•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

scaling and height

Postby caitlin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:01 pm

This looks about the right size:

Hold up though, this doesn't at all!

would one print this bigger, or sit it on a raised embankment.
Also, that's my first try at a print, could have gone worse, could have been a much better colour of PLA!
caitlin

Re: scaling and height

Postby Nutter » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Found that a problem in order scales, the thing about designing track side accessories for stuff with integrated track beds
is people forget to factor the roadbed into the height required.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

Postby caitlin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:28 pm

but is my general scaling of the object right? should i just extend it downwards by the height of the track, or would i scale it up by say 20% overall.
I'm not really sure what the best approach is.
caitlin

Postby dkightley » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Mike's taken the words out of my mouth.:D :D ;)

I was just about to post the same comment.

And to answer your question, take a look at the platform sections in the Talking T Gauge Shop.....and you'll see I've put the platform structure on its own little platform to compensate for the built-in track bed.

On the platforms I've done for my Bridge layout, I still needed to build the platform up....but by the height of a sleeper. I'm using flexitrack.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Nutter » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:18 am

The thing that I have done in the past is to try and get the ground level that platforms etc are being built on the same as the lower height of the sleepers, especially in other scales because it gives you more scope, also by building up the ground you can then use the slope on the track bed sides to simulate drainage channels by the track.
The same height difference will apply to bridges and tunnel mouths or any over track structure
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge