Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: My T gauge adventure

Postby NeilM » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:08 am

Matt,

They look very interesting, hope they work out when printed.

I must admit that I had not considered using a power chassis. Do the containers need to be modelled over width to fit over the chassis? I had not measured this - not even having considered it for this type of wagon - so do not know if this is the case or not, but if it is then I would need to redesign my model from scratch to do it this way as the containers I am using are already complete and detailed.

For now I think I will stick with the design I have. I am not sure what the current thinking is as to how many wagons a loco can pull. Does anyone have any advice on this (assuming the container wagon being to be about the size and weight of a coach)? Otherwise I guess I will find this by trail and error if I manage to print and finish enough wagons.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby mattd10 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:58 am

I've modelled them at 5.8mm wide and 6mm high which I believe is slightly distorted but not by an awful lot. They still look about right!

With regards to pulling power, I reckon a loco could pull 4 coaches, maybe 5 at a push, if you double head you could pull a bit more. The HST set has 3 of its 9 powered and most 4 car units available come with 2 power cars but I guess it comes down to what works on your specific layout. If it's flat with large curves you could probably have longer trains.

A few people tend to permanently couple cars together to give combined power pick-up to improve running, although I'm yet to try this myself.
mattd10

Postby NeilM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:10 pm

I have now received my order from Shapeways of cars, canal boats and shipping containers. I have not cleaned and primed anything yet, but all look to have worked well.

I have put the single shipping containers for sale on my shop. I will get the ones I received painted and post a photo on the site, and will also add multi packs to my shop to keep the unit cost down.

Even the Peel P50 that I included in my order has printed well. If I can persuade my camera to focus on something so small then I will add a photo of that as well, just to show what can be done
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:05 am

Slow progress as usual! I was hoping to have images of painted models by now, or at least models in primer, but alas all I have managed to achieve so far with my latest batch from Shapeways is cleaning in white spirits.

These are just some of the models I had printed, and are an interesting mix - at least to me anyway - of models that are detailed and ones that are not. Sometimes a reminder is needed of how little of the detail will be visible when the model is printed (possibly even less after it is painted), but if the detail is not there then the Shapeways rendering of the model can look terrible. An interesting dilemma!

First up is one of my canal boats. This was designed in parts to allow different length boats which differing details to be easily created. This one has no detail for windows etc, so it will be interesting to see how it looks once it is painted.
For T Gauge forum - detail canal boat.jpg
For T Gauge forum - detail canal boat.jpg (35.85 KiB) Viewed 8619 times

Next is a shipping container. This view shows the end detail which took me ages to add. Was it worth it. I guess that will only be apparent once painted. I think this could be one of those situation where some detail is needed as the eye expects it to be there, even though in reality it would actually be too small to see.
For T Gauge forum - Detail Shipping Container.jpg
For T Gauge forum - Detail Shipping Container.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 8619 times

On to road vehicle. First up is an Austin Cambridge. Not really visible in this shot is that the model has the correct shape for the sloping bonnet and rounded tops on the wings. Again, until it is painted I can not tell if this will really show up, but just having a rectangular block for the bonnet/wings did seem wrong.
For T gauge forum - Vehicle Austin Cambridge.jpg
For T gauge forum - Vehicle Austin Cambridge.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 8619 times

Over the Atlantic now for a Dodge Charger. Again this has the detail for the grill and the inset rear window. Will this be painted orange and decals created for a flag for the roof - well I think the chances are high!
For T Gauge forum - Vehicle Dodge Charger.jpg
For T Gauge forum - Vehicle Dodge Charger.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 8619 times

an final on to something smaller. On the left is the Bond bug (well, I needed something to use up some of the orange paint that would be left over from the Charger!). The problem with the Bond Bug is that is is quite a big car, at least in certain company. So just to proved to myself that if could be done, on the right is the Peel P50 - the worlds smallest production car. I think I over did it with the front wheels on this one, they should be really tiny, but I did prove that it could be done.
For T gauge forum - Vehicle Micro Cars.jpg
For T gauge forum - Vehicle Micro Cars.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 8619 times

If anyone does want any of the vehicles made available on Shapeways, as a multi pack to keep the cost down, the just get in touch.

I do have some other vehicles which I did not show, and the next ones that I have in my mind as possible candidates are Bedford OX/OY, 2CV and Edsel, however as usual these may take some time.
Neil

NeilM

Postby mattinair » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Like'n the D. Charger...I've been kit bashing Z scale construction equipment for my T scale layout.......(well trying to anyways)......Hope'n someone will make a dump truck with a "snout" or any truck with a motor up in front.....Tractors (caterpillar and or big wheel)>Forklifts<........Can't believe how you "nailed" the Charger in this tiny scale.....
mattinair

Postby NeilM » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:55 pm

mattinair wrote:Hope'n someone will make a dump truck with a "snout" or any truck with a motor up in front.....Tractors (caterpillar and or big wheel)>Forklifts

Well I never know what I will make next because my wish list changes all the time, so just depends what it is currently when I get to the computer! I think fork lifts would be a bit much to try using 3d printing (although brass etching combined with printing could work) but dump trucks could be possible. Send me a name, or a picture of what you have in mind....you never know!

Just as an illustration of how my list is changing all the time, earlier this week I picked up a OO Oxford DieCast Austin 7 from my local model shop (the once promised since Q1, but only just arrived). Having looked at this model I have decided I must have one of those in T. Therefore, providing I do not get distracted with something else before I can begin, that will be my next road vehicle.
Neil

NeilM

Postby mattinair » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:31 am

I understand "one off" orders are not economically practical.....but here are a couple of pictures anyways.....

old-toy-car-euclid-dump-truck-3-1974074.jpg
(55.62 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

I know next to nothing about the design parameters you're up against...the forks might have to be over sized etc.....always hope'n...for more T stuff
can-stock-photo_csp14786058.jpg
can-stock-photo_csp14786058.jpg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 8547 times
mattinair

Postby mattinair » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:58 am

This dump truck has no snout but it's so huge it might be easier to model in 1/450th scale......(?)
200_Ton_Truck (1)_01.JPG
200_Ton_Truck (1)_01.JPG (122.11 KiB) Viewed 8542 times
mattinair

Postby msimister » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:37 am

Just backtracking a couple of days, are you making your narrow boat available Neil? Once you have the bow and stern done the bit in the middle is pretty much the same whatever the length.
Cheers,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby mattinair » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:54 am

Really like this dump truck.... :)
old-toy-car-euclid-dump-truck-3-1974074_01.JPG
old-toy-car-euclid-dump-truck-3-1974074_01.JPG (84.05 KiB) Viewed 8539 times

Sorry 4 B'n sucha pest....
mattinair

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts