Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: BORDERLINE

Postby peterg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks the input Doug, you have probably saved me some unnecessary preparation work.....now if only that papier mache would dry !!
peterg

Postby peterg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:04 am

A quick update on progress now that the papier mache has dried.................I know it can be a bit boring without photo's but i promise to try and get a whole bunch loaded when the project is finished..(only a few weeks i hope).

I have painted and prepared the river bed and lake ready to receive the watery stuff. The lake is fed by a river running through a canyon and is flanked by a cliff face down one side. There is a rockfall at one end of the lake and boulders that have been carried down by the river. In the middle of the lake is an island a bit overgrown but great for the kids to camp on!

There are quite a few rock outcrops and cliff faces around the layout and it has been interesting sorting out colours and methods to paint them....not surprisingly greys, blacks and a bit of green dominate.
Time for a chuckle as i see it coming together and although it's my first attempt i have to say i am well pleased, so far!
At some point during the week i made the final decision that one side of the layout would comprise of a short stretch of canal with a marina. I have therefore just completed balsa 1:450 (approx') models of a narrow boat, a pub and a chandlers store. I still need about 4 or 5 more narrow boats and a canal bridge so the punters can get to the pub and marina.
To round up this session i had a play with foliage clumps and sprinkle grass and boy has it brought things to life.
Thanks for reading and happy projects all round.
peterg

Postby peterg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:54 am

HELP !

Have just ruined the lake water on my layout.
I used Woodland Scenics - Realistic Water, poured onto a painted plaster cloth bed....trouble iis that i had sealed the bed with a coating of white PVA allowed to dry and harden perfectly clear.
It seems that the Realistic Water has reacted with the PVA and after 10 hours is drying to a cracked ice type whitish finish. I am gutted as the lake was looking fantastic prior to this. I just had it in mind that i should seal the bed with the PVA and i was obviously wrong.

Question is; Has anybody else else experienced anything similar and if so is it repairable ??

I intend leaving it for at least another 24 hours and trialling a sample area by repainting on top of the water and hoping that the paint will take so i can pour another thin layer of the water on top. But any other ideas are very welcome.
What a way to finish 5 hard weeks work!
peterg

Postby ConnorL » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:07 pm

This had happened to me,

What happens is the PVA became back to liquid state from solid state making the lake white. The cracking is from putting too much water at once. This is what happened to me during the first time.

What you need to do is make sure that the surface of the area you are going to apply is dry/anything that can't turn back to liquid state.

Apply water extremely thin every time (1mm -ish) and let them dry, this prevents them from shrinking too much creating cracks or valley.

People please let me know if I said anything wrong.
ConnorL

Postby peterg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:46 pm

What you said makes sense Connor.
What happens to the cracks when you add more water ?
peterg

Postby ConnorL » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:18 am

It'll fill up the cracks, but after it dries...there will be less crack that is visible...then add more till it evens out.
ConnorL

Postby peterg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey Connor

A very late response from me but i did exactly as you described......adding very thin layers and filling the cracks.
Thankfully it worked well enough that it is now acceptable and i do not have to dig it out and start over.
peterg

Postby peterg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Two days ago i finished my layout apart from ballasting.
Gave everything a good cleaning and happily ran the train for a while starting with 2 locos then 2 locos and the restaurant car (the idea being to give everything a good run in) and finally all motor units and cars making a 9 unit train.
The full train ran ok for a few laps then started de-railing....checked and chopped back line side foliage with same result so gave up and ran the 3 motorised units for about 15 minutes.....must say i was able to run them very slowly and smooth.

Yesterday;
Ballasted the track using the recommended tool which did make it very easy to do. Set the ballast with syringe injected diluted PVA as recommended and left for 24 hours to dry thoroughly. The ballast is pot hard and going nowhere!
Today, as i suspected would happen, the train will not run now. Have tried cleaning a short stretch of track but it still runs badly and jerkily.
Checked wheels under a magnifying glass and WHOA, dirty and black .....not all over but enough to cause at least some of the trouble i would think.

I have a wheel cleaner and will give that a try when next in the mood cos right now i am a bit fed up. In short i did not expect that i would have to spend as much if not more time attending to cleanliness than enjoying the running of the train.

DO OTHER MEMBERS HAVE THIS PROBLEM ?
If so then i unfortunately see why T Gauge is so slow to take off.
Don't get me wrong, i love it and i am really chuffed with my set up but this has really knocked the edge of the enjoyment for me.
peterg

Postby martink » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:49 pm

Well Peter, a big part is probably just the aftermath of the ballasting. That happens in any scale, not just T. You need to very, very carefully go over the whole layout looking for any tiny bit of ballast fouling the track. Try running your fingernail down the inside of each rail - anything that you can feel this way needs to be removed.

As to the full HST set derailing, that happened to me too at first. I found that the issue here is how you couple the coaches together. If the couplers are not aligned properly, both vertically and horizontally, they will tend to lift bogies off the track. After coupling up the train, I use a pair of fine tweezers to gently squeeze each pair of couplers squarely together (a bit fiddly since the HST cars are close coupled).

T is certainly more sensitive to dirt than larger scales, but I haven't done enough running yet to really get a handle on it. Once again, part of the problem will be the aftermath of layout construction - the wheels will be picking up all sorts of gunk that has gradually accumulated, and it will probably take you a few running/cleaning cycles to get rid of the backlog. With any scale, running regularly and frequently helps. I am an operator on a friend's large OO layout, and the track stays acceptably clean as long as we run every week. Skip just one week however, and you've got half a dozen people scrubbing away with track cleaners! The other thing I have noticed with T is the motor units' tendency to collect fluff. Before cleaning the wheels, use a pair of fine tweezers and a good magnifier to pick out all the hair and threads that have wrapped themselves around the wheels and axles.
martink

Postby peterg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for that Martin, i'm sure you are right.
I just hope that i have not got a layer of PVA (and possiblt too much ballast) along the inside of the rails.
peterg

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts