Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Layouts

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.

Re: The Bridge

Postby dkightley » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 pm

Nice video of The Bridge at its last outing.....

Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby gbtrains » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi Dough

that looks to be running smothly now.
When is the Bridge next out in around the Yorkshire region? :D
Graham
gbtrains

Postby rail450 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi Dough,

which glue and which ballast are you using to get realistic looking track beds ?

BR,

Siegfried
rail450

Postby dkightley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi Seigfried

There's no special trickery involved here.....just the simple fact that if you feed just the right amount of visual information, then the human brain has this feature that it automatically adds a level of detail to what it recognises.....and things look a lot better than they really are!

Believe it or not, I painted a strip of 3-ply wood with brownish acrylic paint and then simply superglued the track on top when the paint was dry.

The end result then gets mixed up amongst the large number of other "low resolution" finishes.....giving the viewer the impression of there being a high level of detail! You just have to then discourage the use of macro lenses!!!

And on the bridge structure itself, the sections of flexitrack simply slot into shallow matt black painted "T" section slots in the top surface of the girder elements.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Having been so busy involved in other things, I've been neglecting the forum....and haven't said anything about The Bridge being invited to the Spalding MRC show over last weekend.

The show was quite busy...and there were many visitors that hadn't seen T gauge before....but also a lot of visitors who'd seen the layout before...and were enquiring about my next project!!

One outcome from this show is that the layout has got to have some TLC before its next outing. Track joints are getting very worn and loose, etc, and the signals all need replacing...as does the temporary wiring I did when I fitted the DCC boxes. I had a fault develop at one end of the layout that prevented me using the automation...and I had to run trains manually.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby gbtrains » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi Dough

Well your layout has been out alot and T-guage is still new for building layouts up and then packing them back down so I think that it has done very well on the wear and tear. :)

Hope you can still hav the singal lights all repaired as this really wows the audiance with how small it all is. :D

Regards
Graham
gbtrains

Previous

Return to T Gauge Layouts