Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Upping the resolution...

Postby dkightley » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Ever since I got my printer, it's had a 0.4 mm diameter extrusion nozzle and I've been able to print objects using layer thicknesses from 0.35 mm down to 0.05 mm. This has had an effect on the resolution I could design and print objects at.

Today, I bit the bullet and swapped out the 0.4 mm nozzle for a 0.2 mm nozzle. After nearly the rest of the day....and at least 12 iterations of modding the printer settings, I've finally been able to get a first object to print at a higher resolution.....an updated version of my Bany Deltic, where I've been able to add a few extra details.

Here's a couple of photos of both the new and old shells sid by side. Beware....the camera never lies!
P1010441_red.JPG
P1010441_red.JPG (72.56 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
P1010440_red.JPG
P1010440_red.JPG (42.92 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Upping the resolution...

Postby henningz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:37 am

Good work...And after a smooth sanding and fine painting there would be no optical difference to Shapeway's FUD from - let's say - 2 feet watching distance :D
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons
henningz

Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Postby JBModels » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:15 am

Massive improvement I mist say! And incredible for what I presume is a home 3D printer??

Cheers!
JBModels.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Postby dkightley » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Now I've proved I can get a higher resolution finish, I'll have to set aside some time to put into place some of the developmant plans I've had for a while.

No promises or announcements yet..but I'm hopeful to get some development time in the next month or two. ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge