•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Re: The making of a viaduct..

Postby dkightley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:05 pm

I've reached the point of readiness for printing.

I'll need four six arch sections:
Capture222.JPG
Capture222.JPG (116.98 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

Four six arch road sections:
Capture333.JPG
Capture333.JPG (79.24 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

Stonework and a short road sections for one end:
Capture444.JPG
Capture444.JPG (95.31 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

And stonework and a short road section for the other end:
Capture555.JPG
Capture555.JPG (84.19 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

And here's the whole viaduct in all it's glory:
Capture111.JPG
Capture111.JPG (81.4 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

It'll take a while to print....I'll have to schedule the printing very carefully. Each six arch section will take over 20 hours to print!! :shock:
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby JBModels » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:52 am

It looks well..... 20 hours!! A pretty long time.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Postby dkightley » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Here's one reason why 3D printing is not actually a "breakthrough" for mass-production.....but an asset for prototyping.

For example a Lego brick that takes 15 seconds to make (along with half a dozen other similar bricks) by injection moulding (where 14 of those seconds is cooling time!) can take as long as 15 minutes to make on a typical FFF 3D printer. The big difference that does matter is the cost. To injection mould one sample new brick would cost in excess of £10,000 in tooling and labour costs.....but less than £20 in labour costs to 3D print, and it can be re-designed and re-printed many, many times in the same time it woukd take to produce one set of moulding tools..

Coming back to the subject in hand, yes, 20 hours is a long time. But in terms of what the printing process is, we're looking at a lot of work the printer has to do....and it doesn't really matter how long it does take providing the end product is good quality and unique!

I'm actually setting up to print the stonework sections from files I'll be writing and copying to a SD card reader in the printer....so I don't need to have my PC connected and running during the print process.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Nutter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Very interesting regarding print times, however it will look good when finished , when will you get back to updates on the bridge.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos. Happy to spot potential problems that other people may have overlooked.
Nutter

Postby JBModels » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:49 am

There's also the option of making 1 or 2 master prints and then making moulds for resin cast stuff too. The good thing is that with multiple moulds you can cast multiple objects and speed up the process in case you want to sell stuff like this.

I'd prefer the 3D printing method also no matter what the time is.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Postby dkightley » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 am

Nutter wrote:...when will you get back to updates on the bridge

I've had a rather busy and exhausting time over the past few weeks; preparing for and running a 7 day WW2 event at the Museum, clearing up afterwards, and manning a 3D printing demonstration at a models event at the museum over last weekend. Today I've just about managed to get the house straight ( ;) :roll: :shock: ) so I can now start concentrating again on The Bridge again. With something like 10 months to it's first booked outing, I need to crack on with it!
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Managed to get a bit of print time in for this project...

Here's the two small end rail deck sections and one of the viaduct end sections:
Img_2185_red.jpg
Img_2185_red.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 1500 times

And here's one of the rail deck sections in place on top of the end section:
Img_2188_red.jpg
Img_2188_red.jpg (80.76 KiB) Viewed 1500 times

Most of this will be buried under the ground surface...this bit is the very end of the viaduct and the viaduct proper will go off to the right
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby dkightley » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:02 pm

First of the rail deck sections fresh off the printer:
IMG_2194_red.JPG
IMG_2194_red.JPG (53.63 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

This wasn't actually the first one to be printed...it's the third! The first two suffered one of the big problems with fff printing - separation from the bed!

What happens is that as the plastic cools, it wants to contract, and this contraction sets up terrific stresses in the plastic that can "curl" the extremities away from the bed.....resulting in a print that can be best described as "banana shaped". One cure...as you can see I have used here....is to add "mouse ears" (the name coined from Mickey Mouse, btw!!) to the corners to increase the surface area in contact with the bed to stop the curling. Because I have been using a raft, I simply had to add the mouse ears to the raft by dropping in small discs. Where a raft is not used, the ears would have to be attached to the part being printed.

All I need to do to finish this section is carefully prise off the raft and the support structure underneath....and remove the support inside the track grooves. And not forgetting, print the other three.....
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby barneyadi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Looking great Doug, keep up the good work.
barneyadi

Postby dkightley » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:10 pm

After a marathon of just under 15 hours printing, hot off the press is the first of four six-arch sections:
IMG_2197_red.JPG
IMG_2197_red.JPG (81.01 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

It's still stuck to the build plate and has all its supports underneath the arches.

After several light taps with a chisel handle, the section released from the build plate....and the support came away nice and easily. And less than 5 minutes after the above shot, here's the section roughly assembled with it's rail deck...and the viaduct end section:
IMG_2199_red.JPG
IMG_2199_red.JPG (67.78 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

Three arch sections and t'ther end to go!....having got all four of the rail deck sections printed.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge