•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: Sarum Bridge

Postby Jmyrick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:58 am

NICE!
Jmyrick

Postby martink » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:15 pm

The level crossing is now working. Four el-cheapo $3.00 servos controlled by a dedicated computer equivalent to the new Peco Smart Switch. The gates are clear plastic with the framework scribed on by a screwdriver, painted white then wiped clean. A bit rough, but easily replaced in the future.

A quick video... http://youtu.be/nD_m1co-QWg

The circuit board and ultra-sophisticated mountings for the servos...

The business end being tested with pieces of sticky tape instead of gates. This gets pushed up through 4 holes in the baseboard, then the real gates are super glued into position....

The first attempt at proper gates. As usual with T, they look better at a distance.
martink

Postby mattd10 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 am

Wow! That level crossing is absolutely fantastic!
Are you going to include them in the automation so they open when no trains are coming?

Sent from mobile device
mattd10

Postby martink » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:23 am

mattd10 wrote:Are you going to include them in the automation so they open when no trains are coming?
Yep. Already done. The crossing is on the quietest spot on the line, behind the viaduct. It isn't as visible there as I would have liked, but that is the only place where the trains are far enough apart to give it time to open and close again.
martink

Postby Ozrail » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 pm

That Level crossing is super impressive.
Don't worry about it being in place you would like, think of it as a layout easter egg.
Most layouts have something people ovelook, but a few do notice, even on mine.
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0
Ozrail

Postby martink » Sun May 04, 2014 1:44 pm

That's finally the end of this batch of changes. No more work on the layout for a couple of months. And this time I really mean it. Really! Well, except for another couple of locos... And some fixes to the speed control logic... And some more buildings ...

So, here's a slightly-more-polished-than-my-usual video of the whole kit and kaboodle...

http://youtu.be/dfCoFVD2H_U
martink

Postby mattd10 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:44 pm

WOW! I could sit and watch that all day! The automation is fantastic, changing signals, level crossing...all such great little extras! You don't see details like that on larger scale layouts, let alone in T!

I love the HST whizzing over the viaduct and the mix of trains! The speed changes seem a lot more noticeable with the HST (maybe something to do with the way it was filmed, or the fact it has 3 power cars whereas the freights don't?) but still looks absolutely amazing!

Cannot wait to see it finished and at an exhibition one day!
mattd10

Postby tjejojyj » Mon May 05, 2014 4:11 am

I agree although I'm not sure I could watch it ALL day. (I have looked at it three times & I didn't notice the subtitles the first two times as I was so absorbed in the action and the details even as they stand.)
On one of the early shots the freight train crossing the bridge seems to be noticeably surging. Is that right? And is that just a byproduct of the PWM controller?
tjejojyj

Postby martink » Mon May 05, 2014 6:02 am

Glad you both like the video - it was fun to make and gave the layout its first really good workout. It added up to at least two hours of running, and after some initial problems with wagon couplers, swapping coaches around a bit on the HST, etc., it all ran remarkably well. I consider this a (successful) dry run for a possible exhibition showing later this year.

I haven't tracked down the cause(s) of the speed fluctuations yet. I think I might still have a software problem here, and there also seems to be a hardware one with the controllers. I believe that one is tied up with the overload protection part of the circuit - all the power feeds through a current sense resistor, so as trains (particularly the HST with its three motors and lights) are switched on to and off from that controller the output voltage will vary for the other trains running on that unit. I can see a couple of possible remedies, but I'll leave that for the next stage. I should also be able to reliably run the trains much more slowly when I get around to double-heading all the trains with the locos wired together to give them 4-bogie pickup. Anyway, all of the issues look manageable.

I didn't think to get any shots of what happens when the level crossing didn't trigger properly or one time when my sleeve tripped the cancel sensor prematurely and the gates closed on a goods train passing through! These were the usual minor hiccups that only show up when you run something for real.

BTW, you might not have noticed the subtitles at first because I only added them a couple of hours after initially posting the video on youtube.
martink

Postby tjejojyj » Mon May 05, 2014 7:15 am

I'm glad to hear the sub-titles were added later (I didn't think I was that unobservant). They are a nice touch.

You many know of this already but my only suggestion on the video would be to put more light on the layout when filming. Your camera should "stop-down" in response and give better depth of field. (Personally I wouldn't mind some closeups of the signal going to green and a train departing. :) )
tjejojyj

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts