Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: My T gauge adventure

Postby mattinair » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:06 pm

I really want some of those "tardis" police call-boxes.....I'll be checking your Shapeways site in the future.....love the stuff I've gotten from you so far.
mattinair

Postby NeilM » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:55 pm

I am away for a few days now, so will probably not get anything done for a while. I had hoped to be further on than I am, but what is new! I did manage to find the 90% complete Land Rover ambulance that I thought I had lost on my missing USB stick, so at least I can pick that back up.

So, I now have several items visible in my Shapeways shop, but not yet for sale as they are not complete - just loaded to ensure they are printable before I continue detailing. In this category are the police call box [tardis] (needs windows), Land Rover ambulance (needs curved part of the roof and windows), AA Box (needs printing to determine if the grooves at the corners - to help painting the yellow corners - are actually useful or not). My station building is probably complete, but I want to do a test print to check it.

Back in the real world I ordered a 16m chassis for Alan and this has now arrived. Not had any time to do anything with it as yet, but it is destined to go under a boxcar box designed by Jesse specifically to fit on this chassis. I will upload some photos when it is done, but I suppose that doing that will just commit me to more computer time to design a locomotive to be pushed by the powered boxcar!
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby NeilM » Fri May 01, 2015 3:04 pm

I have not added any updates for a while, so thought it was about time I did.

First photo is not one of my designs. This is the powered boxcar from Jesse, I have had this for some time, but only recently got the correct length chassis to complete it.
For those who know their US railroads it will be obvious that I am finishing this as a Soo Line boxcar. This is an easy livery to do as the doors are separate to the body (to allow a choice of door styles) so can be painted before being attached. Also this car has black lettering on the white background, so does not need a fully body side decal as do boxcars with white lettering on a dark background. I do have some decal paper, but have not got round to trying it as yet.
For T Gauge Forum - Powered Boxcar.jpg
For T Gauge Forum - Powered Boxcar.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 9409 times

Nothing new on my own 3d printing designs as yet, but I do have a collection of test prints which I plan to send an order for this afternoon, including AA box, Police Call Box, Land Rover Ambulance, Station Building and a shipping container.
For T Gauge Forum - Police Call Box.jpg
For T Gauge Forum - Police Call Box.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 9409 times

I still have other plans for 3d designs that I have not got round to yet, as it is so easy to get distracted. I am planning to do a range of narrow boats for a canal basin on my layout (and whilst I am at it a waterline Amphicar to add variety..., and a waterline DUKW just because I can...., and you see how easily I manage to distract myself).

Also, if the shipping container test print looks OK (currently just a centre section of a container) then I will create 20', 30' and 40' containers, and also road trailers for them. Also probably some stacked containers, as this may be easier than printing individual ones and then trying to stack them.

Will keep you updated as to how the current lot of test prints do.
Neil

NeilM

Postby Jmyrick » Sat May 09, 2015 2:43 am

Oh man things are look great! Keep up the good work!
Jmyrick

Postby NeilM » Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 pm

I have now got my latest batch of prints back from Shapeways. This was a combination of items within a single file to keep down the cost of printing.

These were all as successful as expected (some were just test prints rather than complete models).

The image below is of a Police call box and an AA box - cleaned in white spirits but not yet painted. I have added both to my shop. Note that the Police call box as sold has a piece of sprue from the base, not shown in the photo, which can be used to hold the model for painting. This model is available singly or a group of 4. The AA box is currently only available singly, but if anyone wants a multi pack then just ask.

For T gauge forum - Police Box and AA Box.jpg
For T gauge forum - Police Box and AA Box.jpg (151.82 KiB) Viewed 9301 times

The other models in my test print batch were;

Station - Printed OK, so less excuse now for me to not get started on my layout.

Land Rover long wheel base - Printed OK. Plan to paint this in BR livery.

Land Rover Ambulance - Again printed OK. This is distinct enough from my other Land Rovers that you can actually see the difference in T scale! I also scaled this up to 1/285 scale for 6mm wargamming, which also seems to have worked well - at least it is big enough to see for painting!

Car Test - A test of 'car parts', a mismash of Austin, Mustang and open top Kubelwagen ! Worked well, with the from end looking very realistically Austin, so expect to see an A60 soon.

Container test - Again was just a test piece but work well. Plans now are for 20', 30'; and 40' containers, singly and stacked, and also skeleton road trailers. As the latter would be quite fragile I plan to create them only with an attached container. Perhaps UK and US trucks to pull them may follow? Also the tractors (do not know the correct name) that are used to pull these round container yards.

Canal boat / Post box, Telephone box - Did not add any of these to the test, but plan to do so quite soon. Once I have a post box and telephone box then I will put these in a detail pack with the police box and AA box to make them more cost effective to print.

UK style 4 wheel wagons - These seem to have been forgotten in the excitement! This must change, as they were the real reason for playing with Google Sketchup in the first place, so will try and get on with these.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 am

Does anybody else find that the smaller the layout is the more planning it seems to take? In the past when I have built large layouts I just came up with a basic plan and got on with it, but when trying a small shunting layout I would try and get all the details planned before making a start, The worst case being a 009 layout with just one point and two sidings.

Well, my T gauge test track seems to be falling into this trap. Just a loop of track, split into two with a backscene, with half modelled as Great Britain and half as the USA to practice different scenic techniques in T. The USA side was going to be remote Rockies type scenery, but now I feel I must add a highway and a diner, or other excuse for a car park, to display the road vehicles I have planned.

The only other thing that is holding me up at the moment is that I am going to try soldering power leads to a couple of spare pieces of set track. I already have the power connection track to connect the layout, but in other scales I learned not to rely too much on the regular rail joiners by ensuring regular power feeds rather than just the minimum needed according to the track diagram. I will update you on whether this works out, or if I just end up wrecking perfectly good track sections!

I have also just bought a new camera, and to test the macro facilty on this I have been photographing the 3d printed items I am currently painting. These look to be OK on the camera screen and I will get them on the site within the next couple of days.
Neil

NeilM

Postby mattinair » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:13 pm

I got your call boxes>they're great (little station also)<I looked at Goog images of call boxes and the color question is a bit vexing>blue or purple? :P ......I know it would be really hard to do but excavating equipment and farm equipment would be neat.....I kit bashed pieces of Z stuff to make some road work equipment>right now I'm messing about with a scenery piece with some dairy farm stuff on it>I'm thinking that a tractor, hay mower, hay baler and hay hauler would look good in the scene>manure spreaders etc.
mattinair

Postby dkightley » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:02 pm

....the color question is a bit vexing>blue or purple?

Most definitely blue!:
http://www.the-telephone-box.co.uk/kiosks/tardis/

Unless you're depicting Glasgow and you could consider red!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby jerrybigcat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:07 pm

mattinair wrote:I got your call boxes>they're great (little station also)<I looked at Goog images of call boxes and the color question is a bit vexing>blue or purple? :P ......I know it would be really hard to do but excavating equipment and farm equipment would be neat.....I kit bashed pieces of Z stuff to make some road work equipment>right now I'm messing about with a scenery piece with some dairy farm stuff on it>I'm thinking that a tractor, hay mower, hay baler and hay hauler would look good in the scene>manure spreaders etc.

Herpa makes construction equipment in 1/450.
jerrybigcat

Postby mattinair » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:31 pm

I just did an advanced search on the Herpa web page.......?.....no luck finding the 1/450 equipment ???.....any part numbers?
mattinair

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts