•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridge

Postby dkightley » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Very enjoyable show.

Various cantilever sections re-glued during assembly and also a number of track joints replaced as they had become loose, etc. Joints at north end of bridge both needed replacing after all track assembled....took time to replace as no slack. Also, south drop-in track ply section did not seat correctly. Had to superglue in two spots to force placement.

Classes 158 & 170 DMUs & Class 68 with two Mk2s ran mostly flawlessly over two days. Class 68 developed growl on first day....traced to gearbox top cover being loose, allowing gears to bounce around. Rear bogie on trailing car on Class 170 kept derailing in south run-around loop during second day's running.....cause not discovered. Class 158 ran flawlessly throughout both days.....but one wheelset replaced with spare as precaution due to magnetic tyre on one wheel starting to break up at edge.

Only damage noted on breakdown is glued joint on north viaduct partial ungluing....need to re-glue before Bristol.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby vinceherman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Thank you for the debriefing after the shows.
You experience the maintenance needs at a much higher rate. Knowing what to expect gives us a better change to be prepared.
Vince Herman
Strongsville Ohio USA
Mostly Z but starting TGauge
vinceherman

Postby dkightley » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Thank you for the debriefing after the shows.

I'm doing so for two purposes....to remind myself and for what you say...passing on my experience to others.

In prep for Bristol, on cleaning power unit wheels, I found one of the wheel tyres on the power bogie of the Class 159 was loose. This may explain the occasional micro-stuttering of the DMU I noticed on a particular spot near the end of the second day where other units were okay!. Wheel changed with spare.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon May 01, 2017 12:22 pm

In the midst of clearing up after returning from the Bristol show.....a very good weekend at a good show.

The layout (as far as I have seen so far) has suffered no damage apart from a couple of caisson feet coming unglued...which is easy to resolve! As with all shows, the reaction from the public and traders/exhibitors was of amazement having seen T for the first time.....however I'm getting more and more who have seen the gauge and/or layout before.

And I've added to the collection of silverware....The layout was awarded the trophy for "Best scenery on a layout". This brings the award tally to five!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Its been just over a month since I last posted...and do I have something good to report????

As well as being in the middle of preparation for the next couple of shows......Chesterfield Railway Modellers show at Bakewell Sat/Sun this coming weekend 10th/11th June and the GCR Model Event at Quorn, Leicestershire the following Fri/Sat/Sun 16th/17th/18th June.....I have just spent a pleasant couple of hours being interviewed by Andy McVittie, the editor of British Railway Modeller magazine....who will be featuring The Bridge and another Scottish layout (sorry, can't remember the name :oops: ) in a four-page spread targeted to be in one of the issues in the next couple of months. :) :)

This should expand the exposure of T Gauge somewhat...and may even lead to The Bridge appearing at one or two more shows.

As the visit to Quorn marks the first anniversary of the layout, I'm thinking of putting on a little bit of a celebration display........a little bit of patting yourself on the back can't do any harm! Can it? ;) ;)
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Back from a fairly busy show at Bakewell......there were a variety of layouts there in the somewhat strangely shaped but perfectly adequate hall at the Agricultural Centre. Glad there were no sheep or cattle in the adjoining cattle market area!! ;)

All rolling stock ran reliably for virtually all of both days.....only a handful of derailments and/or stalls....and minimal track cleaning was needed during either day. There were lots of good comments from the public and other layout operators, etc....and midway through the afternoon I had a pleasant but unexpected surprise - The Bridge was awarded the Best in Show award!! :D :D :D
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby zdrada69 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am

Congratulations. This layout deserves awards !
zdrada69

Postby rvn2001 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 am

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Doug
Thom Welsch
rvn2001

Postby dkightley » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks, guys......

And here's the spoils of the layout's first year:
IMG_3212_red.JPG
IMG_3212_red.JPG (100.87 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Twelve months......ten shows......six trophies.

The Elizabethan Railway Society Best in Show 2017 - visitor ballot

"The Elizabethan" 2017 - presented by Barry & Gillian Stevenson

Model Rail Scotland Non-Association Winner 2017

Model Rail Scotland Overall Winner 2017

The Ted Cooper Memorial Trophy - Scenery Award 2017 (Bristol Model Railway Society)

The Harold Woodhouse Memorial Trophy - Best Layout 2017 (Chesterfield Railway Modellers)

Edit: Photo updated with shot from stand at GCR
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 pm

The GCR weekend was hot!!!....hot!!!...hot!!.....very hot! :oops: :oops: :oops:

But despite the weather being totally hostile to being inside a large marquee, it was a good show.......but! Being inside a large marquee gave me a couple of running issues. Firstly, I hadn't banked on the ambient light level being so bright! Three of the under-track sensors did not function reliably when the sun was out - which was virtually all the time! Consequently, the automated train control did not work.....and I had to resort to running a single train round the layout. Secondly, the heat caused some expansion of the bridge, the water surface, and the ply sections on which the track runs. This ....by sheer fluke!....didn't have an effect on the running of the train....but did cause lifting of the south end track insert and the land end of the south viaduct. The bridge structure did expand in excess of the boards by about 1/8th inch, but this was absorbed by an unintentional gap at the end of the stone arch section.

The visitors were a mix of "Seen the layout before", " Heard of T but never seen it" and "Never heard of T".....and the general consensus was of being impressed with the layout...and many congratulations were given for the layout's first year!!

Despite the heat.....and the high dust level.....the trains ran very reliably....with the very occasional derailment caused by power loss on the run-around curves due to a build up of dirt, etc.

I did have a few issues getting track sections connected together during set-up. I think I now need to do an overhaul of the track cable connectors and joints, the drop-in track sections......and scenery in general. The layout is starting to look a little tired and needs sprucing up a bit!!!! It's a couple of months till the next show.....so now is the time to get this "overhaul" done!!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts