•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: My T gauge adventure

Postby martink » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:58 pm

NeilM wrote:Also, still running ideas round my head for a PWM controller. Just wondering about using an Arduino. These support PWM within the programming language, although I am not sure if the frequency will be high enough. They are cheap enough to buy, so I may just order one and try it.

Lots of options here - even a simple 555 timer circuit is perfectly adequate. The commercial product is a very low frequency unit - just 100Hz - and much to my surprise that does seem about optimal for these locos. That sort of frequency is dead easy to generate from an Arduino.
martink

Postby NeilM » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for that info, good to know I have a chance of success.

As there are other things I have in mind for an Arduino as well I will get one and give it a try. I already have the circuits and coding in my head for two controllers, one totally digital with push button directions and acceleration/deceleration control, and also one with a traditional analogue input which I may create to work centre off rather than use a direction switch (in the style of the H&M old duette from the 70's if not the 60's that I used for many years across many layouts, and do still own, just to see if I can do it).
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby NeilM » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:31 pm

So, no progress on my layout...but I have managed to compete my Austin 7 model. Amazing how small this does come out - having added a painting handle so that I have a chance of holding it the effect is of far more handle than model.

This was, as usual, a slow triumph over try to add too much detail on a small model v sketchup fighting back. One day I will learn not to add detail that will never be seen because it is too small!

Not a brilliant image. snapped this the screen, and Shapeways does not make a good effort of displaying small models on long sticks.
For Forum - Austin 7 001.jpg
For Forum - Austin 7 001.jpg (4.32 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

I will now create a van bodied version, possibly also an open top tourer version. Once done I will add test prints to my next batch, and if OK make them available on my shop.

This will be at least one vehicle that can be used with steam outline models. I also have a plan for a Bedford OWB coach, hope to try thus at some time, but please do not hold your breath.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:59 pm

There is not much activity at all on the forum at the moment, so to add at least one post....

I have modified my Austin 7 saloon model in sketchup (after having plugged the hole in the bonnet which was still showing in the photo above) to convert it to a van.

Shapeways rendering still does not like 'models on sticks' even after shortening the handle, so tricky to get a view without the roof being missed off.
For T gauge forum - Vehicle Austin 7 Van.jpg
For T gauge forum - Vehicle Austin 7 Van.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 1665 times

This has passed the Shapeways initial tests, so I will add test prints of this and of the saloon to my next batch.

I am also trying some coloured models using Full Colour Sandstone, however these are tricky due to the minimum unsupported wall of 0.3mm, as the boots and bonnets of cars in this scale can be less than that in height so fail the initial checks. Will stick with this and see what I can manage, as I know from other posts that it has been done.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:33 pm

No progress on my layout as yet - unless you count making some pencil marks on the foamboard whilst I work out where the canal is going to go.

I have however found my way back on to the computer and have completed my trio of Austin 7s.

For Forum - Austin 7 Collection.jpg
For Forum - Austin 7 Collection.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

I may try an alternative version for the open top model - removing the windscreen and instead just having a slot in the bodywork. Then once printed, cleaned and painted I could add the screen from a small rectangle of clear plastic. Not sure if this would give a better effect than a fully printed model, but I plan to try both to find out. This will prove the method ready for my Mini Moke, Kubelwagon, Amphicar...........

Just need to get enough of a batch of models ready so that I can put in an order with Shapeways and see how they actually look once printed.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:01 pm

Just realised I had shown my small station building as printed, but had not uploaded a photo after it was painted.

All I need to do now is to complete the layout to put it on......

For Shapeways - Station Building.jpg
For Shapeways - Station Building.jpg (218.76 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

My next Shapeways order will include the Austin 7s in my previous posts (it has been sometime - I was waiting for a free postage offer, but none seems to be coming along so will just have to bite the bullet and get the order in). Also I plan to try some models in full colour sandstone. This is not as detailed as FUD, but if it works out they will not need painting. I am not expecting too much, but going to give it a try anyway.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Again, some time since my last update.

Just a little progress on my layout, with the upper part of the board cut nearer to size ready for assembly (I am using foam board so using a lower and upper board for strength with the lower full size and the upper cut back for cuttings, under bridges, canals etc.). I have just planned out where a canal will got under the railway - it never ceases to amaze me how much I can end up designing (over designing?) a small layout, where on a larger one I would have just got on with building it working things out as I went.

What I have done is placed an order with Shapeways including all the items I had been batching up ready to make a large enough order to balance out the postage charge, and ended up waiting so long that there was eventually a free postage offer.

This order included all my Austin 7 variants, a number of different 4 wheel wagons, a test print of a not yet complete war time bus (cost not much extra to add it to the order even though I could not get it finished - just to see how what I have done so far will actually print). I have also tried some models in full colour sandstone. I have never printed any of these before, and the minimum wall thickness is quite limiting for T, but thought I would give some a try anyway.

It will be a while yet before I get anything back, but will provide an update on what worked and what did not once I do.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:08 pm

I did get my last order from Shapeways, but then I was away on holiday so did not have any time to do anything with it.

I have tried to photograph what I ordered, but the small pieces do seem to be challenging my camera. I will stick at it and try and get some decent photos as what I have got looks to have worked.

The 4 wheel wagons look good - but I just need to remember where I have put my stock of wheels so that I can check them. However now that there looks to be a usable coupler on the horizon I may need to redesign them anyway to be able to use it! All we need now are usable points and we will be there.

The pre coloured items using Full Colour Sandstone worked to a point. I think T scale is at the limit of what can be printed. I could not find specifications for how accurate the printing would be so just decided to try it anyway. Some of my cars have windows printed and others do not. However so long as they are not displayed too close to the foreground I think they will be up to the job. I also added red telephone boxes to this order, again these are on the edge of what will print, but the effect should still be there, and lets face it if I had designed them so I could piant them then they would have just been all over red at that size.

The Austin 7s look good, with all of the details have worked out from design to print, so just need to clean and paint these. These are the one that were really testing my camera, but hopefully when painted they should photograph better.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:23 am

These photos have been on my camera ages waiting to be downloaded. Although I have started painting some of these models now, I thought it best to show what I have rather than waiting for me to complete them and get round to photographing/downloading etc all over again.

These are just a few of the models from my latest batch to Shapeways, so more photos to come later

Firstly 3 of my Austin 7 models. Show here are uncleaned prints as delivered, so they will still have some of the wax on them used in the printing process, so not as clean here as they are now that I have cleaned them. This shows the open top, saloon and van. Also shown is my Land Rover ambulance, which I have included to give a sense of scale as to just how small these models are.

For Forum - Austin 7 002.jpg
For Forum - Austin 7 002.jpg (254.75 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

This image is of a different idea that I had tried. For this model I did not clreate the screen as part of the print, but instead have left just a slot in the model so that I can add a screen cut from clear plastic sheet. I have not yet had chance to test if this will work. Because the print did not include any 'glazing' I have cleaned this one in white spirits, which turns the print white. This does allow the interior detail to show. Yes, seats inside a convertible in 1/450 scale! Well, it seemed worth a try, and does look to have worked out.

For Forum - Austin 7 003.jpg
For Forum - Austin 7 003.jpg (111.02 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

This last one of the current images was just me including an incomplete model with the batch for printing as it only added a few pence to the cost. There was no chance of me finishing this model before the offer date fro free postage expired, but it seemed worth printing what I had just to see how it would actually turn out - which looks to be OK.
The model by the way is a Bedford OWB bus, dating from the time of WW2. Just need to complete the front end and add some wheels.

For Forum - Bedford OWB 001.jpg
For Forum - Bedford OWB 001.jpg (102.81 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

I will post other images later of my 4 wheel British rolling stock, and also my pre-coloured cars and British red telephone box.
Neil

NeilM

Postby Nutter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Interesting all you need now is the steam rolling stock
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts