Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridge

Postby martink » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 am

I've been wondering about long-term reliability as well. Your maths seems a little out - I figure 1-2 (real) miles per day given near-continuous running. That is still impressive for any model, and I know OO modellers who are having similar issues. My main concern was actually the bearings on Ozrail's older 4-wheel wagons, but they have held up well - for Sarum, call it 4 shows or about 12 miles.
martink

Postby dkightley » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:38 pm

The Bridge continues it's run of trophy collecting...... :D :D

"Best in Show" at the Falkirk Model Railway Show....as voted by the visitors! Report to follow when I've had chance to recover from the journey back! :|
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby msimister » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Congrats again Doug. I'm sure the new Bridge layout will be as equally rewarded.
msimister

Postby dkightley » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:05 am

Now I've recovered a little from the long weekend, I need to document a few things....

The automation system suffered its first major breakdown that couldn't be sorted out. Two of the LDR sensors failed to trigger their respective inputs into the PCB. One on the North side failed to pass its function test...and on investigation, I wasn't able to trace what the fault could be in the time I had. Whilst I was doing one of the many function tests, I noticed one of the LDR sensors on the South side also stopped working. I ran out of time and had to get the layout runnable with two trains chasing each other...which I managed just in time for when the show opened. I then had to spend the two days.....helped by Jim Rusk, who came over from Glasgow both days to help...stopping the faster train at one end of the layout for a while to create a bigger gap, then setting on its way again.

Both DMUs ran very well most of the time. The 3-car Class 170 did go through a spell where it was stuttering....but an application of track cleaning just in front of it a couple of times allowed sufficient alcohol to be picked up and clean the wheels. The 2-car Class 158 ran well most of the time..but one shell started lifting & catching on the bridge girder work. Blu-tack resolved it!

When I was trying to track down the sensor fault, I killed another signal head....which will need replacing.

No more notes....so I can comment on the show....

The show was well attended....and as expected, there were a fair number of locals who had good knowledge of the bridge and the surrounding area. Three visitors pointed out their houses...one who did the so in Glasgow...and two others. And a young lad pointed out the school he had attended up until this year. All were impressed with the accuracy and level of detail......which was reflected in the voting for the "best in Show" award....which I was told the layout was a clear winner. After the show, I was talking to one of the other layout operators ( who I know from the Tramway Museum) who had picked up two awards himself....and he was told that The Bridge was a close runner up for one of the awards he won.

A very good show...and a nice weekend away. I just need to get the issues sorted for the next show in January.....
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts