Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Postby rvn2001 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:53 am

WOW! What a difference from the front to the back. Awfully deceptive.
Thom Welsch
rvn2001

Postby dkightley » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 am

Well....

Today's the day I'm having to put work on Saltash on the back burner for a couple of weeks so I can get The Bridge ready for its final appearance for the time being. I need to tidy up and pack the layout away....but I'm likely to be able to do the odd bit of CAD and printing work.

After the dry assembly of Tamar bridge I spotted that I'd made an error in working out the deck height above the water. Not an issue on its own....but the Tamar bridge ended up out of proportion with the Royal Albert bridge, and looked far too high. So.….adjustments have been made to the CAD files for the bridge towers and the inboard and outboard chassis of the track run-arounds. I've reprinted the bridge towers...but the run-around chassis....4 of them...are the 4 largest 3d-printed parts I've ever produced, and I have two 10 hour and two 14+ hour print sessions to get done!!!

One good thing about having to pack the layout away......it keeps my workshop somewhat tidier that it is now!!! And I get an idea of how the build and pack-up tasks are shaping up....how things pack away, etc.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:06 am

The layout is back out in the workshop...…and I've started in anger on shaping the scenery.

I'd previously cut a piece of insulation foam to an approx. size to form most of the scenery for the West side of the layout. I marked five metre contours on the surface and then , using a sanding drum in a Dremel type tool with a flexible shaft attached, I gouged/sculptured a staircase to the contours. 5m is 11.1mm, 10m is 22.2mm, etc
IMG_3958_red.JPG
IMG_3958_red.JPG (86.83 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

I've sliced the foam into two sections down the centreline of the bridge viaduct and am starting to create the road sections. This shot is just starting to show the contours of the land
IMG_3960_red.JPG
IMG_3960_red.JPG (63.77 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

This phase of the build is one of the messy phases....a good dust collection system is essential. Something I don't have.....I just use a vacuum cleaner to suck the foam dust/shavings on a very regular basis. Hope it survives a second layout!!!!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:24 am

A second layer....or should I say half-thickness layer....stuck on one side of Saltash station, and a lot of sanding and sculpting...
IMG_3962_red.JPG
IMG_3962_red.JPG (94.74 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Its very messy......but good fun. Just not so much fun for the vacuum!! And getting there...….

I have the second layer prepped for the other side of the station.....but gluing is an overnight job, so I'll get that done this evening.

The next job will be to fit the buildings and road sections...once I have all the buildings printed and the draft road sections prepared!

And then there's the other side of the river to do.....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am

Good progress over the past couple of hot days...

West side ground surface ready for the "fitting" of the scenery items (station, houses, and road surfaces):
IMG_3965_red.JPG
IMG_3965_red.JPG (66.69 KiB) Viewed 1884 times

And progress on the east side groundwork:
IMG_3968_red.JPG
IMG_3968_red.JPG (92.83 KiB) Viewed 1884 times

These photos illustrates some of the steps in the process quite well....
* overlay scenery with satellite image drawn up with contour lines...I've used 5m contour lines from an OS map
* stab through with a Sharpie to create dots...see folded back overlay on RHS!
* remove overlay and "join the dots"
* knife/saw/sand out a "staircase" to the contours. Photo shows three "steps" partly done.
* use Sharpie to scribe lines along bottoms of all step uprights. This gives marker lines for the remaining step.
^ sand ground surface to give smooth ground surface....being careful not to completely obliterate the Sharpie lines drawn in the previous step.

And do clear up on a very regular basis. Chuck larger lumps and vacuum up the dust! Here's my second bin-full of waste!
IMG_3969_red.JPG
IMG_3969_red.JPG (50.21 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby Nutter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:44 pm

That scenery work looks like a medical emergency about to happen in my case but keep up the good work :o
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Postby dkightley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:23 pm

Steps removed from the foam....all done by sanding I 'm glad to admit!
IMG_3975_red.JPG
IMG_3975_red.JPG (90.49 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

That foam does smooth off very easily...I've been enjoying working with it!

I took the opportunity to go to a fairly local model show yesterday.....to keep up with the chat..and to look out for any ideas to help with the layout. And I came away with three provisional bookings for the layout..and a couple of bookings for two of the three same shows to demo 3D printing. Could that be as punishment for not having the layout ready early enough, I might ask??

Back to work on the layout today....and I've moved back to some CAD work on the remainder of the buildings. I have to say I'm surprised that there are almost 280 buildings on this layout....there's a lot less area of scenery compared with The Bridge (which has 350 buildings)!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:41 pm

I thought hobbies were meant to be relaxing and enjoyable.....AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry about that. I set one of my printers off on a 16 hour plus print yesterday afternoon...for the second attempt. The first ran out of filament whilst I was out about 15 hours into the print!! And the print was for the layout....a redesign of one of the Tamar bridge runaround chassis, which I had redesigned and needed to reprint.

Looked at the printer first thing this morning....it had finished! Unfortunately, the print was an utter mess!! And the printer had gone into self-destruct mode. A bracket holding a cooling air duct was broken and twisted....and the tip of the nozzle had broken off. That's right.....the tip of the metal nozzle was missing....and the printer had been trying to print with a 1.75 mm diameter nozzle instead of a 0.4 mm nozzle. Not a pretty sight! Like a sausage machine gone berserk!

Anyway....ten hours later and a new cooling duct and bracket fitted (printed on my other printer), a new nozzle fitted, some stripped threads sorted and a general tidy-up of wiring around the head later.....and I think I'm back in action. Or at least I've started printing parts for the first of three orders that have come into the TTG shop in the past day or so!

And progress on the layout? Not very much....half a dozen building CADs done...which are now in the queue for printing!!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:30 am

Five & a half days later......and I'm still stressed!!

3D printer problems continue.... I'm having further problems with my poorly printer! Its now got yet another new nozzle and now has a new throat tube with a second PTFE liner!!! And I'm still struggling to get decent prints out of it!

And I've also lost two or three days due to a slightly longer than expected PC upgrade that had been planned over the weekend....which ended up most inconvenient for other things I've got on! I had several little problems...the worst being that I spent over three hours trying to get the localhost web server up and running on the new PC.....until I finally found a mention that IIS v7.0 does not include 64 bit ODBC drivers, and you have to enable the 32 bit versions. Doh! Why didn't I know that? Locate & set the flag....and it sprung into action! Easy! At least I have a PC that starts up from cold in around 20 seconds....rather than anything between 3 and 6 minutes!!

So....very little progress on the layout. I have done a few hours on the flexi-traverser.....fine tuning the servo linkages and smoothing surfaces and freeing up the moving parts. Once I clear the backlog of shop orders, I should be able to get back into things.....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby martink » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 am

The idea that hobbies are stress-relieving is a very common misconception. Their actual purpose is stress-balancing, since how much you do is under your control, so that you can always maintain a constant amount of stress in your life. After all, if you ever do ever become stress-free, the universe will sense this and take drastic corrective action - very risky!
martink

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Layouts