•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

shapeways print orientation

Postby ivanf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 pm

shapeways have a thread where they are asking if anyone wants the ability to orient their prints...

anyone using them who has a view the thread is here https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=27705&start=0&
ivanf

Re: shapeways print orientation

Postby dkightley » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm afraid I lost confidence in Shapeways to do anything about the issue of differring orientation almost three years ago. I believe they were talking about giving a choice over orientation back then....but did nothing!

It was certainly about that time when I complained about two identical parts being supplied with amazingly different surface finishes ...and got no reprint or refund offered....just a recommendation to lightly sand the surface!. Here's a photo I took at the time. You might just be able to tell which is the good one.
Img_0270_red.jpg
Img_0270_red.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby JBModels » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 am

dkightley wrote:I'm afraid I lost confidence in Shapeways to do anything about the issue of differring orientation almost three years ago. I believe they were talking about giving a choice over orientation back then....but did nothing!

It was certainly about that time when I complained about two identical parts being supplied with amazingly different surface finishes ...and got no reprint or refund offered....just a recommendation to lightly sand the surface!. Here's a photo I took at the time. You might just be able to tell which is the good one.
Img_0270_red.jpg

I'm with you on this.....And anything in T-gauge is greatly affected. Infact they said that print orientation was what they thought of before but never intended to implement as it would raise costs and print time etc.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Postby ivanf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:52 pm

I remember this coming up a few times in the past and the stock excuse being it would make prints too expensive.. without any discussion of how much more expensive it would be...

I don't think this is the only issue either... if your part is printed at the correct orientation but is at the bottom of the print tray then it will be fairly poor due to being burried in support material.

So I doubt they will do anything about this but I see it as a positive step that they are actually asking people what they think - I think both your comments are the sort of thing they want to hear so it might be worthwhile hopping over there to make your views felt.

I can see what you mean Doug... I've had similer... customer service has gone downhill since then... there used to be a point in contacting them... they will do reprints of missing or broken parts but otherwise your just wasting your time.

I remember a while back they sent out a customer satisfaction survey that amounted to 'tell us what you like about shapeways' with no place for any for of criticism... even constructive so it was worthless and I didn't bother.

It's good if this is a sign that they are moving away from just changing things... remember the WSF price drop recently...? drop to iphone case makers but if you were doing trains a huge price hike. And did it in such as way as to remove any markup that might be set on models so without hours of trawling through their dismally slow website no more money would be made.

Or a couple of years back when they changed their unofficial guidelines to the people manning the reject button without any warning.... lead to a surge of rejected models and lost sails in the run up to christmas.

It's things like this that lead to my periodic 'total enthusiasm failures' where I give up on them for a few months before having another go.

I only use them as they are cheap and run the shop service reasonably well and because a printer with the level of detail I want isn't available at a reasonable price yet.

I didn't get a form1 as I thought it better to wait till they produced a version too... looked at the form 1+ and nearly bit but the detail wasn't quite what I wanted.... Moonray is looking good https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sp ... 3d-printer although it will be a year or so before a version 2 comes along. Then form labs came up with a tougher abs-like resin that had me thinking again.

Which leaves me stuck with shapeways for now...
ivanf

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge