•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Blender -> Inkscape -> Silhouette

Postby ivanf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi,

I've found that it's possible to export models created in Blender, mess with then in Inkscape, and load then into the software for my silhouette cutter thing.

Blender has alternative rendering engines... one called freestyle lets you do line drawings which can be exported as SVG files... then it's just a case of plodding through a few steps and your ready for cutting.

Tests on paper worked, just waiting for some thin plastic card and I can cut some windows for a proper go.

Inkscape can also be used to produce pictures for making etched brass and laser cutting.

So for me ( and anyone else who knows blender ) it opens up a lot of options other than 3d printing for making stuff.

In a bit more detail... render in blender with an orthographic projection and freestyle enabled

windows.jpg
windows.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 312 times

that creates an .SVG which imports into Inkscape...

inkscape.png
inkscape.png (24.43 KiB) Viewed 312 times

and a small amount of fiddling, saving as .Dxf and opening in Silhouette...

cutter.png
cutter.png (28.58 KiB) Viewed 312 times

or with a bit more work in inkscape... a picture that can ( hopefully ) be used to create etched brass...

points.png
points.png (14.29 KiB) Viewed 312 times

and as a bonus feature, you can do plans of 3d models... this is for a Z scale project but you get the idea...

e2.png
e2.png (15.43 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Ivan
ivanf

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge