_red.jpg
Img_1022_red.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 3186 times

Back row, left to right..Queensferry end tower with mounting block, Inverkeithing end tower, five of the seven water standing viaduct supports for the Queensferry viaduct and all seven mounting blocks, the eight and ninth viaduct supports for the Queensferry viaduct.

Front row, left to right, two of the fifteen rail deck sections for the viaducts, ten for the Queensferry end and five for the Inverkeithing end, and eight of the viaduct girder sections.

I'm currently working on the short arched sections at the extreme ends of the bridge structure.

Once complete, the viaduct sections will be assembled in their entirety and will be a push fit onto the mounting blocks which will be affixed to the baseboard. The plan is then for the tracks to be slid in from one end of the whole structure. Lets see how the plan unfolds ;)
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sat May 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Zooming off on a totally different tangent, I've started thinking about the next stage in the design of the layout board.

To recap, I have a set of six aluminium tables 1000mm x 600mm, and one 2000mm x 600mm. Lining them end to end gives my basic size of 8000mm x 600mm. Thus. I'll have 8 boards that clip together allowing the bridge and track between the bridge ends up to and including Dalmery/North Queensferry stations to be modelled. The track then disappears through angles backboards...where there will be a loop with a couple of clever lift-out sidings (if I can get them to work!).

So I could get an idea of what space I had to play with at the ends....and to help with accurate scenery locations, I located a suitably detailed map on the National Library of Scotland website and cut and pasted appropriate sections into a file (within the conditions of use, of course!!) and then resized and printed onto multiple A4 sheets. Having selotaped a line of 26 A4 sheets together, I had an idea if it would fit...and it does!! Though I must admit to being somewhat surprised at my first view of how big the layout will be. Here's most of it laid out on the floor!:
Img_1025_red.jpg
Img_1025_red.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

Note the two end towers and a bit of girderwork laid on its side!

And here's a basic track layout for the loops:
Img_1026_red.jpg
Img_1026_red.jpg (65.47 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts