•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

kickstarter funded printer looks interesting

Postby Nutter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Might be interesting for T gauge when available 😉
Search OLO 3D .
Could not post link from phone.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos. Happy to spot potential problems that other people may have overlooked.
Nutter

Re: kickstarter funded printer looks interesting

Postby dkightley » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Hmm!

A swimming pool full of hype.....and almost no mention of what resolution this device will print at! And none of the photos of sample prints have anything to give a size or quality reference.

Afraid I don't fall for the "Buy this 3D printer and you can print the world." hype.

This device uses your smart phone exclusively for anything from half an hour up to a few hours, has XYZ resolution capabilities that is dependant on your phone...and more than likely will be awful!!! I'm not convinced this so called printer is more than just a gimmick.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Nutter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Just thought I would bring it to peoples attention. Personally I feel more information is required but until it is in production you can't really tell.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos. Happy to spot potential problems that other people may have overlooked.
Nutter

Postby ncdtrains » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:38 am

32 micron resolution.

True the xy resolution is dependent upon your device.

As for tying up your phone for a few hours, two ways to look at it.

It will keep me off facebook, ebay, amazon, among other things. On the contrary, I have an array of Galaxy notes laying around, I can just take one of them and use it and not tie up my phone.

I kinda disagree. I think the device will set a new standard for low price, high quality printing becoming available to the average user. I've done quite a bit of research on resin printers. I have a couple form1 clones and just recently bought Connor L's littlerp from him. The technology is definitely there for a device like the olo.

Photecentric is a company that already has devices using the same tech on the market. Photocentric3d.com has a couple lcd 3d printers available.

They talk about being able offer a device with a 40"+ lcd and height extensions that could print a life size 3d human being. The tech is proven to work.

I backed olo at the 2 pack level.

Time will tell.

I do most of my 3d printing currently on my Zortrax M200. Soon setting up the littlerp resin printer I recently got from Connor to do some t gauge stuff, since trainaids is no longer in business.
ncdtrains

Postby ivanf » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:47 pm

there's some numbers on the olo kickstarter page... X-Y resolution: up to 0.042 mm (quality dep. on device) , Z resolution: up to 0.036 mm (0.12 mm in quick-mode)

Even if you add on the cost of a dedicated smart phone it's still a pretty cheap way to a 3d printer.

I'm wondering who will be the first to have a print ruined by leaving their phone on vibrate mode while it's printing. :)

The interesting thing about photocentric is their resin. It cures in regular light rather than UV light so post processing is just a dunk in water rather than a turn in a UV oven. Also you can clean it in water rather than acetone. That's mostly what put me off form1s... and moonray for that matter... and the titan1... I've been looking at resin printers for a while... :)

It's also interesting that they're splitting off all the intelligence from the printer - once you've got rid of all that you've just looking at a vat for the resin and a motor to lift the build plate up and down. So the printer end's up being a cheap simple part but as I don't have a smart phone I'd rather have one that plugged into a regular pc as a second monitor.

I'm a teeny bit biased though as I ordered an LC Mini in jan. (Just heard that the delivery date has slipped till June). Not expecting too much but I'm hoping I'll be able to use it to proof designs and get a better turn around on things I'm working on. Being a bit tight I tend to wait till I have £30 or so worth of models to print before sending an order to offset the postage so each design can take months.

I'n not convince that it or the OLO are the definitive printer for T-Gauge but I'm fairly convinced that one along those lines will be in the not too distant future.

Also shapeways have started offering this kind of printing - from what I've seen it's offering better quality and consistency than FUD although their current pricing strategy rules it out for smaller scales.
ivanf

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge