•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Sarum Bridge

Postby martink » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum and T gauge. I normally model in N but felt like trying something different, so a few weeks ago bought one of the HST starter sets with a few odds and ends and gave it a try. As a result, I decided to make a small (by N standards) automatic tail-chaser layout in T. After two weeks of hammering, sawing, gluing and swearing, tracklaying is complete and I can now run a train. No automation or scenery yet, and I'll be stuck working on some other projects for a while.

Sarum Bridge is a highly wrapped dogbone layout in a fictitious location somewhere in England. Overall dimensions are 1'8" x 4'8.5" (I like round numbers), with 15m of flexi track (about 4 scale miles). The main focal points are a 900' viaduct and a station with four platform faces. The track is divided into four sections eventually allowing three trains to follow each other around the layout. The automatic stop positions are the four platforms. It is currently wired as a simple oval - just an overgrown train set.

martink

Re: Sarum Bridge

Postby hedge » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Really like the look of this! Will watch progress with much interest.
hedge

Postby martink » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:35 am

A last spurt of progress before pausing for a couple of months. The only thing I expect to do in the next week or two is add more rolling stock - I have some 3D printed loco and wagon shells and suitable chassis on order (thanks, Ozrail). I'll see how they turn out.

And a rough and ready video...

http://youtu.be/zuQ2-VBGIDY
martink

Postby nscaler69 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 am

martink wrote:And a rough and ready video...
http://youtu.be/zuQ2-VBGIDY

Nice video there, I like the continuous single tack idea.
nscaler69

Postby mattd10 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Absolutely superb! This is exactly the effect im going for, albeit on a smaller scale! How are you going to do your automation and detection?

Sent from mobile device
mattd10

Postby martink » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks guys - feedback is always appreciated (especially positive!).

nscaler69 wrote:Nice video there, I like the continuous single tack idea.

A video always brings it to life, and seeing the full HST running at scale speed over a nice long stretch of track is pretty much what encouraged me to build this one. The design was really a toss up between a dogbone or an equivalent length double oval. The main advantages I saw to each were that with the dogbone each train runs over the whole layout rather than just half of it, while with a double oval you get redundancy. However, even in T, those balloon loops still take up a lot of space!

mattd10 wrote:Absolutely superb! This is exactly the effect im going for, albeit on a smaller scale! How are you going to do your automation and detection?

I find I have a marked preference for the highly wrapped lots-of-track style of layout, and T allows a modeller to do things well nigh impossible in larger scales. I have to keep reminding myself that this one is the equivalent of 14' x 5' in N, but even there I try to squeeze in as much as possible. My main N gauge layout also crams as much into not much more space (6 platform terminus, MPD, 4-track main line set up as an out-and-back with auto queuing of up to 5 trains, fully signalled, door-sized layout, still under construction). This T gauge excursion is basically to give me a change of pace before getting back to N.

I've sketched out the rough automation design - it is a straightforward variant of what I am already using in N. Four sections, each with two ambient-light LDR sensors (stop and slow) with sensitivity determined by the relative intensity of all 8 sensors, and two speed control relays (stop, slow, medium and fast) per section. A PIC16F690 to handle the control logic. Three separate 555-timer-based PWM controllers to set the three speeds. Stop positions are the four platforms, so trains will be continually slowing, stopping, starting and accelerating from the station. I've also been fiddling with fibre optics, looking at some sort of working signals - basically R/Y/G searchlights with below-board LEDs, possibly disguised with dummy three aspect heads or even semaphore arms. That part may or may not eventuate, but I'll use a few shift registers on the control board to give me enough outputs to handle 8 relays and 16 LEDs as well as the 8 ADC inputs from a 20 pin chip.
martink

Postby jesse6669 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:21 pm

That is just fantastic Martin. And all in 4x2 feet! Keep us posted after your hiatus.
jesse6669

Postby martink » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

The first batch of rolling stock is complete and rolling (!) - a short rake of OzRail's 4-wheelers, hand-painted in bright primary colours (brown and grey). I am currently plucking up courage to tackle a couple of the loco body shells, and trying to decide between BR blue to match the HST, or my preferred BR early green.

martink

Postby Ozrail » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Looking great Martink, Hope they run smoothly for you.
Just some advice, try and run the freight train with 2 motor units.
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0
Ozrail

Postby martink » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Ozrail wrote:Just some advice, try and run the freight train with 2 motor units.

Yup, I've already figured that one out. When I get a longer train I'll double head it and maybe see about permanently wiring two locos together. Something similar for a future passenger train as well - either using a second HST extension set as a passenger rake or add a powered siphon.

The wagons run surprisingly well given their very light weight, at least after I realized that the coupler springs really weren't helping and decided to leave the couplers sitting loosely. Are there any known longevity issues with the wheel bearings, given the fragility of the 3D plastic?
martink

Next

Return to T Gauge Layouts