•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: Sarum Bridge

Postby Jmyrick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 am

Incredible!
Jmyrick

Postby ivanf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 pm

what doug said! :)

hope the exhibition goes well.

any plans for another video? I enjoyed the last one a lot.
ivanf

Postby martink » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:19 am

The first day of the exhibition is over, and the layout performed well and always had a full crew of viewers. For what it is worth, Orbost is there and looking good as well - two T gauge layouts!

I do intend to make another video and update the article on my website as soon as the exhibition is over - the video should be pretty much a remake of the last but of the layout in its new guise, hopefully with improved camera technique too.

The stock is standing up well to heavy use, but I am glad I whipped up a quick and dirty 3-car class 101 as a spare train the night before. I found a suitable image on the web, turned it into a carefully-sized DIY roof-and-sides overlay with Paint and Gimp, printed it out on plain paper, glued it to some spare body shells, and applied a coat of matt varnish.

The usual cruel, cruel closeup...

martink

Postby martink » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:35 pm

The railway survived its first exhibition. Other than a few gremlins with the optical detectors, one pair of locos slipping and an intermittent fault with the roads, it all held up very well. The track was completely trouble-free and needed no cleaning, the locos never stalled (other than the temporary single-motor-unit DMU) and only needed superficial wheel cleaning overnight. Very, very happy.

I've cobbled together a new video (no captions yet). I liked the previous format and plot, so have pretty much repeated it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_5s75-t01A
martink

Postby ivanf » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Pleased to hear things went well. :)

And thanks for the video it's all looking fantastic!
ivanf

Postby hedge » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Fantastic! Loved the bus/car crash. Lent an extra air of verisimilitude. Amazing achievement and should help put T on the map.
hedge

Postby dkightley » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Nice video...and glad the layout proved popular.

Another nail in the "T is a gimmic" coffin!! ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby nscaler69 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:56 pm

For Martink and any others in Australia, 3 photos of Sarum Bridge taken at the recent Caulfield exhibition have been printed in issue 26 of 'Model railways in Australia' magazine.
The first photo has the caption "You like mini mini railways. Well this is mini mini"

Greg M
Adelaide
nscaler69

Postby martink » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 am

It has been a long while since I have posted anything on this thread. Over the last two years the layout has been to a few shows and has had some minor upgrades to the control electronics. My plan was to basically retire the layout and replace it with a new, more ambitious exhibition layout, but alas, work commitments mean that the new one is postponed for at least another year.

So - plan B is give Sarum a minor facelift and let it have another year or two in the limelight.

The first stage of the upgrade is nearly done - a complete revamp of the electronics to finally get low-speed running and station stops up to the standard I want. The new system has been built, tested and (sigh) shipped to Doug for installation on The Bridge. I am now building a duplicate copy for my own use, and that should be ready in a week or two.

The second stage is get one or two new trains into service. With its existing set of three running continuously and full time at every exhibition, they get fairly tired by the end of the show, so having another couple to share the load should help a lot. I have a pile of Ozrail's improved wagons ready for the paint shop, and I hope the new wheel sets will let me run longer goods trains. Still thinking about the other one.

The third stage is to extend the layout by a few inches at the castle end. That has always been the rural backwater end of the layout, with nothing very interesting happening. This stage will add a simple working canal scene, with a couple of narrow boats shuttling back and forth. I can even see how I might implement a working lock, but the effort involved for that part says "not this year".

The fourth stage is to extend the layout a few inches at the town end, and then scrap the existing town and replace it with a much more extensive town scene, with a much more elaborate (working) road network.

The fifth stage will be to build and fit new backscenes. The existing ones were intended to be temporary, but experience shows there is nothing as permanent as a temporary expedient. Still thinking about these.

Anyway, the new stuff should start appearing on this thread piecemeal over the coming months.

First pic... the new control electronics and panel (unit #1, as shipped to Doug):

martink

Postby zdrada69 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Very impressive layout. Congratulations.
zdrada69

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts