•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Re: The next train arriving at Platform One is.....

Postby dkightley » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks for the comments....

I'm currently awaiting some laser printer transfer paper to try out. The transfer material I used on the above units was the inkjet printer paper....which you have to coat with lacquer before wetting to stop the ink from running.

I've had mixed success over the past few days with the inkjet paper. It's very sensitive to the lacquer. Put on too little and the transfer stretches very easily; put on too much and it doesn't comply well with the surface; leave the lacquer to dry too long and it tends to crack/tear very easily. Also, take too long to position the transfer and things go wrong very fast...the edge curls under and stick to the back of the transfer permanently!....and you have to abort. I'm hoping the laser transfer paper will be more consistent to use and go on easier!

What I'm planning to do is to put the shells on sale in the shop and make multi-layer generic livery decal files available to download so customers can download and create their favourite livery on decals to apply themselves. I'll provide general guidance instructions on how to modify the design and print and apply the transfers. I'll probably also make the transfer files I've developed for my own use freely available for download at a later date.

And the 170 will easily convert to a 357.....I'll add it to the list. I've already modded the 170's nose to make it look better. As soon as I can get a decent transfer to apply, I'll put up a photo.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby mattd10 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks Doug! Appreciate that! Let me know if you want and of the previous designs I've drawn up in sketchup to have a play around with. I appreciate it's probably easier to start from scratch than amend a previously drawn model. If you're interested I have a class 158 (or 159), 450 (so also 350), 444 (stretched version of the 450), 220 (so also 221,222) and 313 (314,315). I never got as far as a test print/fit but they are all designed around an adjustable chassis and there seems to be some success on here with the class 158. Let me know!
mattd10

Postby dkightley » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:31 pm

The laser transfer paper arrived this morning......and a first trial of this paper was encouraging.

Firstly, the consistency of the transfers is guaranteed as there's no variable caused by applying a layer of lacquer. The surface of the transfer is matt...as opposed to whatever finish the lacquer has. But most importantly, I found the transfers far easier to apply...no tendency to curl, and once I adopted a confident approach, applying was quite straight forward. Not easy.....but with practise, not too daunting!

Photos to follow once the transfers have dried fully and the shells finished off with a splash of matt black on the underside and ends.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby gbtrains » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi Doug
Keep up the good work on the 3d printer UK rolling stock.

Can not wait till they come out. :lol:

Regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby dkightley » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Having taken a set of both the class 170s and 180s to the Elizabethan show I was able to do some test running......which was not good! Both sets ran okay on the straights, but both derailed on running round the run-around loops.

To test things further I've had to put together a test running track...something I've never had, and now I can test all of my rolling stock as I develop it!!!...rather than having to wait for me to assemble a layout!

Running these sets on the test track has highlighted that I've not left enough clearance around the bogies and couplings, resulting in the bogies being prevented from turning and individual power cars/carriages jump off the track!! I'm currently going through a rehash of the 170 power unit shell to mod it so the couplings are not fouled. Progress over the next week or so will unfortunately be hampered due to family commitments.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:23 pm

First set of v2 shells in white on the printer as I type. Had ran out of white a week or so ago and the order took longer to arrive than expected....

May not the chance to test run them until nearer the weekend. :( :( If they run okay, I'll need to adjust the decal files slightly...and then do the whole process for the 180s.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby gbtrains » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi Doug

Can not wait for them to be on the Taking T Gauge Shop.

Do you think that you can do decals for the class 180 in Trans-Pennine (blue)Livery?

regards

Graham
gbtrains

Postby dkightley » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:47 am

I've now got the 170 shells fitting well and not fouling when running.....and printing consistently, which is good.

I still need to check the fit of the decal masters before I put them in the shop.....but I'm still struggling to get time to get this done due to other commitments. Who says you have nothing to do once you retire????
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby gbtrains » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Doug

Ya no what you mean.

I will wait for them to be placed on the Talking tgauge website .
Do you know what you might be retaining them at for non transfers and tranfers models?

regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby dkightley » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 pm

I've not done any pricing up for these sets yet......but they'll only be available in freshly printed white PLA with no decals supplied.

As I've stated on an earlier post, I will be making available a download of a master decal design for each shell type that can be easily modified to create your favourite livery. I'll be providing a guide on how to mod the files...and some notes on applying the decals once printed on stock decal paper.

I've adopted this approach so I can easily bring the shells to market without any delays due to copyright and permission issues for the array of liveries out there.

The decal image files can be easily edited using 2D graphics programs that are either cheap or are freeware, and then printed using any fairly modern inkjet or laser printer on water-slide decal paper. The decals can then be applied to the shells and "fixed" if required with varnish...although inkjet printed decals will need to be sealed before applying to stop the ink from running.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge